02 kx200 hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

This will be a slow build as I'm still riding the kx since it runs well now as my kdx donor needs a crank and bored/replated.

The kdx donor. I've never seen a bike so ragged out in my life.

The seller said it has a fresh top end (don't they all?) but it wouldn't start/had no compression. Didn't take long to figure out why

The cylinder is currently at 66.75mm. Unfortunately it has a big divot in the cylinder wall so it will need bored out and replated to fix that. Also the con rod big end bearing has a ton of side to side play, so I'll be need to address that too.

And here is the kx. It runs really well still so I've just been riding it around while my Husky 125/165 is down for a crank rebuild. Plus a titled frame that I'll be fitting the kdx engine in to and will eventually plate.

After getting it woods ready (skid plate, fat bars, bark busters, gummy rear tire, uhd tubes, spark arrestor, etc. )

Stuck an 03+ kickstand on. Had to drill a new hole and use both spacers from the hardware kit but it went on pretty easy.

The biggest change to the bike is the front forks. I have a yamaha wr250f that I put some newer kyb sss forks on and I had both bikes side by side and damn those forks upper look nearly identical. Checked it with a caliper and they are. Sweet. So here it is with 1 oem fork (silver) and one yamaha sss fork (gold). The previous pic shows it all together with both forks.

The forks are 2006. I had to use the yamaha front wheel, axle, and spacers for the brake rotor to line up, although I'm sure someone could just make new spacers for the kawi wheel.

And here is a video riding some stupid trails that a 125 probably shouldn't be used for. *edit* here is the link since it doesn't seem to want to embed

[youtube][/youtube]
-Joe

Husky WR177 - KX125 (200 soon)
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 02 kx200 hybrid

Post by Tyl3r »

Nice! Good luck with the build! What year is the KX? I am finally in the finishing stages of doing an 05 KX125 with an 04 220.

What state are you in? Just curious about the whole plate thing. I was thinking about trying to go the South Dakota route with my hybrid because it only came with a bill of sale.

Also, I see your forks look to be fairly high in relation to the top clamp. About how far up do they sit? I am unsure if I have mine raised up enough...looks like mine stick up half as much as yours. I know that one of mine was in the clamp slightly higher than the other and could notice some pretty good front end wobble. Wanted to make them even, just unsure how to end up with a height you are happy with
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

The kx is an 02. The kdx is a 95 or 96, I can't remember.

I am in WV. I considered doing the SD route but the bike has to be over 200cc and I don't know if being a hybrid would get around it since the bike itself started as a 125. Vermont might be another route to check out as the form says something about having to be under 300cc. Either way, I just picked up the extra frame since it already had a title.

The oem forks were slid up as this was the previous owner's wife bike and she was short.
-Joe

doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Hey, nice bike. Did you see the post about the group ride in WV we're setting up? Come join us!
gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

I had seen it. Unfortunately I have plans already for that weekend. We were just down there 2 weeks ago riding at the Buffalo Mountain and Rockhouse systems.

Definitely a good choice on your part to do it later on, it was just flat out miserable down there with temps and humidity in the 90's. We normally go the last weekend of October, but someone went and knocked up his wife, so that time frame wasn't going to work out this year.
-Joe

doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Bummer (on the plans, not the wife). Keep an eye peeled here. The date could change.
gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

Slightly off topic, but I got my Husky put back together (crank went out, now stroked to 177cc) and sold a bike for a buddy (yamaha wr250f). Made a couple bucks on the wr-f over what my buddy wanted, so I'll probably throw that in the hybrid fund.

-Joe

chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

I like your kickstand, you say it fits at 03+. Do you mean 03+ KX125? What brand is the kickstand?
gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

It is an MSR/TrailTech stand. Part # TR-343034 or 5400-00M or 5400-00

The current TT version appears to have updated the stand over the MSR I have. Costs more though. http://www.trailtech.net/kickstands/5400-00
-Joe

gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

Copied from the other guy's thread.

After way too much effort, here is the full 04/05 kx-f treatment. I need to finish a little bit of welding and make up some tabs for the lower rad shrouds. But it does look so much better now.

I used the tank (IMS 2.5, this caused the most grief), subframe, seat, airbox, and plastics. Total ended up being about $20 more than a new kx ims tank so not bad. Everything was bought used.

Frame needs modded for the IMS tank* (a stocker should fit without that) and new tabs welded on for the subframe. The airbox boot is smaller in diameter on the kxf than the kx, so had to stretch it on there quite a bit. Whenever I get around to doing my kdx swap I'll probably stick a lectron on at the same time and order it with a smaller inlet diameter.

* The upper shock supports on the 99-02 go forward up the frame. I chopped them off and welded in new ones with less forward angle to clear the tank. The lower/more substantial mounts are untouched.

Before for reference.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on 02:19 pm Oct 07 2016, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe

gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

I've been looking around for a good kdx cylinder without much luck. I'm almost thinking about finding another kdx that is in running condition for the donor since the engine I have now needs the cylinder done and a crank rebuild. But the 125 mill still runs fine and I got my Husky fixed up again so it has fallen to the back burner.
-Joe

gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

Still looking for a cylinder. I got a rod kit in hand so one of these days I'll split the kdx cases and replace that.

Meanwhile, I had a small mechanical issue with the Husky which put it out of commission for the last points race this year which means the KX gets to see some use again.

I had put a newer kx-f brake master on but the brakes were **** again so I stole the Brembo master off of my husky 610. Amazing brakes now. This will be my go to option from now on.

I had an old set of numbers so I cut them out and slapped them on there. This is the last race I'll be in L class so I'll order proper graphics over the winter.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on 06:24 pm Oct 29 2016, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Looks good. What is the L class?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

In the series I've been racing, L denotes under 200cc and C class. I'll be moving to 30+ C next year which will be J class.
-Joe

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ah, OK. Thanks.
gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

Braap. This was the last points race of the season and I got knocked back to 8th in the championship by 1 point at the previous race, so wanted to try and beat that kid. I didn't, sad face. I was ahead off the line but slid out on a turn, saved it, but he went by. I caught up with him again later on but wasn't able to do anything and he eventually rode off in to the sunset :kick:

I've only ridden this bike once before and the suspension seemed ok then. But omg it was terrible on this track. No compliance at all or traction at either end for that matter so it was super sketchy to ride. I was more beat after 1 lap on this bike than after an entire race on the husky. Any time I'd try and push the pace, I'd end up off in the trees somewhere. That is on me, I had time, I should have messed with the valving beforehand.

Plus the power curve of this engine goes from blaaaaaahhhhhh to OMGIWANNAGOFAST in about a millisecond :mrgreen:

There is a stock bore 200 cylinder on ebay right now I'm watching, hopefully I can snag it and start working on actually doing this swap.
-Joe

gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

Have a cylinder on the way finally so worked on the bottom end a bit.

Cases opened up to 17mm for the swingarm bolt (pictured bolt is a husky part)

Split the cases to pull the crank, looked a lot better in there than the outside does. I'll clean/blast the cases after I finish stripping the guts out.

-Joe

gots_a_sol

02 kx200 hybrid

Post by gots_a_sol »

A cylinder showed up today. I'm looking it over and thinking to myself, I really don't remember the one I bought having port work or having RACECRAFT engraved on the side of it in the pics. Come to think of it, this doesn't look like a kdx cylinder. Oh look at that, it is marked 249cc. Yea, that's not right. Look at the sellers other items and there is the cylinder I'm holding in my hands, from a KX250.

On the plus side, it was packaged very nicely :lol:
Last edited by gots_a_sol on 06:41 pm Nov 10 2016, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh my. Not good.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

It sounds like your projects go just like mine... every stupid little thing that could pop up and cause delays has to happen! haha

How did you split the cases? Did you use a case splitter? I'm going to sit down and start tearing apart my dual sport pretty soon... I am wondering if I can get the cases split with some gentle prying and taping.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike