Secong Ride Report

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Secong Ride Report

Post by jc7622 »

I got my motor back together and got a chance to ride the hybrid in decent conditions (not in 18" of water after a hurricane).

First off, the motor runs really good. All I have is a PC pipe, V-Force reeds and the RB head. I am probably going to be happy with that setup for a while. There is all the power on tap that I can use right now. Even the slightest twist of the throttle puts power to the ground. Very nice. It will grunt right up anything anf then when the trail opens up it will haul @$$ with the front wheel lifting off the ground way up into the upper gears. I think the head makes a big difference. Just out of curiosity, what could I expect if I also did the carb mod?

Now to the hybrid part. This thing turns and corners really nice. I turns better than the KDX pretty much everywhere. My biggest concern before the build was that I would be disappointed in its slow speed ultra tight trail ability. It doesn't give anything up to the KDX there at all. It may even be better because I have found that I can lean it WAY over in a sharp turn and whip it around anything. The KDX didn't like to lean like that.

On faster terrain or more open higher speed trails it corners much better. I am still not fully comfortable with using all of its turning potential. I'm still kind of riding it like a KDX. It is only occasionally by accident that I experience just how nimble it can carve through turns. Ususlly I get a feel for how well it handles by flying into a turn way to fast and then the bike pulls it off and I fly around the turn leaned over spraying roost into the air. I think to myself, "Holy cow, did I just do that?". If I was a skilled enough rider I could do every turn like that and really go fast. That will take a lot of practice before I can do that intentionally. The KDX wouldn't do that. Usually I would crash or blow out the turn and go into the trees in those situations. The hybrid just likes to be layed over and carve through the turn. It is easier to toss it from side to side under you. I don't think the KDX is a slouch. I still think they are great bikes. If you ride really aggressively and fast then I think the hybrid is more suited to that. If you ride slower or like to take turns tackling impossible obstacles or ride mostly in horrendous technical first gear stuff etc, etc then you might just as happy with the KDX (but not any less happy with the hybrid).

It is also a little stable at high speeds. I wouldn't say that the KDX feels unstable (some people might) but the hybrid is a little less stressful tapped out in 6th gear.

I still need to sort out a few bugs (handle bar position, suspension, seat height, etc) that I think will improve it even more.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

It may even be better because I have found that I can lean it WAY over in a sharp turn and whip it around anything. The KDX didn't like to lean like that.
Definitly. You'll have to learn to twist the body intpo the turn, outter elbow up, leann it over and lean with it like a street bike and roll the gas on and rail corners. It is more work though but there reward.
I wouldn't say that the KDX feels unstable (some people might) but the hybrid is a little less stressful tapped out in 6th gear.
I would. Get into a sany wash wide open and the KDX front gets unsettles right away and has trouble tracking. You can rocket down sandy washes with the KX chasis and it never bobbles. Super stable. Actually my 02 was better at that but the 03 turns alot better.

Glad it worked out, it is a GREAT trail bike. Bullet proof and handles liek a dream. How about the suspension? Nice taking big shots and not feeling them huh?

The carb mod with the divider and borred out with the CEK needle will give it an MX style hit, The front comes up real easy which is great for placing the frot wheen where you want when you want with a twist. I would call it a must have with a hybrid to get the most out of the chasis. You WILL notice it.

Congrats now go win!

:supz:
THill

Post by THill »

JC something i noticed on mine is how low the weight in the frame is compaired to the KDX. Even just moving the bikes around in the garage you can tell the difference in where the weight is, or lack of it...

On the carb and head mods with a PC 2 my 220 hit more like a mx bike after i had them done. I had my rear wheel try and pass the front more than once while coming out of some hard packed turns and i wasn't watching what i was doing. I went back to my stock pipe for now and that
made the power come on awhole lot easier and smoother.....
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
art5

Post by art5 »

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a bike that has tons of low end grunt and a four stroke like traction control in your right hand, this is why I prefer the kdx carb on the 220more over rev and still excellent wheelspin control, power spinning the tire is a waste of time, if you arn't movin forward you arnt moving,