2005 Hybrid Build.

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Bouillion

2005 Hybrid Build.

Post by Bouillion »

Well we finally got the 02 KDX220r motor in the 05 KX yesterday. Now we need to get the motor mounts tacked in place for final weld. I think we are going to remove the front head stay since I've seen several builds that did not use it?

Since I'm not going to change out rims and tires at this point, can anyone recommend the best sprocket set-up for woods riding using the 19" KX wheels? Thanks

P.S. Sprocket on the motor in the pic was the result of installing the V-force reeds!

[img[img]http:1024:768]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll16 ... MG3098.jpg[/img]
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Coming along nicely!

I'd do airbox and pipe before settling down on the motor mounts.

I think this is not your first hybrid, though, is it?

I like stock 13/47 ratio. The 19" wheel does not change that - if you measure the OD of a 19" it'll be about the same as an 18". The difference comes out in the tire profile
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

This is our first Hybrid. Prob not our last though. I bet doing airbox first would be smart, that would give us less time fighting with getting carb to fit right afterward. Thanks!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What pipe are you going to use?
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

The Gnarly. Its a bit bent bc I took a pretty hard crash on the KDX. We will have to bend it back to fit correctly. I dotn have the pic on here yet, but we fitted it up with the pipe already. fits pretty well. How critical do you guys think it is that we do airbox mod before we do motor mounts? The motor can only move about an inch.
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Motor mounts ought to be last, actually

Air box, pipe, carb, gas tank, make sure no two objects want to occupy the same space,

Karl
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

looks like we could get KX boot to fit KDX carb if we just tighten it enough. Anyone see a prob with that?
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
KDX220rser wrote:looks like we could get KX boot to fit KDX carb if we just tighten it enough. Anyone see a prob with that?
Many have done that.

I think I remember seeing someone who had a spacer made that fit on the outside of the carb and eliminated the gap when using the KX boot.

I made the KDX boot fit the KX box. I didn't want to take a chance on not tightening the boot down enough and allowing dirt in.
Bouillion

Post by Bouillion »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:>|<>QBB<
KDX220rser wrote:looks like we could get KX boot to fit KDX carb if we just tighten it enough. Anyone see a prob with that?
Many have done that.

I think I remember seeing someone who had a spacer made that fit on the outside of the carb and eliminated the gap when using the KX boot.

I made the KDX boot fit the KX box. I didn't want to take a chance on not tightening the boot down enough and allowing dirt in.
That's the route we took. Made a simple adapter plate and used the KDX boot with the KX box. I think its a better fix?

Thanks
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

>|<>QBB<
Bouillion wrote:>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Many have done that.

That's the route we took. Made a simple adapter plate and used the KDX boot with the KX box. I think its a better fix?

Thanks
Looks ugly though...
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Looks ugly though...
I bet if I painted the aluminum black 99% of anyone looking at the bike would ever know that an adapter plate was used.

Even if some consider it ugly, I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that clean air is getting into my engine rather than wondering "did I tighten the clamp down enough" and risk dirt getting in the engine.

The other advantage to using the plate is that it gives you some flexibility in how you place the engine in the KX frame. Sprocket position and pipe clearance where more critical to me, I worried about the air boot last. I made sure my front sprocket was where it needed to be. I then made sure my pipe had enough clearance and all the other parts fit properly. My last step was making the plate and dealing with where the air boot needed to be.

I'm not trying to preach this is the best or only way, but for my bike it was the way I wanted to tackle the problem.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Looks fine.

On my CR job the shock spring rubs lightly against the boot. Were I not so lazy I'd take it all apart and figure out how to move the boot left just a bit, kinda like you did.

Instead, I am monitoring the situation. If it wears a hole through the boot I'll know I monitored it too long...... :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Then it's just a matter of the best invention ever, black gorilla tape :lol:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Bouillion

Post by Bouillion »

>|QBB<[/url]
Tedh98 wrote:
Looks ugly though...
I bet if I painted the aluminum black 99% of anyone looking at the bike would ever know that an adapter plate was used.

Even if some consider it ugly, I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that clean air is getting into my engine rather than wondering "did I tighten the clamp down enough" and risk dirt getting in the engine.

The other advantage to using the plate is that it gives you some flexibility in how you place the engine in the KX frame. Sprocket position and pipe clearance where more critical to me, I worried about the air boot last. I made sure my front sprocket was where it needed to be. I then made sure my pipe had enough clearance and all the other parts fit properly. My last step was making the plate and dealing with where the air boot needed to be.

I'm not trying to preach this is the best or only way, but for my bike it was the way I wanted to tackle the problem.
My son is not very complimentary of my work thats all. Hum, I wonder where he gets thats from?

I think your mode looks pretty clean. Mine is not complete yet I just mocked it up to set the motor mounts. I'll post pics after I complete it that way everyone can judge for them self. I'm old and take constructive criticism pretty well.
Bouillion

Frame Modes Done! I'm getting excited about this project!

Post by Bouillion »

Here are a few pics of the motor mounts welded up, clearance on the pipe and the tank. So far, this project has been too easy? I'll blast the frame tomorrow, then due to time issue with the powder coating, I decided to invest in an air compressor and spray gun. I've painted several cars in my previous life so I'm just going to go with a little Imron paint and do it myself?

If everything goes as planned I'll be in the re-assembly mode as soon as this Sunday!Image
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

Looking nice!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Bouillion

Post by Bouillion »

>|<>QBB<
KDX220rser wrote:Looking nice!
Thanks buddy! Now all you have to do is teach me to ride? KTM Killer Coming your way soon.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That is looking very nice.

You should see mine......It looks like a ragged out '99 CR250 with a KDX motor in it.

It is!

Are those frame loop thingy's too far back? The one on the brake side looks like it would get in the way of a foot on the brake?
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote: Are those frame loop thingy's too far back? The one on the brake side looks like it would get in the way of a foot on the brake?
No they should be fine. They are in exactly the same place that the KDX had them. Right under water pump. Should work out nicely.
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

>|QBB<[/url]
KarlP wrote:That is looking very nice.

You should see mine......It looks like a ragged out '99 CR250 with a KDX motor in it.

It is!

Are those frame loop thingy's too far back? The one on the brake side looks like it would get in the way of a foot on the brake?
The brake pedal stops right by the sight glass at the clutch cover.
[img][img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee35 ... 001-11.jpg[/img][/img]
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300