Clarify what pipe for a 92 E mtor in a 2001 KX125 frame -thx

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
500 HORS

Clarify what pipe for a 92 E mtor in a 2001 KX125 frame -thx

Post by 500 HORS »

Moving slowly on my hybrid, but have money for a pipe and want to get the closest/best fitting one.
This is a 2001 KX 125 frame, with an E series motor.
Do i get a 2001 KX 250 pipe?
If so what make and type - i'd favor torque over top end.
thx,
CRAIG
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

You will need to customize an H series 200 pipe to fit. The KIPS machinery on the E motor gets in the way of a "lo boy" style pipe that the newer KX chassis requires. Unfortunately, there's no bolt-on pipe for an E motor in a KX chassis. The E pipe sweeps up way too high and it will interfere with the radiator and tank. Plus, you'd have to modify the stinger section to get it around the airbox and shock. If you had an older KX, say from the early 90s, you might get an E pipe to fit without too many mods, but with any modern chassis, you have to use an H pipe and modify it to work with the E. This entails putting a big dent into the expansion chamber to clear the KIPS, cutting and re-angling the stinger to meet up with the silencer, and repositioning the lower mount. At least that's how I did it. Pro Circuit Platinum 2 on an E motor in a 2003 KX chassis.
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I been meaning to ask you dfeckel, how are you liking that motor?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I've got it running well, finally! On its maiden voyage back in May, I siezed the piston. It looked like a four-corners siezure. The primary reason was that I neglected to tighten the airbox boot on the carb, and since I was using the KX boot, I had a nice 1mm gap all around the carb and I think I sucked enough sand a dirt to sieze. The other possibility is there was a sizing discrepancy between the forged Wiseco and the Powerseal refurbished cylinder. Maybe old crank seals made a lean condition, too? I never rebuilt the bottom end, so that was a possibility. I took this opportunity to teach myself how to split cases and rebuild a bottom end. So, I've only had a couple rides on it, but so far I love the motor. RB head and carb, V Force 3, PC pipe and silencer all give me lots of low end, a stonkin mid once the power valves open, and an okay top end. I seldom rev out the motor in the riding I do, so I think it'll work out to be the perfect power. I still want an auto clutch, though...
David Eckel