Alternate Kickstarters

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
SVandal

Alternate Kickstarters

Post by SVandal »

I know about the kx hybrid kickstarter for the kdx, but as those tend to go for 30-50.00 on ebay, I was wondering if anyone has found a yz or cr kickstarter that works on the kdx. I would prefer something that just bolts on without having to keep the knuckle. Any ideas of what will work?

On a side note, I found my friends yz125 shifter fits my kdx just fine so I am going to get one to save some weight and to match the new aluminum frame. thanks for the help.
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

What year yz is it?
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

03 KX125 does.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Its a 94 kdx, and the 2001 yz125 and 250 shifter is a direct fit. My friend is using my stock kdx lever on his yz till his new one shows up. So I am ordering a yz shift lever to replace the chunky stock lever. Now to find a kicker that is a bolt on.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:03 KX125 does.
I'll keep my eye out for one, but the ones I have seen go for a pretty decent price. Too many kdx'ers know about the kx models that fit :grin:
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:03 KX125 does.
Just to make sure though, the 2003 kx125 will bolt right on to the kdx kickstarter shaft? I wouldn't have to switch the bosses or do anything like that?

Thanks for the help ebeck! BTW, are you doing any more hybrids or going to mx?
art5

Post by art5 »

No they won't bolt right up, you will need the lower knuckel from a kx 250 and if you are using a pc pipe it will hit it, I use the 250 knuckle and an 03 upper, the knuckel from the 03 and up don't fit the shaft,the older 97 to 02 do,
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

You could heat and bend and cut. Thats what I ended up doing to make my kickstarter fit my cr hybrid. I couldn't find a lever to fit the frame so I heated the stock one with an oxy-acetalyne torch and bent it to fit. I cut about .25 off the end to clear the pipe and added a bead around the end of the lever to help keep my foot on it when kicking.

For a KDX frame, just heat, bend, and cut off the excess. It won't be as light as the aluminum, but it will be lighter than stock. Just another idea.