Yet another possible hybrid project

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
bondo

Yet another possible hybrid project

Post by bondo »

I have an '89 (?) kx 125 (last year before the perimeter frame.).
That I would like to bring back to life for my young adult daughter to use as a trailbike. We ride mostly tight single track and, even though she has some experience, I'm concerned the kx motor would be just too unfriendly and too much work for her to have any fun.

The obvious solution is to graft a kdx motor into the kx rolling chassis.
I would like to keep the cost and the complexity of the project down as much as possible. Does anyone know if an '89 kdx motor is a direct bolt-in to the '89 kx 125 frame? Looked up the parts online and the results were inconclusive. The lower ends on both bikes look the same and they share some (but not all) of the bearings and seals.

Does anyone have experience with the '89 bikes? Any and all comments will be welcome.
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

I don't think it would be a direct install, but it would probably fit with a little modification. I am getting ready to start on a 99+ KX Frame with a 200 Motor...Should be a fun winter project!

Luke
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Same poster as over at dirtflamer, i guess? Good to see you made it over here :)

There are a few of us here that have 89's. It's important to note, as far as the engine goes, 1989-94 (e series) were the same. It's the E series engine you are interested in. There is no need to focus on 1989 in particular.

I'm sure you'd have to massage some mounts and such, but my guess would be that it is not as involved as a kdx engine into a newer KDX. The KX125 and KDX of that era had a lot more in common than an H series KDX has with a late model kx125.

I'm sure it would make a neat bike for your daughter :)

J.