'99 CR250 hybrid?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

'99 CR250 hybrid?

Post by KarlP »

I picked up a CR rolling chassis. Everything appears to be there and in decent shape.

I have a "spare" KDX motor that needs a crank rebuild.

Things look like they'll fit, sort of :roll:

What do y'all think? Was that a good handling frame?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Give 'er a go!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That would make a nice hybrid. I've thought about building a 250-sized one. My '93 doesn't fit me, doesn't really get ridden, and I couldn't get much for it so I'd steal it's motor. Now I just gotta find a KX250 rolling chassis.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

'99 Cr250's were the third and final year of honda's first-generation aluminum frame. It was criticized for being too stiff feeling. I can only assume it would feel great to a kdx rider though....
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Along w/ the great susp....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Stiff is better, no?

We'll have to see how it goes. The aluminum frame presents more challenges than the steel one, that's for sure.

I've always liked Honda suspension. For what it was, my old XR400 had some good suspension.

When REALLY pushed, I swear I can feel the KDX flex, I think, maybe, sort of, something happens....
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That will make your XR400 susp feel like your on a 70's vintage bike.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Stiff is better, no?
Vibration. that bike is known for transmitting a lot of virbation. I'm sure that is what MX riders say, not KDX riders. It will be a GREAT frame to house a KDX.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Interesting swingarm bearing arrangement on the CR.

There are thrust bearings on both sides, outboard.

The KDX does not have those. I looked again at the KDX design and realize that it is metal to metal resisting side loads on the swingarm.
It goes frame-seal-bearing inner sleeve-seal-motor- seal-bearing inner sleeve-seal- frame
The swingarm bolt pulls it all together. The seals have metal collars built into them that maintain the spacing. As the swingarm moves up and down I assume the seals rotate in the swingarm seal pockets. The collars in the seals bear against the needle bearing ends, resisting side loads.

On the cr swingarm to KDX motor joint, it looks like I'll have to shorten one of the CR inner sleaves by 6 mm and shorten the motor mounting hole by 4 mm. The motor mounting hole will have to be drilled out to 17 mm.

I've sat the motor in the frame and it certainly looks like it will work. I'll have to make mounting brackets, of course.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

If you search on here a bit someone a few years ago built one just like that....Then I think we never heard from him again...LOL.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You think maybe he is out riding?

Or.....

The motor is clearanced (Grind on parts 'till they clear each other), the motor is in the frame, swingarm works out fine.
I used a '96 CR exhaust and cut off the part that goes in the cylinder on one of my OEM KDX pipes and welded it to the CR pipe.
Head stay worked out fine.
I've got two other motor mounts to make and sort out the radiator hoses. Flow is up the cylinder from the pump and out the head, yeah?
All the cables work.
need a set of footpegs, or LH one only, and a set of linkage bearings.
Wiring harness off the donor KDX.

I'm thinking of a green and red color scheme, just to piss people off. :lol:

Christmasy, ya know..
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Cool! Pictures!!!!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Motodeficient

Post by Motodeficient »

I saw a CR250 on ebay with the KDX engine, so it is possible.... Don't remember what year CR it was.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It was a '95. Saw it a while back. That was before the aluminum frame.

I've always liked the look of the perimeter styler frames honda has been using since 1997. Your KDX will look WILd inside that CR frame. Good luck and for god's sake, upload a picture of your progress :mrgreen:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'll get some pictures shortly. Actually, I'll have to e-mail them to a fellow friendly board member. Our company web blocking software is pretty tight. I bet my Boss is watching right now! :butthead:

The bike is coming together. I've got the motor mounted but have a LOT of frame work to do-Brakes, suspension linkage, wiring, controls etc.
The motor needs to gone through... I'm going to send the whole motor less cylinder and head off to Fredette for a crankshaft replacement unless soeone has a better idea. I'm planning to go back stock with the motor while working out the suspension and control details before upgrading the motor.

I rolled it around the garage and boy does it feel light and stiff!
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

How does the CR250 chassis compare size-wise to the KDX chassis?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Seat height from ground, foot peg to seat and footpeg to handlebar all measure very similar, within an inch.
Wheelbase is about 2 inches longer. I don't know about rake.

The KDX motor is smaller than the CR motor, I'd say, but the cylinder comes out of the transmission at a bit of a forward angle. The cylinder exhaust port ended up being two inches back from the stock CR position. I had to cut two inches off an OEM KDX pipe and weld it to the stock CR pipe.

The intake worked out fine using the complete KDX airbox.

Sitting on the bike it feels completely different from the KDX. Very slim and light.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote: The cylinder exhaust port ended up being two inches back from the stock CR position. I had to cut two inches off an OEM KDX pipe and weld it to the stock CR pipe.
Be interesting to see what the heck this does to the power band - i.e. the two inches and a pipe originally designed for a CR.

Got to give you and other hybrid creators credit. It is interesting to watch and see the final outcomes. Don't believe it is fair to Penton, Burelson, Smith and others to directly compare your efforts :cry: :: BUT creating hybrids is what ultimately lead to the development of a number of new models of dirt bikes. :grin:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'm no Penton, that's for sure.

All I'm doing is screwing around- putting a low power motor in a high power frame. I've ridden a number of CR's over the years and found them way to powerfull for woods riding.

On the pipe-
I added two inches to the straight part of the CR250 pipe, before expansion starts. It needed some of that, comparing to the KDX stock pipe. The expansion area is larger on the CR pipe, but I had to dent it to clear the right side of the radiator and also the KIPS shaft cover.
I have no idea what it will do, but I bet it will be different than the stock KDX pipe.

My plan is to go ahead with a stock motor and work out the suspension and ergonomics (?) before considering doing any motor work.

My recent experience with my plugged up stock SA has further convinced me that speed is in the frame/suspension first, motor second to a large extent.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Just an update-

The motor is on the way back from Mr. Fredette.
(spent way more than I wanted to, but heck, that's why I have a job)

Assembly begins!

If someone will send me an e-mail adress and is willing to post pictures, I'll take some.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy