Sacrilege, or Good Sense? KDX into KTM

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
scrubby2009

Sacrilege, or Good Sense? KDX into KTM

Post by scrubby2009 »

New member here, NOT my first hybrid however. Short Intro to this Woods Weapon, and then PICS (because short attention spans...). This donor is a gift from my dad to my son. 1991 KDX 250 with a checkered past. Great old motor, everybody loved to ride it, but no one like the rear suspension, EVER. Couldn't make it work for all-around use and/or the different riders it was supposed to accommodate. Came to us in 2008 with a bashin pipe, cost prohibited replacement, so a "gift" from a friend resulted in the cutting and welding in of a late '90's 300EXC Gnarly. Shockingly, it worked, Always had a weird burbly flatspot, but it would chug for days, spewing smoke and slopper, but a quick clutch pull, throttle and *wait for it* after a two-count, it would get up on the pipe pretty good and had decent over-rev. My son is a large and cautious rider. Last year, when pops gave the old KDX to Jack, it had been in storage 3 years, carb and tank drained. Fresh gas, half a dozen kicks, it fired right off!

Jack was 5'6" and about 165, totally outgrown his YZ85 and he was borrowing mom's 200XC-W too often, so grampa turned over the KDX title. I whipped up a quick lowering link, cut the seat foam wa-ay down, and he grapped that giant heavy pig by the bars and put 20 or so hours on it last year.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Sacrilege, or Good Sense? KDX into KTM

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the KDX250.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128