Steel frame conversion

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Hellonwheels

Steel frame conversion

Post by Hellonwheels »

So I've got a 90 kdx that I am going to swap into a 96 kx125 is the process the same as for the aluminum frame swap is it easier harder any info pics insight whatever would be helpful looked around the site and could only find topics on the late model swaps thanks in advance now hurry up and proceed to post cool helpful ****
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Steel frame conversion

Post by KDXGarage »

Hellonwheels wrote:So I've got a 90 kdx that I am going to swap into a 96 kx125 is the process the same as for the aluminum frame swap is it easier harder any info pics insight whatever would be helpful looked around the site and could only find topics on the late model swaps thanks in advance now hurry up and proceed to post cool helpful ****
Here is something helpful.

Check your tone and attitude. :naughty:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Hellonwheels

Re: Steel frame conversion

Post by Hellonwheels »

No tone or attitude here guy(as much as I wanna fire back) just an eager builder that wants some as advice not looking for a fight but rather some pictures and insight to all else please post something helpful once again thanks in advance
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

I can't imagine it would be any different with exception to the type of welding. You'd still have to modify mounts
sarrant

Steel frame conversion

Post by sarrant »

Hellonwheels wrote:So I've got a 90 kdx that I am going to swap into a 96 kx125 is the process the same as for the aluminum frame swap is it easier harder any info pics insight whatever would be helpful looked around the site and could only find topics on the late model swaps thanks in advance now hurry up and proceed to post cool helpful ****
:hmm: By far the overwhelming majority of hybrids on this forum use the steel frame. I've only ever seen a couple that use aluminum KX-F frames. The E-Series engine will have basically the same mounting procedure as in the H as seen in nearly every thread in this subforum.

There's also a zillion pictures here, starting with the stickied threads at the top of the page.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The only difference from 95% of the hybrids fully documented on this site is the year of the engine and frame. The 90 and the 96 are both steel frame. A better option would be to go later on the frame (like 99-03). The process is the same but you have many more options for aftermarket parts for the later frames.

There's a lot of helpful **** located within reach of the sites search function. Now hurry up and do something cool with it.
Hellonwheels

Post by Hellonwheels »

Haha yea realized after a Lil searching that was the case didn't realize the kx used steel that late the chassis I already picked up from the junkyard mind you is perfect donor then and for 30 bucks can't be beat I'm picking out the kdx motor rebuild parts now have the kx chassis in my bedroom and am already doing cool **** so this is gonna be a fun custom
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Steel frame conversion

Post by ohgood »

Just trying to read that makes me want to never look at the thread again. You could have a hybrid clutch, hybrid frame, and fuel injection in the works, and I wouldn't care because it's so hard to read. Please punctuate! The effort you put into posts is normally a mirror image of the quality of the responses and help you receive. :-)