2003 CR125 Hybrid Re-Finished!!

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:Very cool! :grin:
Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully it runs as well as it looks. Here is a pic of the top mounts that I made for it. The stock Honda ones are bent a well, for whatever reason old man Honda decided to make the top mount offset.
Anyways, found one more part that is needed. Need one more hose to finish the coolant system.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I got the hoses I needed at an auto parts store. I had a KDX one that was close, it just needed a bend HERE not THERE. They let me come behind the counter and go through all the pre-formed heater hoses until I could find one that had the shape I wanted.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

I tried that, but the regular hose won't turn sharp enough without kinking and the prebent was 14.00. I ordered a cr250 hose that will work just right for about 8.00 and I only need to cut a little off of the one end. It has an extra little bend that will also help with the hoses clearance around the other hose near it. Thanks for the suggestion.
THill

Post by THill »

Man she looks good !!! :supz:
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
mudsplasher
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by mudsplasher »

I'm at sea right now so I can't take any pictures, but my top motor mount didn't neeed too be bent. My frame is a '01 CR250. Must be the different model frame.

I also had to cut off the bottom mount and re-weld that to fit.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
mudsplasher wrote:I'm at sea right now so I can't take any pictures, but my top motor mount didn't neeed too be bent. My frame is a '01 CR250. Must be the different model frame.

I also had to cut off the bottom mount and re-weld that to fit.
I thought about cutting the bottom mount as well to get the head to line up better for the pipe, but this way allowed me to use the stock Honda pipe spring mounts.

Why Honda offset the top mount I will never know, it seems odd that they wouldn't move it to match the head, or the head to match the frame, but it wasn't too much of a pain to bend the new ones.

Looking at this though, it would be nice to develop a list of what frames work the best, or features of what works for different models.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
mudsplasher wrote:I'm at sea right now
Next time you will need to leave your bike with me so I can compare them :wink: and give one of those "shootout" style reports that the bike/car rags are always doing. Good luck on the boat, I've never been a fan of blue water boating so hopefully it is going well for you.
mudsplasher
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by mudsplasher »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:>|<>QBB<
Next time you will need to leave your bike with me so I can compare them :wink: and give one of those "shootout" style reports that the bike/car rags are always doing. Good luck on the boat, I've never been a fan of blue water boating so hopefully it is going well for you.
I'm not much of a boating fan either, but it's a good living. I will retire in 9 years, hopefully still healthy enough to enjoy it.

I still have a few things left to do on my Honsaki CR200. I have a coil coming, and I will have to mod a pipe yet. I will use the Turbinecore II off my '97, which I am putting a Q on. I also have to order a Fredette kicker.
I bought some star and stripes graphics from AMR Racing, so hopefully it will look ok.

Believe it or not, the KDX is taller than the CR.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
mudsplasher wrote:>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:>|<>QBB<
I'm not much of a boating fan either, but it's a good living. I will retire in 9 years, hopefully still healthy enough to enjoy it.

I still have a few things left to do on my Honsaki CR200. I have a coil coming, and I will have to mod a pipe yet. I will use the Turbinecore II off my '97, which I am putting a Q on. I also have to order a Fredette kicker.
I bought some star and stripes graphics from AMR Racing, so hopefully it will look ok.

Believe it or not, the KDX is taller than the CR.
9 years to retire isn't too bad, I am still 29 years away from retirement so 9 years (even on a boat) doesn't sound too bad.

For the Turbinecore I used the one from my KDX, I cut of the forward 6" of it and left the spark arrestor in. I figured it wouldn't be too bad as the previous owner had never repacked the silencer, and when I finally did, I was chipping packing material mixed with fossilized oil and sand off with a hammer. Then I cut the screen and tacked it back together.

Curious though, why the Fredette kicker? I took the stock one and bent it to shape and it fits fine, whereas I don't think the FRP kicker would have fit on mine.

As for seat height, I find that my cr is taller, I have to tiptoe more than I ever had to with my kdx. But that may have been due to the spring sag as my kdx was 14 years old.
mudsplasher
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by mudsplasher »

SVandal, could you post a close up picture of the area where the rear master cylinder is. I am to that point and have been looking all over and can't find pics showing that area.

I am having clearance issues with the master cylinder and the exhaust. I will end up lengthening the inlet to the silencer, which is a new Q.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|QBB<[/url]
mudsplasher wrote:SVandal, could you post a close up picture of the area where the rear master cylinder is. I am to that point and have been looking all over and can't find pics showing that area.

I am having clearance issues with the master cylinder and the exhaust. I will end up lengthening the inlet to the silencer, which is a new Q.
I had to move my pipe around a little as well. I have good clearance, but that required some welding and cutting.
Also, I ended up cutting down my turbine core silencer about 6" (while retaining the spark arrestor) to help with the fit.
mudsplasher
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by mudsplasher »

I have ppretty good clearance everywhere except where the stinger passes the m/c. Actualy it's the resevoir which is mounted at the end of a hose that is giving me problems.

I had to weld a 1 1/4" extension onto the front of the pipe and dent the expansion chamber to clear the radiator, and I will have to extend the stinger a little over an inch. I am using a Gnarly Rev pipe and a Q silencer.

When I take it back apart to lube and re-assemble, I'll take pics.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
mudsplasher wrote:I have pretty good clearance everywhere except where the stinger passes the m/c. Actually it's the reservoir which is mounted at the end of a hose that is giving me problems.

I had to weld a 1 1/4" extension onto the front of the pipe and dent the expansion chamber to clear the radiator, and I will have to extend the stinger a little over an inch. I am using a Gnarly Rev pipe and a Q silencer.

When I take it back apart to lube and re-assemble, I'll take pics.
You may consider a 2003 MC that has the reservoir built in to the MC. It should mount up as well as your current MC, though you may need the brake lever as well, assuming that the bolts that hold them on are interchangeable. Just an idea to consider if you haven't already modded the pipe. On mine I had to cut the pipe in half at the expansion chamber, cut off the stinger, weld the pipe back together, and then cut, bend and weld the stinger to fit. In the end it was a snug fit with just enough pipe to work with. I am considering what it will take to clean it all up and get it re-plated.

If you want, I can measure the MC holes to give an idea if it would work, though the mounting should be standard for Honda. I have a CBR900rr MC that would bolt on other than for the reservoir hose.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Awsome mann great work!
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:Awsome mann great work!
Thanks ebeck, coming from you that is high praise. Your KX/KDX hybrids are amazing.