Crazy Reverse Hybrid Question

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Crazy Reverse Hybrid Question

Post by jc7622 »

Like I said, this is a crazy question. Does anyone have any opinion (or experience would be even better) on whether a four stroke motor would fit in a KDX frame? I already did the KDX/KX hybrid, but would also like to have a dual sport bike. The only dual sport bikes that are good off-road (that I know of) are really expensive.

It would be really cool to have a KDX with a four stroke motor in it for short trips, exploring back roads, taking to Moab, etc. I wonder how hard this would be? Is the KLX250S basically the same as a KDX or are they really different?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I personally would like something like an XR250 motor in an MX frame.

I don't see why you couldn't put a 4 stroke motor in the KDX frame. That is all the KLX is, I believe. There wouldn't be a whole lot to gain by putting the KLX motor in the KDX frame.

The advantage to something like the XR/KLX motor is that it comes ready to power some lights and will run forever. That motor in a good chassis would be fine.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
dirtbikelogan

Post by dirtbikelogan »

You know, the KLX 300 is the SAME frame as the KDX but just with a 300 four stroke motor. I would just get the KLX 300. :grin:
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

You know, a guy just moved in next door to me that has a KLX300. I was looking at it wondering how many parts were probably actually the same (or pretty danged close). Do you think the KLX300 motor would be fine cruising down the highway for an hour or two at 65?

Have you ridden the KLX250S? I wonder how one of those things would do? What I'm wanting it for would be to go cruising the back roads, exploring, etc. I would also like to haul it out to some place like Moab and do some riding out there. I want something that can handle cruising down the road for an hour or so without stopping and then be able to do some mild off-roading without being too much of a pig.

I've though about the DRZ400, XR650L, KLX250S...
dirtbikelogan

Post by dirtbikelogan »

Hmmmmm.......At that rate, i'd be more inclined to go for something with a little bigger engine, and no I haven't ridden the KLX250S. Personally, I would go with a KTM 450 EXC or a 525 EXC. The EXC model comes already road legal and those bikes can take a total beating......they are awesome for the types of things you are talking about! :supz: