Hybrid report

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hybrid report

Post by frankenschwinn »

So I have ridden the hybrid several times now. I have the suspension pretty close to what I need/want. All fab work is done and temp paint is done. Waiting on a new petcock that resolves a clearance issue but that is the final issue to resolve.

So far it has exceeded expectations. My avg speed on a trail I have ridden a lot has immediately jumped by several MPH. The bike has been extremely solid. No breaks, rattles, or any other mech issues related to the engine swap.

I spent about 400.00 on parts out of pocket including the frame but only 100.00 out of my checkbook. With the parts I was able to sell from the KX and KDX I was able to do this project for a total of 100.00 out of pocket and I still have some $$$ left from other parts sales.

It def would have been easier to buy a new bike that was purpose built but I really enjoy this kind of thing. And I now have something truly unique that is designed specifically for me and my needs/wants.

The only downside to this build is that I lost nearly a gallon on capacity in the gas tank. I have purchased an IMS (UGLY)but fitting it has proven somewhat difficult. I will get it fitted and use it for longer rides/races as I would like more than a 40 mile range for those times. I think I stioll have some jetting to do that will also help that as well
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Clark doesn't make a high capacity tank? Those are the only ones I would use.... I HATE IMS TANKS!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Clark doesn't make a high capacity tank? Those are the only ones I would use.... I HATE IMS TANKS!
I got this one on the cheap. I don't really need more capacity most of the time but during an enduro it would give me a little piece of mind. The big issue with the IMS is molding it to fit It is different than a stock tank which is easy to mold. It is much thicker.

If I can find a clark that is inexpensive enough I may go that route. Or I may get a number plate tank for those occasions where more range is needed.
HRDROKN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Hybrid report

Post by HRDROKN »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote: So far it has exceeded expectations. My avg speed on a trail I have ridden a lot has immediately jumped by several MPH. The bike has been extremely solid. No breaks, rattles, or any other mech issues related to the engine swap.

I spent about 400.00 on parts out of pocket including the frame but only 100.00 out of my checkbook. With the parts I was able to sell from the KX and KDX I was able to do this project for a total of 100.00 out of pocket and I still have some $$$ left from other parts sales.

It def would have been easier to buy a new bike that was purpose built but I really enjoy this kind of thing. And I now have something truly unique that is designed specifically for me and my needs/wants.
Good to hear that the hybrid works well.....

And you did a heck of a job keeping the cost under control!

:supz:
HRDROKN
00' KTM 300exc (sold)
99'/03' KXD Hybrid, ****'s Racing Susp, RB carb / head mod.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Hybrid report

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
HRDROKN wrote:
Good to hear that the hybrid works well.....

And you did a heck of a job keeping the cost under control!

:supz:
I bought only what I needed for the bike to work well. No bling and no accesories. That will come with time :grin: