Tossing my hat in the hybrid ring

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
sean-svm

Tossing my hat in the hybrid ring

Post by sean-svm »

Here is my hybrid that I just finished. It is a 2005 KX 125 chassis and a 2003 220 motor. Even though it took me all winter to finally finish I'm happy with the results. I rode it for a few hours this morning and think this will be a much better race bike than the KDX was. Here's some pics of the build

Here's what I started with,
Imagel]

The frame with the new motor mounts, pipe hangers, and frame guards welded in place

I decided not to relocate the rear engine stay b/c I didn't want to run into issues with the gas tank fitting. So a customer of mine took a few measurements and made these brackets for me. Pretty cool huh?

One part of the build I didn't have a problem with was with the tank fitting. There must be some something different with the 2005 chassis I used and the 2003's that have been used before but I didn't have to make any modifications to the fuel tank and as a bonus the IMS big tank fit without needing modifications either

Here's a shot of the Moose sub-tank bars is used. I don't know anyone using them so I decided to be the guinea pig. The forks are 2006 KX 250F that I re-sprung, changed the ICS spring, installed Gold Valves and set the shims up as a dual stack better for off road racing. The shock was also re-valved using Race Tech parts. As a side note, I do have the KX 125 forks, triple clamps (with the stem removed) and front wheel that I would like to sell. If anyone is interested in them let me know.

I didn't want to put the CDI in the air box so I took the wiring harness apart, removed the wires used for the lights and extended the other wires so I could mount the CDI on the steering stem.

Something else that was a non issue with this build was that I was able to use a FMF Gnarly woods pipe and it fit perfectly, no bending or denting required.

A little protection for the Braking Wave rotor, a beefy ZipTy shark fin

Almost there...

And we're done. A few other parts of the build: Powder coated frame (I can't remember the exact color), Excel wheels and spokes, 18" for the rear, Dunlop 756's, a re-plated cylinder and new top end, FMF Gnarly pipe and Q Stealth silencer, Cycra Pro-Bend handguards, IMS 3 gallon gas tank, IMS pegs, UFO plastics, various new bearings and seals. The pipe guard and skid plate still need to be fitted as well as making up some KTM style radiator hoops but it was rideable this morning. It took me all winter to finish and it was worth it. Definitely a lot lighter steers SOOOO much better and the suspension kills the KDX. Can't wait to race it in too weeks.

Last edited by sean-svm on 08:33 pm Apr 23 2009, edited 1 time in total.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Oh mama!

That looks very nice.

How does it compare with the KDX?

Did your KDX have the fork conversion?

Wanna trade? :wink:
'
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

Its alot lighter than the KDX, steers much quicker and feels like it has a smaller turning radius. The lower weight of the bike makes stopping a lot easier and it get going a lot quicker. I only have a few hours on the bike but the suspension is much plusher and tracks very well through the rough rocks and roots I was riding this morning. I was about to install the KXF forks onto my old bike until the KX chassis fell into my lap and I decided try to build one of these
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is done right! :supz:

I always said it would have to be the 18" rear wheel if I had one... and I like how the seat is not flat as a board across.

That is awesome!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

The seat is actually cut. The bike used to belong to a girl that races mx, she's 5'4", 5'6" maybe. My brother cut the seat down for her when she owned it. I have foam and cover to do a tall seat but when I first sat on it I was barely on the balls of my feet and I'm 6' tall. No tall seat needed here
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Besides the pipe any other mods to the KDX engine?

What type of terrain do you ride?

Think it would do OK at the track?

It sure looks like a KTM killer to me.

I wish I possesed the skills to make one myself.
'
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

The only other mods have been a set of Boyesen reeds. I ride woods and race harescrambles in New England so the terrain varies from tight single track to rocks and roots and maybe a little mx mixed in. As far as the build goes, you don't have to have the skills to do all the work yourself you just need to get to know the people that can help you with what you don't know. Being in the M/C industry I've had the opportunity to get to know people that helped me along the way and its paid off in spades.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:supz: :supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Sex on wheels! Very nicely done. :prayer: Where in New England do you ride? I'd love to see that bike up close.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

I think you did'nt have any issues with the tank because its a oversize tank,so they would need to make clearance for the housing on the head.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

>|<>QBB<
VirtualVarmint wrote:Sex on wheels! Very nicely done. :prayer: Where in New England do you ride? I'd love to see that bike up close.
I mainly ride at Cough SP in New Hampshire and for racing I run the NETRA Hare Scramble series. I'll be down at the short course in Freetown Ma this weekend and at the NETRA race in Eastford CT the 10th.
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

>|<>QBB<
canuckhybrid125 wrote:I think you did'nt have any issues with the tank because its a oversize tank,so they would need to make clearance for the housing on the head.
I test fit the stock tank as well and I didn't have any issues with clearance with it as well. All the 2003 bikes that I've seen have had to have to heat and mold the tank to clear the elbow for the radiator hose on top of the head. Mine needed no modifications.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Awsome job. Besst trail bike ever made. Enjoy it1 :partyman:
THill

Post by THill »

Very sharp looking bike, good job !! :supz:
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
2FAST

Post by 2FAST »

That is really sharp!!! outstanding job man.....
2005 KDX 200
2005 Raptor 350
2007 Grizzly 400
2005 Bruin350
1995 Bayou 300
1995 Magnum 425
1986 XR 250
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

That looks really nice.

In case you haven't already spent enough money...did you know that the top two bolts where the shrouds mount to the tank are exactly the same as the shrouds on the KX450F (not 250F) and all you need to do is make some small brackets for the lower two holes. I put 450 shrouds on my bike and it really changed to look.
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Very, very nice job!

Any mods required to use the KX airbox?
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

No the airbox fit right up. I'm a little concerned though, I found some dirt and junk in the venturi of the carb. I think I need to have a ring made to fill up a little space KX carb is quite a bit larger than the KDX.
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Didn't know the carbs are different sizes.....That definitely needs to be addressed. Let us know what you come up with.

I currently have a KTM 200 XC and a KDX 220. Love the light weight of the KTM but I much prefer the more user friendly KDX motor. I've been thinking a lightweight KX hybrid would be the best of both worlds.
kvance6254

Post by kvance6254 »

That rocks man!! :lol: