new steed in the stable

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

new steed in the stable

Post by scheckaet »

well i finally pulled the trigger, found a 02 for 900 bux, (that's the cheapest i've seen around) .
I need to go through it in details but it looks in decent shape.
In any case that's what I'll have to work with.
I think this bike was stored outside, the plastic are badly faded, and the chain hasn't seen lubricant since it came out of the factory! :shock: poor bike, that's almost criminal!
The bad news: fork seals look shot, the rear suspension needs attention (a lot), chain, sprocket, tires gone, not a big deal I already planned on replacing all of that anyway and I'll have the suspension tuned right, there's a local shop with good reputation around; I want this done right the first time, don't want to screw around tuning suspensions, I just want to ride!
The good: no apparent crack on the frame I could see, no dent on the wheels, no ding on the fork, the rads are in excellent shape. Looks like it has aftermarket bars, pegs, frame guards, boyseen reeds, powercore pipe and silencer; and the engine fires up on 1st kick.

I'll start tearing her down in the next few days and see what's going on.

I'll be selling a few of my KDX parts soon, I'll post it in the for sale section and keep you all updated.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

update; got both bike torn down.
After inspecting the KX a bit closely I found a couple of bad news:
Broken mount on left radiator, I hope it can be welded

broken subframe, should be easy to weld.

Side note on the KX engine, i guess the pipe must have touched the engine.

I was hesitant to cut the swing arm myself, but i went for it.
Used a small grinder with a cutting wheel to cut most of it, then I finished it with a rasp.

I used the sleeve as a guide to check how flat it was and measured frequently with calipers to make sure I wasn't going too far. The metal is soft so it was pretty easy, just elbow grease.

I also cut the sleeved with the grinder the same amount I cut from the swing arm, turned out ok but not as flat (couldn't use the rasp, too hard), we'll see if it works or not.

Next will be to bore out the engine mount, might try with a drill if I can find the right size.
Last edited by scheckaet on 05:29 pm May 13 2010, edited 1 time in total.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:evil: still waiting for my engine to be done at the shop. This sucks t's been over a week, can't mock for the engine mount, basically stuck nowhere. :evil:

I did make an adapter plate out of aluminium for the air box, the 02 kx boot is WAY bigger than the kdx carb so I'll have to use the KDX one, now waiting for the engine so that I can finish that air box...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

some measurement:
engine mount:
KDX: 93.92 mm
KX: 75.75 mm

amount / side to cut on the KX swingarm:
(93.92-75.75)/2=9.085 mm / side

Amount really removed on swingarm:
Left: 8.02 mm
Right: 8.85 mm

Sleeve:
stock length-amount reomved on swingarm=final lenght sleeve
Left: 53.86-8.02=45.84 mm
Right: 53.98-8.85=45.13 mm

I removed less than needed, easier to remove more than getting another swingarm and sleeve...

I'm finally getting my engine back tomorrow, so I should make some more progress in the next few days :supz:
Air box fitment, mock up engine mount, pipe fitting. Need to see if I'll be able to use my busted FMF or not...
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Regarding the airboot, I was tickled to see that the boot on my '03 mated up perfectly to the KDX carb. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether the KDX clamp really seals the junction. It looks as if it does. If so, then it counterbalances all the work I need to do to get my PC pipe to fit right...

We're right at the same point in our builds--I'm designing frame mounts this weekend. I have to get them welded, since I am clueless in that area. Can't wait to see how yours comes together. Setting up for woods riding?
David Eckel
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Hi all, do you think a H series KDX 200 swingarm will fit a E series 200 chassis? after all the hybrid thread that i have read, it seems that even if it would not fit, some DIY to the mounting area will get it to fit in. just like the one above.
anyone ever tried it before? or any advise before DIY to look out for? Thanks. This is a great site!
A true KDX customizer!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote:Hi all, do you think a H series KDX 200 swingarm will fit a E series 200 chassis? after all the hybrid thread that i have read, it seems that even if it would not fit, some DIY to the mounting area will get it to fit in. just like the one above.
anyone ever tried it before? or any advise before DIY to look out for? Thanks. This is a great site!
no idea
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote:Hi all, do you think a H series KDX 200 swingarm will fit a E series 200 chassis? after all the hybrid thread that i have read, it seems that even if it would not fit, some DIY to the mounting area will get it to fit in. just like the one above.
There are allot of questions about E fitting H and vise versa.

Here is what you should assume given the frames and motors are completely different. Everything on these bikes were designed around that frame and motor. I always assume that no... they have no interchangable parts other than standard fitiment parts like handlebars, grips, and tires. Some maintenence items are similar but easily found for either bike.

I think of the bikes like the difference between Harley and Honda.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

pipe trouble: my new procircuit doesn't fit, hits the frame (down tube), I'd need a inch welded on the pipe to get it IN the cylinder.
So I tried my FMF (slightly bent out of shape) and same problem.
question 1: if I add an inch, how much will that change the characteristic of the pipe? Am I going to lose some bottom end or top end?
question 2: Is it better to just cut the flange, add a inch and reweld or get the flange of a stock (cheap pipe) pipe and weld?

Other question: anyone tried to adapt a FMF silencer instead of going to a stock 250 KX silencer?
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

hi inda, thanks for the advice, in that case think i better dont waste effort and money on the project. maybe it is better well spend else where. thanks again
A true KDX customizer!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

"I think of the bikes like the difference between Harley and Honda."

???You mean Harley makes motorcycle too??? :mrgreen:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

question 1: if I add an inch, how much will that change the characteristic of the pipe? Am I going to lose some bottom end or top end?
You'll loose a bit on top, gain a bit on bottom. Probably not a big deal
question 2: Is it better to just cut the flange, add a inch and reweld or get the flange of a stock (cheap pipe) pipe and weld?
I had the same issue. I think I had to add more than an inch, though. I cut the flange and required length off of another pipe and welded it to the flange of the working pipe. There is more meat when welding to the flange.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bulabula09

Post by bulabula09 »

hey scheckaet...i have a 99 frame with my 2000 KDX 200 motor and had the same problem...i had a shop weld on a 1 inch section to the end of the flange where it fits into the head and it worked out pretty well, although I did have to dent the pipe to clear the radiator..keep in mind though i dont have a PC platinum 2 mine is just a PC Platinum (i dont think there is a huge difference between the two though)...as for the FMF silencer...It will have to be modified...i got an FMF powercore 2 to fit up to my PC platinum..i fit the two pieces together and the silencer needs to be bent up about 5 or 6 inches to be able to bolt onto the sub frame...other than that everything fits very well :supz:
RACING - "Because team sports are for homos"

'99/'00 KX 200 - head turner
'05 DRZ 400 SM - knee dragger
'06 CRF450R - SOLD
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Losing on top shouldn't be too bad, as long as it's not TOO much, gain on bottom will be bonus :mrgreen:

I was thinking the same about cutting another pipe to weld ON the flange, more meat would make it easier to weld. (plus if it doesn't work or don't like it I could "retrofit" the pipe to a regular KDX)

Would a stock pipe work? I don't know if they are made of the same material, I assume so but you know the old sayin: ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME lol

Both my FMF and procircuit seem to fit fine under the radiator, so no dent required.
The procircuit seems to fit better out of the box than my FMF (i.e: tabs lining up better) but it could be also because my fmf was "slightly" tweaked from a "sympathy" crash I took awhile back :wink:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I fitted the tank last night and the clearance everywhere appears to be good BUT the petcock is very close to the carb, might actually touch when the tube is on, and I'm worried about vibrations, might make contact then...:roll:
Is there a another type of petcock I could use?
Also the stock petcock doesn't have a reserve, so I'd like to find another one, my stock one won't work, it's far too long and will not fit there at all.
Seems like I needs a "shorter" one or one with a bend.
I'm trying NOT TO dent the tank anymore.
I'll show pic later tonight, it'll make more sense.
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I fitted the tank last night and the clearance everywhere appears to be good BUT the petcock is very close to the carb, might actually touch when the tube is on, and I'm worried about vibrations, might make contact then...:roll:
Is there a another type of petcock I could use?
Also the stock petcock doesn't have a reserve, so I'd like to find another one, my stock one won't work, it's far too long and will not fit there at all.
Seems like I needs a "shorter" one or one with a bend.
I'm trying NOT TO dent the tank anymore.
I'll show pic later tonight, it'll make more sense.
You can pick up a new short petcock for a kdx tank for $40. You just need to drill a hole in the kx tank for the reserve pickup.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

good to know. I'll give it a shot.
thanks
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

how did this come out? I am wanting to do one of these and live in Mustang. I would love to see your work someday. Are you doing the stillwater enduro in June?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I'm still working on it.
I'm hoping to have everything but the cylinder (should be back from powerseal next week.) on the bike this week end and the bike running next week.
I've never been in any race before, could be fun, but I've been without a ride for the past 4-5 months and I'm wayyyy tooo out of shape to enter any event and have fun . Maybe next year.

Where are you located? we ride drapper 90 % of the time , and go to stillwater and crossbar ranch a few times a year, maybe you can join us sometimes.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I'm still working on it.
I'm hoping to have everything but the cylinder (should be back from powerseal next week.) on the bike this week end and the bike running next week.
I've never been in any race before, could be fun, but I've been without a ride for the past 4-5 months and I'm wayyyy tooo out of shape to enter any event and have fun . Maybe next year.

Where are you located? we ride drapper 90 % of the time , and go to stillwater and crossbar ranch a few times a year, maybe you can join us sometimes.

I am in Mustang. I ride Draper, Stillwater and Gruber as well as Muenster, TX. I have not ridden Davis but it is on the list. I bought my KDX200 in Dec after a 20 yr break from dirt bikes and am loving it. Would love to ride with some fellow KDXers. Planning a hybrid in the near future too.