Weight of Stock KDX?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
SVandal

Weight of Stock KDX?

Post by SVandal »

I just weighed my Hondasaki which is a combination of a 2003 CR125 chassis with 2000 CR250 forks and a 1994 KDX200 motor; and with 1 gallon of gas and oil, antifreeze, and aluminum bark busters it weighed in at 223lbs. I was wondering if anyone had the weight of the kdx in stock form. I would like to see what the difference is in weight if possible between the various years of KDX and the different hybrids to see what the net gain or loss is.

I think that this information could be useful for people who are trying to decide if a hybrid, and which hybrid at that, is right for them.

So, I will need to reweigh at some point, but for now I have dry weight that is approximately 205 lbs without fluids or bark busters for the 2003 cr125 hybrid.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Mine starts out at about 230 lbs., then by the end of the day it's about 400.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Mine starts out at about 230 lbs., then by the end of the day it's about 400.
Is that dry or ride ready? Either way, I know the feeling where the first few bumps are nothing, but by the end of the ride trying to loft the front wheel feels like it requires a few more people to help.
THill

Post by THill »

I'll try and get some weighs of my KDX and Hybrid in the next day or two.
That would be interesting to see what we come up with....
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
THill

Post by THill »

OK, heres what i come up with today...
This is the way i weighed them..Got my bathroom scales, layed a board across it then zeroed the weight then rolled the bikes on the board..

My 05 KDX 220, with about a half tank of fuel and all the other fluids, skidplate, barkbusters , PC pipe and FMF silencer hit the scales at 260.
I was kinda surprised at this weight, thought it might be alittle less..

My Hybrid with about a half tank of fuel, all the fluids, the 03 KX frame, PC pipe and silencer, skidplate, 230...

So i don't know if this is dead on accurate but it's telling me there is about 30 pounds between my 2 bikes...
In the future i'll do it again and drain all the gas out....
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
THill wrote:OK, heres what i come up with today...
This is the way i weighed them..Got my bathroom scales, layed a board across it then zeroed the weight then rolled the bikes on the board..

My 05 KDX 220, with about a half tank of fuel and all the other fluids, skidplate, barkbusters , PC pipe and FMF silencer hit the scales at 260.
I was kinda surprised at this weight, thought it might be alittle less..

My Hybrid with about a half tank of fuel, all the fluids, the 03 KX frame, PC pipe and silencer, skidplate, 230...

So i don't know if this is dead on accurate but it's telling me there is about 30 pounds between my 2 bikes...
In the future i'll do it again and drain all the gas out....
If it is like the CR, it is likely that about 8 lbs of the difference is a result of the KX's lower capacity fuel tank.

With mine I weighed the front end first, and then the back end. It is topped off, so I need to update my weight for it.
THill

Post by THill »

For the next time i think i'll try this way weighing them.
I got a atv jack/lift that i think i can set the scales on , slide it under the bike and jack it off the ground ...
Does that sound like a better way ??

SVandel if yours weighs in around 220 or less with all the fluids and say a half tank of fuel that would be great !!
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
THill wrote:For the next time i think i'll try this way weighing them.
I got a atv jack/lift that i think i can set the scales on , slide it under the bike and jack it off the ground ...
Does that sound like a better way ??

SVandel if yours weighs in around 220 or less with all the fluids and say a half tank of fuel that would be great !!
Ok, reweigh puts it at 229-231lbs with fuel tank almost topped off. I rode about 5-8 miles after topping it off yesterday so figure at most I am down about 1/3 gallon ~ 2-3lbs. So, in full dress with hand-guards I am looking at a 230 lb bike by the time I get to hills south of town. Wish I knew what my kdx had weighed so I could see what a 9 year jump in chassis caused.

The jack on the scale sounds like it would work fine, even one of the lift stands for a dirtbike would work. Just zero the scale with it on or weigh the jack on its own and subtract it from the gross weight to get the weight of the bike. Mine is just one wheel at a time so it probably isn't the best (and the scale is only a 30.00 digital bathroom scale) but it is close enough for this.

The only thing on the kdx chassis that I really miss is the half loops on the rear frame area that were great for picking up the bike. I end up lifting the cr on the main frame area.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Thill.....Re-weigh without the board...Just one scale under each tire...Would be curious....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
THill

Post by THill »

I'll give it another try this weekend , without the board and with the atv lift....I think the atv lift might be pretty close...
It just rolls under and jacks up what ever , bike or atv...It works great when changing out fork springs or any other front end work...
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Ahh, nevermind...I see you used one scale. Probably dang close. I saw scale(s) and invisioned a board spanning two scales...This would screw up the measurement vs one scale under each wheel.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Ahh, nevermind...I see you used one scale. Probably dang close. I saw scale(s) and invisioned a board spanning two scales...This would screw up the measurement vs one scale under each wheel.
Even two won't mess it up so long as he subtracts the weight of the board. The sum of the two scales is the bikes weight (equal and opposite forces and all that). It is also possible to get the bikes weight by putting one end of a beam on the scale and another on a stand so that it is level. Put the bike in the middle of the beam (centered) and then multiply the scales reading by 2 to get the weight of the bike. (sorry, 6 years of engineering so I couldn't pass that one up :grin:)
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I'm anxious to find out what a hybrid actually weighs. I'm hoping I gat a big reduction in weight for all of this work.
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

