E motor in 2001 kx frame - head stay question

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
500 HORS

E motor in 2001 kx frame - head stay question

Post by 500 HORS »

I started my hybrid project. My 1992 E motor has the rear only head stay mount. Just curious if anyone has done this swap and has a pic of how it was done.
I've seen it after searching but only on a 2006 frame.
thx.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Does your KX have provisions for a rear headstay? Does it use both? If you have a rear headstay, make new brackets and use just the rear. You can cut the front mounts off the frame.

Or you could get an H series head off fleabay--it should interchange. Then you'll have front and rear headstays. You'll just have to make more brackets, though.
David Eckel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

dunno if E series and H head are interchangeable...
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

You know, it probably won't now that I think about it. The difference in the powervavles probably necessitated a different shape.
David Eckel
500 HORS

Post by 500 HORS »

thx,
Yeh I guess I'll ask about head interchangeability...
It would be nice to use the front, it would make routing the throttle cable easier and frame mounts are there and beefy, there are no mounts on the rear of the 2001 Kx frame, but there is a decent spot to make one if need be.

Would it be OK to work of the head bolts with a mount?
SAPPER

Post by SAPPER »

posty pics wen ur all finished
real men measure with inches not centimeters

kx125 mine
kx250 dads
kx65 sisters
lt-z250 moms
500 HORS

Post by 500 HORS »

Decided to fab a front head stay. The rear just wont work with the KX tank, you need every mm of clearance. I hacked off the rear and used 2 front head studs - which needed to be lengthened - i used 8x1.25 all thread that was in stock at the local TruValue Hardware store. A piece of flat steel, some tubing and it hooks up to the stock KX mounting system.
Pics will be next...
HRDROKN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by HRDROKN »

>|<>QBB<
500 HORS wrote:Decided to fab a front head stay. The rear just wont work with the KX tank, you need every mm of clearance. I hacked off the rear and used 2 front head studs - which needed to be lengthened - i used 8x1.25 all thread that was in stock at the local TruValue Hardware store. A piece of flat steel, some tubing and it hooks up to the stock KX mounting system.
Pics will be next...
Did you get this done yet..... pics?

:cool: