Call me crazy but.. Suzuki RM250/RMZ kdx abomination

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Call me crazy but.. Suzuki RM250/RMZ kdx abomination

Post by Jaguar »

KDX tends to swap ends in the fast bumps but turns great in the woods.
Why?
It has a steep fork angle. It is made for woods use exclusively.
I rode mine in motocross and almost killed myself till I dropped the forks and lowered the rear end, all to increase fork angle.
If you want to ride both woods and MX/harescrambles then you're better off with the geometry that a motocross bike gives you.
Otherwise make your front fork angle adjustable. I think Can-Am sold a bike with adjustable angle. (please correct me if it wasn't Can-Am)
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

yes it was CanAm, adjustable from 25 to 31 degrees (from vertical)
http://www.classiccanam.com/canam6.htm
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

Ya, I dont plan on using the KDX Chassis I will put the KDX engine in a MX chassis
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

http://usednewmoto.com/kawasaki/35077-k ... -ride.html

Here is a link to a bike I found on Google images KDX200/2001 RM250 Hybrid Engine looks like it belongs in the frame I think. Let me know if the link works new at this and I couldnt figure out how to get just he image to copy
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

The link worked. There is just more room around the engine due to the larger cradle, especially under the engine.

What I meant by "looks more at home" is that a 125 frame has just enough room for a 125 to fit. Same thing with a 250,etc. Since the kdx 200/220 is based on a 125 enine, it fits the 125 more like a production bike would.

It doesnt look bad, it just boils down to personal tastes.
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

Ya, I completely see what you are talking about and you are right I guess I am just used to the extra space there is around my cases on my KTM but I agree I think the KDX engine in your Hybrid and some of the others on here look like they came from the factory. I would think in the case of this RM250 the guy could have mounted it closer towards the front and away from the tank it fits awfully close to the tank. I would love to build on the RM125 chassis I just dont think it would work without major mods to the tank the way the RM tanks come down so far but maybe not.. I am sure I will go with the KX125 for the same reason most do just wanted to explore options before going all in.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

EasyE#528 wrote:I would think in the case of this RM250 the guy could have mounted it closer towards the front and away from the tank it fits awfully close to the tank.
There is very little choice where you mount the engine. The swingarm bolt is going to determine the forwards/backwards placement of the engine. And you cant tilt the motor up /down too far without creating other problems.

And finally left to right is dictated by chain alignment.
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

I dont know why I wasnt thinking about that.. duh. I guess I had better just get on looking for a good deal on a KX. It doesnt seem like the RM is that realistic of an option. Bummer cuz I love the handling characteristics of the RM but I am sure a KX with the KDX engine and good suspension will be pretty sweet. Just wish I could ride one before goin all in.