Ok I am taking the Hybrid Plunge

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Kman6287
Supporting Member

Post by Kman6287 »

Took her out and got her dirty today...WOW this bike moves! The suspension hits the square edge bumps great and still takes jumps (I only did small ones) well. The Flexx bars seem stiff so I am going to go down on the elastomers one size and see what it does. Looking forward to riding her at Loretta Lynns in a few weeks to see how she does on those big hills with jumps.

Glad I did this as it was just what I was looking for, 125 weight with the KDX 220 lug and "on the pipe" feel.

Only bad thing was that it just didn't feel right getting it dirty so I had to wash if for an hour after riding...not sure how long that will last!

Thanks for the comments but most of all thanks to all on this website that contributed their hybrid build experiences, especially the extra help I received from THill
2003 KX 220 Hybrid - RB Head & Carb, Dyna Ring, Flexx Bars
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:...with better ergonomics....
That is a matter of opinion my friend! I love the ergos of my E series KDX! Especially after spending the day today riding a WR250F. Talk about uncomfortable and feeling totally foreign, 4t and modern ergos...ugh!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

Sweet! Enjoy it, my friend. According to my calculations 17.5423% of your old KDX is living on through my bike!
THill

Post by THill »

Kman she turned out REAL nice, darn good job !
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
Kman6287
Supporting Member

Post by Kman6287 »

Thanks for the compliments! Took out on a Motocross track over the weekend. Ran great but the suspension was just a bit too soft for doubles. Thats a good thing as I built it to be a woods bike since it is rare that I ride moto.

jad628, hope that the parts are working out for!
eepime

Post by eepime »

Kman, great job
Where did you get your suspension revalved, and did you sell the kx125 motor? I am starting on my own hybrid and am going to have a 2002 kx 125 motor and some spare kdx parts to sell also.
Kman6287
Supporting Member

Post by Kman6287 »

>|<>QBB<
eepime wrote:Kman, great job
Where did you get your suspension re-valved, and did you sell the kx125 motor? I am starting on my own hybrid and am going to have a 2002 kx 125 motor and some spare kdx parts to sell also.
I had the suspension rebuilt, re-sprung for my weight, and re-valved for woods riding by the House of Horsepower in Oklahoma City. This was the single most expensive part of the project but probably the most important! They came highly recommended by a lot of woods riders. There are a lot of other suspension folks out there but I felt good getting first hand personal recommendations on House of Horsepower. One thing I liked about house of horsepower is that they turned them around in a week! RaceTech and some others quoted 4-6 weeks. That was around Christmas time and they said they were slow then. So far they are working just like I needed them to work but have only done two rides, one woods in which they performed perfectly and one moto which they did well but on the soft side (which is what I wanted since I rarely do moto).

I was able to sell off most of my KDX parts very easily through this site. For probably close to two weeks I didn't make much progress on my bike as all I was doing in my free time was weighing and shipping the KDX parts. However the selling off of the parts paid for a good portion of the project and helped out other KDX riders so it was a win-win.

I haven't sold the KX engine just yet, I am going to put it on eBay and see what happens. I just have been procrastinating doing it. I think the karting folks would be the market and they seem to sell between $300-$800+

It was a fun project and I find myself a bit bored in my free time as I don't have the project to work on, just waiting for the weather to improve so I can ride her more!
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Kman6287 wrote:Thanks for the compliments! Took out on a Motocross track over the weekend. Ran great but the suspension was just a bit too soft for doubles. Thats a good thing as I built it to be a woods bike since it is rare that I ride moto.

jad628, hope that the parts are working out for!
Working out just fine!
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

Nice Job!
looks great!