Another Hybrid In The Works

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Another Hybrid In The Works

Post by jc7622 »

I fianlly have a hybrid project underway. This one is a 2003 KX125 with an '05 200 motor. Most of the KX parts I bought from ebeck. The remaining parts came from Ebay or the parts house. I alao bought a silencer from David Bates (arrived today - thanks).

Everything has been going pretty smoothly. The bike is at the welder now to have the mounts welded in place. I am supposed to meet him early tomorrow morning to give him guidance on what goes where. I have more pics in my gallery (hybrid gallery).

The first pic below shows all the parts from ebeck. Here I am washing them. I don't like working with dirty parts.

The first step was to cut off the old KX mounts. I cut them off with a air cutter. Bought it Harbor Freight for $10. Worked great.

Next I ground off the old welds and then sanded the frame rails smooth. For this I used a 4" grinder and sandpaper. This pic shows the frame ready to grind.

The next job was to modify the swingarm. The long bushing in the swingarm has to be shortened and the swingarm has to be shortened (narrowed) the same amount. I shortened mine 9mm. These pics show the swingarm marked, in the process of cutting and the the finished product. I cut them a little long and then went to the finished length with a grinder. I made them really smooth with a belt sander and then a light hand sanding. As I was cutting I would continually stop and check with a digital caliper to make sure I was still on track and not veering off course.

After that I had to enlarge the hold in the rear of the cases from 15mm to 17mm. This turned out to be the hardest part of the job so far. I thought it would drill easily...NOT. This stuff ruined three bits. After that was done I was able to bolt everything together and start working on the mounts. The bottom mounts came from the KX, they just had to be shortened a little. The front mounts came off the KDX. It was almost an exact fit. I them hooked the pipe up and test fit it with the rads and airbok on. I then made some hangers for the pipe. Actually I stole them off the KDX frame also (along with the motor guard loops). The following pics shows everything bolted in place and ready for the welder.

More pics to come.
Last edited by jc7622 on 09:13 am Sep 04 2008, edited 2 times in total.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

man looks sweet!
Been thinking about going the hybrid route myself but a bit short on cash and...can't weld worth a damn (well I don't have a welder either otherwise I'd give it a shot)
If you don't mind me asking, how much will the welding job cost?
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I will know later this morning how much he charges me. It's a guy I use a lot for welding so I didn't even ask him how much. I don't think it will be too much. It's only 6 small welds.

Finding the donor bike is the key. The ideal way to do it is to find a KX125 without a motor so that you have everything you need. If you try to do it piece by piece it could take a long time. It took me a while to locate a few missing parts.

I'll let you ride it sometime.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Just got back from the welder. He just charged me $20 to weld on four motor mounts, two pipe hangers and the two motor guard loops. I guess he was cutting me some slack since I give him some big jobs (gates, gate openers, etc). Now I just need to take it apart and paint the frame.

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Its looking good! Is that the stock KDX pipe you are using? If so, the fit is pretty amazing, I am startig to wonder how a newer style stock pipe would have fit my cr frame rather than the older style. Also, I really like the frame loops :supz: . Keep us updated.

scheckaet, most welders won't charge too much if you have the mounts already made and a way to hold them in place (i.e. having the motor in place). Also, from my experience, tig welding will cost more than mig. I lucked out because a guy from work was willing to weld my motor mounts on.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:Its looking good! Is that the stock KDX pipe you are using? If so, the fit is pretty amazing

It's a Pro-Circuit Platinum II for a KDX. Everyone told me that the PC pipe would fit perfect and it did.
THill

Post by THill »

JC, it's looking good...
Man i'd think about powder coating instead of painting then maybe some epoxy clearcoating....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I've already painted it. I may powdercoat it some time down the road if the paint doesn't hold up. Actually I am now almost done with the final assembly. It took a little longer than I thought assembling a strange bike from parts (with many missing). After a lot of measuring, tweaking, fabricating and trips to the hardware store it is almost done. I have a cross country race this weekend at what is supposed to be the hardest, most technical course in the series. I should have a good ride report next week.

Stripping the frame.

Putting it together

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks Awesome! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:supz:

What was that you used to strip the frame?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Spray on paint stripper. I tried a few brands. Jasco worked the best, but it was still so-so. I then used a round wire brush wheel that goes on a drill followed up by a lot of hand sanding. If I had more time I probably would have sand blasted it.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

When I stripped my kdx frame, I found the chemical stripper was good at loosening up the paint on the welds prior to sandblasting.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I took it around the neighborhood and on some empty lots this evening. I didn't get to open it up since I was in twn, but I can tell it is lighter and it seems to turn effortlessly. I found myself leaning it way over just putting in and out of the trees. I think it is going to handle very well.

I also tried to weigh it. With the front tire on the bathroom scale it read 105#. The rear end weighed 110#. Am I correct in assuming that this means it weighs 215# total? This was gassed up and ready to ride. What do some other fully gassed bikes typically weigh? I'll post some finished pics by the end of the week.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:. . . With the front tire on the bathroom scale it read 105#. The rear end weighed 110#. Am I correct in assuming that this means it weighs 215# total?
As long as the bike was relatively level while weighing you're technique is probably just fine.

And that's light - which is groovy!!

That's really nice work, looking forward to hearing how it does on your races.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:I took it around the neighborhood and on some empty lots this evening. I didn't get to open it up since I was in twn, but I can tell it is lighter and it seems to turn effortlessly. I found myself leaning it way over just putting in and out of the trees. I think it is going to handle very well.

I also tried to weigh it. With the front tire on the bathroom scale it read 105#. The rear end weighed 110#. Am I correct in assuming that this means it weighs 215# total? This was gassed up and ready to ride. What do some other fully gassed bikes typically weigh? I'll post some finished pics by the end of the week.
Sounds like a good build, not to mention it looks pretty good as well. As for the weight, add your weight along with year kx, size of frame, and year kdx motor to the list. It is to build up a comparison of stock vs hybrid weights.
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6414
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Here it is about 99% done. I have on order a chain guide, skid plate, rear tire, graphics, numbers, rear wave rotor and a few other little pieces. I'm starting to dig it.

Dirt Kid, are you still on here? Wan to to ride it again? You need to talk your dad into getting you one of these. :grin:

Skeck, let me know if you decide to build one. I'll show you exactly what I did.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All I need is a roller! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|QBB<[/url]
jc7622 wrote:Here it is about 99% done. I have on order a chain guide, skid plate, rear tire, graphics, numbers, rear wave rotor and a few other little pieces. I'm starting to dig it.

Dirt Kid, are you still on here? Wan to to ride it again? You need to talk your dad into getting you one of these. :grin:

Skeck, let me know if you decide to build one. I'll show you exactly what I did.

Looks great man, I'm waiting for your riding report and the opportunity to really try one before I jump the fence. I hope we can get together sometimes so I can try the BEAST.
How much did it cost you to do the whole project?
Wilf
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:All I need is a roller! :grin:
Same here!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »