Wheel Clutch

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
icepick

Wheel Clutch

Post by icepick »

In the process of removing the hub nut, (which was WAY over torqued) on the clutch of my 93 KDX 200, I broke one of the clutch spring guides, on the Wheel Clutch,(Kawasaki P/N 13086-1060) its where one of the five bolts secure the spring holder. will re-using this part with out the 5th spring cause any issues? can I put it together and ride it till the new one comes in? or will running it with only 4 springs ruin my new plates?
Also what is the benefit of filing the basket?
Thanks
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Wheel Clutch

Post by bufftester »

First...that sucks
Running only 4 springs is likely to give you poor performance, and will subject your basket to some funky uneven torque conditions. I definitely wouldn't run it with new plates until you replace the part. I probably would try it with the old plates though, just out of curiosity :hmm:
The benefits of filing the basket are only really apparent when your clutch basket fingers become notched, which results is rough or irregular clutch action. The notches can prevent the plates from moving freely and hang when pulling or releasing the clutch. Filing them down resolves that.