cdx question

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ethanfoster

cdx question

Post by ethanfoster »

does anybody know if you have to melt the tanks when you use a cr125 chassy with a kdx200 motor?, also, what is the swingarm bolt size?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

So the front end doesn't hit the tank...

Got me...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think he means for the motor....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

yeah the motor swing arm, also do the middle mounts bolt up, im pretty sure they do, im just not sure. the only reason for a cr hybrid is because the bolts might line up.
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

ya and as for the gas tank, i ment the motor hitting the top of the tank so you might melt it so that doesn't happen.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't think I would count on anything lining up....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

what ever, i saw a guy with a 93 kdx200 put that in cr and all he did was drill his cases, cut his swing arm and and weld new motor mounts for the front of the motor.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... If you call that lining up... whatever... :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Check out my thread on my build. I used a 94 motor in a 2002 frame. No tank melting/molding required. Swingarm bolt and bottom motor mount line up great. Just need to ream or drill the case to match. A new set of front mounts is needed, but that is simple and inexpensive if you just use the motor to line them up.

As for the swingarm, use a 2003 model swingarm and all you need is to file a little off the inside of each side of the swing arm, and get the swingarm bushings cut off and faced to size. Also, exhaust pipe may take a little work.

Basically though, if you have some mechanical aptitude, can run a file and a set of calipers, and either know someone who has a welder and a lathe or a place that will do it without charging full shop hours (takes about 20 minutes with setup and cleanup) I'd go for it again.

My only complaint is the CR seat is a rock solid PITA so trail riding is requiring a little more endurance than the couch on my KDX.
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

I cant find the thrad, how bout a link?
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

how does the pipe fit?
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

the bike looks pretty sweet though, and can a standard hacksaw set up in a woodshop cut the motor mounts?
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

I cut the motor mounts out of the bike with a hack saw, just becareful not to hit the frame. I then used a file to clean them up.

To make new mounts I used a bandsaw at work (though a hack saw will do), and drilled a 10mm hole. Drilled the hole first, and then marked a ruff shape, cut it out, and finished shaping on a belt sander. Takes a while, but if you take your time they turn out well. Also, bevel the bottom side of the mount so that the welder has and easy time and gets a good bead. And leave some of the original mount material to weld to, its much thicker than the frame tubing.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

The pipe is a PITA as I have an older style kdx pipe. I have a stock pipe from a 95 that I need to fit when I have time, but too much work/projects/family/etc to get to that yet. The 94 style pipe goes up real high and needs to be cut and refit to clear the radiators on the CR. I imagine the newer pipes will clear them just fine and I've seen some Pro Circuit pipes used on KX/KDX hybrids that fit great.
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

o i've got an fmf pipe on a 95
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Give it a try, should be a lot closer than my 94 FMF. Way too high so I had to cut and weld. Still good power, though I'm sure I lost some efficiency in the process. Thats why I got a 95 pipe, if it works then I am going to invest in an FMF or PC pipe to upgrade my bikes power.

Also, if you do trail riding, get a gripper seat cover, I used one from a 2003 kx125 as I wanted a green cover. If you can get softer foam, I'd do that too as the rock hurts after a while.

Lastly, go 2002 or newer frame as that gives the most plastic options, seat, fork, etc. And you get the newest style frame with improvements. I think very littlle changed between 2004 model and 2007. Anyways, if you have a roller it is a lot cheaper than buying it part by part unless there is something specific you want (such as the showa dual chambers I wanted off of a cr250 :)).
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

al right let me know how the pipe goes
ethanfoster

Post by ethanfoster »

also, have the bolt patterns or engine dimensions changed from 94 to 95?