SVandal, hey stan, can you please PM and let me know if you sent the airbox.......thanks rick albert
JUST RIDE !!!
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Just my 2 cents if anyone has an OLD kx125, my 91 hybrid with 90 kdx engine weighs in right at 219 with 2.5 gal of fuel. I have a 94 kdx I keep at a friends up in the mountains, next time I go up i'll try to get it washed and weighed.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
marrk_us wrote:
Just my 2 cents if anyone has an OLD kx125, my 91 hybrid with 90 kdx engine weighs in right at 219 with 2.5 gal of fuel. I have a 94 kdx I keep at a friends up in the mountains, next time I go up i'll try to get it washed and weighed.
Makes me wonder where mine picked up the 10 extra pounds considering that they had 10+ more years to develop a lighter bike. Someone had said though that the steel frames were lighter than the new aluminum ones. Maybe my next bike for my wife will be an xr200 or x250 in an older kx frame :grin: instead of a CR.

BTW, nice garage. Someday I hope to have more than 2, but it will be a while.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Just put USD's on the XR...Won't cure some of the weight, but then again a lot of the weight is in the motor itself. That's where most of the R&D came in when it comes to the new 4-strokes...Making them as light as the 2T, and produce similar power without grenading...Still a work in progress...LOL. Bolting a newly designed 4V head to any of the old-style 4T's and getting the power output would've been a piece of cake...Heavy cake. :mrgreen:
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

(Makes me wonder where mine picked up the 10 extra pounds considering that they had 10+ more years to develop a lighter bike. Someone had said though that the steel frames were lighter than the new aluminum ones. Maybe my next bike for my wife will be an xr200 or x250 in an older kx frame instead of a CR. )

I'm sure the extra weight is because the frames have to handle the bigger jumps compared to the old days. I'm also sure it's well hidden weight and that the newer frames handle with MUCH more precision. My next hybrid will be a 2004 or newer kx125 frame for one of my ex's, just bought a new swingarm already modded on ebay for $75, and have a newer kdx engine under the bench waiting for a crank rebuild and a new frame to call home. She's about 5' 8" so we'll have to shorten things a little.

As for your xr idea, I have a 98 xr280 with the Aloop tank kit and 45mm Marzocchi's that have been shortened for a loaner bike. Lowered, you don't feel the weight so much, and when the woods get really tight the quick steering of the short wheelbase xr is hard to beat! In longer straight sections or bigger whoops it can be a handful (short wheelbase again), but for a beginner or faster females it's near perfect.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
marrk_us wrote:(Makes me wonder where mine picked up the 10 extra pounds considering that they had 10+ more years to develop a lighter bike. Someone had said though that the steel frames were lighter than the new aluminum ones. Maybe my next bike for my wife will be an xr200 or x250 in an older kx frame instead of a CR. )

I'm sure the extra weight is because the frames have to handle the bigger jumps compared to the old days. I'm also sure it's well hidden weight and that the newer frames handle with MUCH more precision. My next hybrid will be a 2004 or newer kx125 frame for one of my ex's, just bought a new swingarm already modded on ebay for $75, and have a newer kdx engine under the bench waiting for a crank rebuild and a new frame to call home. She's about 5' 8" so we'll have to shorten things a little.

As for your xr idea, I have a 98 xr280 with the Aloop tank kit and 45mm Marzocchi's that have been shortened for a loaner bike. Lowered, you don't feel the weight so much, and when the woods get really tight the quick steering of the short wheelbase xr is hard to beat! In longer straight sections or bigger whoops it can be a handful (short wheelbase again), but for a beginner or faster females it's near perfect.
The XR sounds pretty good, the only downfall is my wife is looking for more of an entry level tail bike that is shorter. Originally I was looking at an xr200 engine or crf230 engine (e-start) in a cr80 expert frame to get the best of both worlds, but we will see. She hasn't ridden a motorcycle since she was 6 years old, so anything will be a step up from her old 50cc bike :grin: .
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

(The XR sounds pretty good, the only downfall is my wife is looking for more of an entry level tail bike that is shorter. Originally I was looking at an xr200 engine or crf230 engine (e-start) in a cr80 expert frame to get the best of both worlds, but we will see. She hasn't ridden a motorcycle since she was 6 years old, so anything will be a step up from her old 50cc bike :grin:) .[/quote]

I picked this up a few years ago for $300. An 87 tt225, It has the same engine as the ttr225's and the "new" ttr230, minus the electric start and the extra 40 lbs. It has 21"/18" wheels but the frame is about 80% sized so a low seat height. Beginners like the electric start on new models but 40 extra pounds is silly. This thing starts 1st or second (very easy) kick for anyone i've ever put on it. If you can find one it's great for beginners. I've toyed with the idea of using this in a more modern frame but haven't had the time yet. I've seen the electric start motors in yz80 frames. An xr200 engine would be a great project engine also, easy starting and doesn't make gobs of power to scare a beginner.

I've toyed with the idea of a kdx200 in a kx100 frame just for grins, but seems there's never enough time now that i'm "supposedly" grown up!