2003 CR125 Hybrid Re-Finished!!

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
SVandal

2003 CR125 Hybrid Re-Finished!!

Post by SVandal »

New note, after 3 months it is now registered. I only had to get a new frame and mod it. But now I have a California 2002 CRX200 that is a green sticker. Anyways, doesn't look any different, but now it is good for year round riding. As a 2003 it was a race bike for closed course only. Gotta love the common sense DMV laws in this state. But her, its registered and ready to go!

Well, after almost 3 months and the original price of my kdx, I am finished! I used only the motor, electronics, pipe, muffler, and carb from my KDX. Everything else was almost a bolt on addition. The pipe and muffler took the most work to make them fit.

The test ride today was great, in the whoops and over smaller obstacles it handled great and the suspension is more than a step up in ride quality. I am running a 13-52 ratio on a 110/90-19 tire and on the flat it does well. I will have to wait to take it on a real ride, but in the mean time I am happy with it. :grin: :razz: :razz: :grin:

It's my green and black Hondasaki.
Last edited by SVandal on 03:07 am Nov 25 2008, edited 4 times in total.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 2003 CR125 Soon to start

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:I'll be pedaling to work for a while to pay this off, but at 4.50/gal that should only be a few weeks.

That's kind of a strange way to look at it, but now that I think about it...it's true. $4 gas makes you look at things differently.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:I'll be pedaling to work for a while to pay this off, but at 4.50/gal that should only be a few weeks.

That's kind of a strange way to look at it, but now that I think about it...it's true. $4 gas makes you look at things differently.
I bought my road bicycle a few years ago for commuting to school and work and "paid" off the initial purchase over a summer by riding the 12 miles everyday rather than driving. I haven't paid off the maintenance costs yet, but they would be there for a car or a bike so I figure now anything I save on gas is extra that can be used on my dirtbike or my streetbike (which will be used to also help save gas on windy days that I don't feel like pedaling).

"A penny saved is a penny earned"
Benjamin Franklin

Its only about 5 miles each way to work here, but the average high in July is well over 100 degrees so I am likely to suffer for buying the frame :grin:.

On the flip side, a friend of mine bought a 16,000.00 car to help save on gas money, however he didn't sell his other vehicle so now he has a long time to go before he saves 16,000 in gas money. Just something to think about.

"Dirtbikes, pedal 5 days to ride 1 day" is my new motto :grin:
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, here is what I have so far, frame, subframe, shock, and swingarm bolt. If I can pick up a swingarm and linkage I can get started. I also need a ream if anyone has a 17mm they are willing to sell :). Anyways, now I am debating whether to sell my kdx whole and try and pick up a motor and a pipe off ebay just for this project :). Either way, I get to spend the next 3 months collecting parts and getting ready. Does anyone have a way to post pictures on here?

Also, found the forks won't fit as there is no bearing that will fit the kdx stem and cr frame. Guess I need to start looking for forks.

Thanks
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

All you need to do is take both tripple clamps, if you have both, to a machine shop, and have them press out each steering stem, and press the stem you want to use, into the clamp you will be using. It may need to be knurled to make a nice tight fit, but that is no biggie for a M. shop. There is a Cir-clip at the bottom of the stem, so make sure they press the stem out, down out the bottom of the clamp!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Is there any big gain by using the cr forks over the KDX forks? I imagine that neither one is a cartridge fork. Is there any large gain with the cr forks?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, I would imagine a HUGE gain. The Showas on Honda are arguabely the best stock forks.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, triple clamps for the CR are on the way, still looking for a good set of forks. I guess the question that I have now is whether I should sell my kdx whole and just look for a new engine, carb, and pipe or if I should part out the chassis. It is in decent shape, the top end probably has a while to go as I don't have any power issues. The plastic is all there and it is a 94 with the USD forks.

