CR125/250 frames for hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

CR125/250 frames for hybrid

Post by marrk_us »

Ok, after finishing my first hybrid with an early 90's kx frame, i was impressed. Now after seeing SVandal's cr hybrid i'm jealous. My next one will be with a cr frame. I'll be using a 92 kdx engine, rear head mount, as the 96 kdx motor i have is already tagged for an 04 kx125 frame. My question is are the newer cr125 and 250 frames both suitable for the project or is one preferable over the other for some reason. I'm currently watching an 04 cr125 frame on ebay and would appreciate any input/advice before chasing it.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

No reason to be jealous, I went with the CR because of the rear frame to head mount. I couldn't find a 2003 or newer kx frame to fit it. :grin: And I got the cr frame for 40.00 shipped.

2002-2004 is the general parts match for the cr125. I am not sure about the cr250. The cr125 is about the perfect fit for the KDX engine. I was amazed at how close things lined up. I believe that the cr250 frame is a bit bigger. I would get the cr250 suspension (I did get 250 forks and a stock cr125 rear shock because I also got it for 15+shipping so I wasn't going to complain).

The 2003 swingarm was better than the 2001 cr swingarm because I only had to work on it with a file for about 20 min to get it to fit rather than mill it. I did have to turn off about .25" of each suspension bushing on a lathe. This is also a great thing about the cr swingarm, the bushings carry all the load so you do not have to be exact with the swingarm like on the kx.

For tanks, I believe the 2002-2007 tanks will all work for the 2004. I checked using an IMS tank as a reference. For seats I believe a 2000-2007 will work, I used an SDG for reference. Also, comparable year KX125 seat covers will fit the cr seat fairly well.

If you need parts, I have a subframe and triples that I will let go of cheap. You will only need the upper bearing, and the two retaining nuts to make them work. The triples are off of a 2002 Cr125, but will fit up to a 2006 at least.

Overall I believe the cr125 frame is pretty good. You only need to get new forward mounts welded on, and then bend and drill some new top mounts (takes a vice, a 3 lb sledge, a sander, and a drill press). For pipes, 95 and newer would be easier to use as they go in lower than the older kdx pipes. Lastly, radiators will be tough to find cheap, expect 40-60 a side for decent, slightly bent condition. But, 2002-2004 cr15 and cr250 should both fit it. I only had to bend the bottom cross over tube a little to make it work because I got the cr250 radiators. The 125 ones should work fine, just use the cr250 hose setup as it only has one return from the head to the radiator.

Other than that, I would recommend finding a rolling chassis if you can or a runner for under 1000. If you can get into a roller for 600 or less then you should come out ahead. Mine cost more than a roller by quite a bit because of the radiators, plastics, tires, chain, and wheels. If you want plastics other than red I would recommend either Chaparral Motorsports or Motosports.com Both had the best prices I found and if you spend over 100 or 150 you get free shipping. And it is easy to spend over 150 :grin:.

Let me know if you need any parts and good luck!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I have an 05 CR125 frame if you are looking for on.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

I've got my 03 frame I may be selling depending on how the registration appeals process goes (Cali and their red/green sticker nonsense). It is ready to bolt in an engine and will include some other parts as well.

Sorry to compete with you ebeck, but figured I could mention my frame that already has new mounts welded in :grin:.
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

(I have an 05 CR125 frame if you are looking for on. )

-Ebeck, sorry haven't checked this post for a while. Do you still have the frame? any pics? cost plus shipping to 80817, fountain colorado? Still deciding 04 newer kx frame or cr frame.........?

(Sorry to compete with you ebeck, but figured I could mention my frame that already has new mounts welded in .)

-SVandal, hopefully you get your problem solved. I hate dealing with the dmv nazi's. Almost had a deal on a rvf400 from england, no way, no how, could I get it titled they told me. If you exhaust all your options, let me know, but i'd work long and hard before giving up that baby. Good luck.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

yeah I got the frame. No problem about hte competition. Buddy of mine has reams of frames.

Got Honda swingarm airbox etc too. I'll get pics.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
marrk_us wrote:(I have an 05 CR125 frame if you are looking for on. )

-SVandal, hopefully you get your problem solved. I hate dealing with the dmv nazi's. Almost had a deal on a rvf400 from england, no way, no how, could I get it titled they told me. If you exhaust all your options, let me know, but i'd work long and hard before giving up that baby. Good luck.
I won't be giving up on it, just going to a 2002 frame. I can get new mounts welded in like the 03 and the parts will all switch over. I just have a basket of extra parts and a frame that I can sell to pay for the 02 frame. Its a pain, but to get a green sticker with no issues from the CHP (the DMV here is on my side for the most part) who called it a race bike. My guess is the CHP officer can't tell from reading a title that a 94 era trail bike wouldn't be the best choice for an MX bike. And he was too pig-headed to listen to any explanation. Anyways, if you are interested in it, let me know, if you go with ebecks I'm not worried.

Actually on a side note ebeck, does your friend have a 2002 cr125 frame laying around? If so, do you know what he wants for it? The ones on ebay seem to generally run from 100-250.00 which is more than I can pay right now for a frame as I have until May to ride before the red sticker season starts.

Good luck on the hybrid marrk! It is a definite step up in handling.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

It is off an 05.

199 for for the frame and 100 for the swingarm.

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Do I need to put in a bid now? :grin:
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

(I won't be giving up on it, just going to a 2002 frame. )

SVandal, If that's case just let me know what you want for your 'old' frame. My original thoughts were to pick up a roller during the 'cheap' winter months, which i'll still do for the rest of the parts. Having a prewelded frame will make things sooo much quicker. If I remember right your frame is set up for the 89-94 kdx engine?? I have one of each ready for projects so doesn't matter, i'm interested. No rush, many projects on my list, restoring a 87 mr2 at the moment. Let me know, thanks. Thanks to ebeck also.