Any thoughts about parting it out? Do you think it would be possible to get enough back out of it to make it worth it? Or does someone have a good line on a motor and carb that I could pick up and just sell my bike whole (I would really hate to tear it apart as it is in decent shape). Anyways, I am open to suggestions.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Well, i would say it depends on what you want to spend on the hybrid, and what you would ask for the kdx. If your real serious about the hybrid, and just keep picturing your kdx motor and gear in that CR frame, i would say go for that. Once you add all the $$$$ to find a motor, carb, pipe, etc. and don't forget, all of the wiring/electronics, plus all of the time, it seems like it would be alot easier, and more time efficient to combine the two. However, if you want to keep a bike to ride, and are willing to be patient, you can build the hybrid piece by piece! I'm pondering doing that myself.........an aluminum framed kdx/x 250! btw, the usd's on a 94 aren't worth much.........better than conventionals of that time, but not by much. There outdated, and should not be used on a hybrid! :wink:
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

No worries, I "accidentally" won a set off a 2006 cr125/250 tonight so now I need to find the forks to fill them with.

I would like to get my hybrid done in 3 months or less as the weather will be cooling back off and it will be time to ride again. In the meantime there are probably a few bikes that I could borrow as their owners don't ride them much if I decide to part or part with mine. Just trying to figure out the most cost efficient way. If I can sell my bike for 1100 (around here thats not too unbelievable) and pick up motor and gear for about 3-400 I figure that gives me enough to do my hybrid with the way I want to. Anyways, I am getting excited to get the all of the parts and get this thing together, though I will be sad to see the kdx go (I plan on black plastics and green graphics if I can). Anyways, off to figure out what to do.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Sounds cool. Good ole E-bay!
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

For the showas, does anyone know of a listing of what years have the showa verses the Kayaba? It seems to be pretty hit and miss.
Thanks,

Never mind, picked up a set of showa's from a 2000 cr250. From the looks of things I will probably be out 6-700 for cr parts. The hard ones to find will be the radiators I think.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, found a good thing with the 2003, the swingarm is only off by about 5-20 thousandths of an inch. Didn't measure, but while trying to fit it right out of the box it almost went on. The sleeves for the bearings still need to be cut down, but a large part of my time just got saved. Now to find a lathe :) that I can use.

Overall, just need to drill out the motor mount, and then start bolting and fitting it together (after the front mounts get welded on).

Other question, does anyone know if a cr125 silencer will work on the 200 motor? The kdx silencer is too big for the 125 which is why I ask. If not, I will have to try and find a 250 silencer.
Thanks,
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, for an update. Finally got time and material to make the forward mounts. I drilled the rear engine mount out and got the swingarm filed down. I am taking the frame in tomorrow to get the mounts welded on. Then I will take the bushings in next week to get them machined. The top mounts will be a little tricky, but I will bend them and then match drill them and do some post drill shaping.

The tank fits nice and it looks like the petcock handle will need trimmed a little to fit the radiator hose off the top of the head. Overall I would recommend a 2003 as it really hasn't been too bad so far. Also it looks like it may be an easy fit for the early 90 KDX models. Now I just need a rear tire and some plastics and I will be ready to bolt it all together when I am done. :grin: :grin:
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, here is where it is at so far. I have a rear wheel on the way, I need to tear off the swingarm and grease all of the bearings in the linkage before bolting it up tight. I am almost done with the exhaust pipe mods, a little more work on the silencer and a few more welds to plug the leaks :grin:. Then it is just plastics for the front half and consumables like tires, chain, filter, etc. Anyways, here is a picture in its midway stage. Oh, also need some spacers for the bottom mount, but they shouldn't be hard to fab up.
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Keep us posted with plenty of pics!!!!! Looks great so far :supz:
THill

Post by THill »

Man she's looking good !!!
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, only a small update, this thing is expensive :grin: ! Finally ordered the last of the plastic and a set of fork seals and bushings. I have a few more OEM parts on the way and then it is time to start bolting it up and finishing up the exhaust pipe.

If anyone is interested in doing a CRX let me know and I can give you some things to watch out for and what I found doing this one. Heres to hoping that September sees me back out riding.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, here is the latest picture, I have everything but the wiring and the muffler ready to go. So it looks like I will be done and ready to ride by the end of August.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Very cool! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "