Should I take the Hybrid plung? or just go buy a Beta

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

New guy here been creeping on the forum for a while now, I do not currently own a KDX. My current ride is a KTM150SX I grew up riding trails in Idaho which led to racing XC and then eventually I got pretty serious into Motocross. I have gotten out of racing XC for the most part in resent years but continue to race motocross and trail ride. I am wanting to get back into racing XC and Harescramble type races competitively at the local level. I could just make some offroad specific mods to my 150 and it works great for me as a woods bike but I would like to keep it Motocross oriented and build a bike tailored to XC/Enduro type racing. Also I just think its awesome to take something from nothing and make it into really something I think I would take great pride in racing let alone placing well with something I had created. That being said I have been eyeballing the new Beta 300 X-trainer (dirtrider compared it to the only new equivalent to the KDX) the X-trainer retails for $7299 looking at some of these builds I am sure they didnt come out too much less than that. I think the KDX powerplant would really serve me well at most of the races I will be competing in there is a fair amount of tight technical terrain but I still want the stability for straight sections and maybe even take the bike to the MX track now and then thus my reason for building a Hybrid over the stock chassis. I guess my biggest fear isn't that I cant or wont build a hybrid that I like but that I will complete it and still want to just go buy a Beta or some other equivalent. I would really appreciate those of you who have experience with the KDX/Hybrid and better yet competitive racing with a hybrid to share your thoughts and suggestions with me.
Thanks a ton!
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Should I take the Hybrid plung? or just go buy a Beta

Post by Jaguar »

the X-trainer was made for women and beginners.
the KDX is great in the woods but suffers on a MX track due to its steep steering angle. I raced mine in MX but dropped the forks and lowered the rear end with a custom made dog bone.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

EasyE#528 wrote:the X-trainer retails for $7299 looking at some of these builds I am sure they didnt come out too much less than that.
You are correct that there are some very nice hybrids out there, but I'm not sure where you got that they cost that much.

Here is a good example: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... st#p169515

If you have the desire and ability to build one - do it! Part of my enjoyment in riding mine is that I know I built it myself and added my own personal touches that no one else has.
volkoff
Supporting Member

Post by volkoff »

[quote[the X-trainer was made for women and beginners][/quote]
I would disagree on the X-trainer being built for girls and beginners. It is a 300cc two stroke. I think you can build what you want for far less than the new Beta. I have about $3000 in my build and thanks to Ted98 it now has a Rekluse. Every time I walk past my bike I smile. the sense of pride is an awesome feeling. The feeling of making monthly payments on $7200 not so much.
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Not to high Jack thread, but how much for a Rekluse clutch?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

You should just buy my hybrid #2.
It is of the 200cc variety in a 2001 kx125 chassis.
I can only ride one at a time and I'm keeping #1.
It's a beauty & ready for action.

Option 2 is you can buy my cherry condition 2000 kdx200 and my low hour 2003 125 and put the two together into your own build. I have thought about it, but I don't really need a third hybrid.
How far are you from Northern California?
I'm thinking that my garage is too green.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Richkdx

Post by Richkdx »

volkoff wrote:[quote[the X-trainer was made for women and beginners]
I would disagree on the X-trainer being built for girls and beginners. It is a 300cc two stroke.[/quote]

It says so in the brochure. :wink:

IMO do what you can afford. Remember you'll have to source a donor bike and engine then fabrication etc whereas the girls bike errrrr Beta, you can hop on it and go- no down time.

Either bike is unique and won't be seen all the time so you'll have that exclusivity wherever you go... Beta would get more notice though.

I myself am bent on doing a CR/KDX aluminum frame.
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

I would disagree on the X-trainer being built for girls and beginners. It is a 300cc two stroke. I think you can build what you want for far less than the new Beta. I have about $3000 in my build and thanks to Ted98 it now has a Rekluse. Every time I walk past my bike I smile. the sense of pride is an awesome feeling. The feeling of making monthly payments on $7200 not so much.[/quote]

Thanks for the respons guys! I knew I would get some good feedback in this forum. I am gonna have to agree with volkoff on this one I think by design the X-trainor (having lower seat height and smooth torque power) has good potential as a beginner/ smaller persons bike but then again the KDX shares some of these same characteristics and clearly isnt just limited to a womens or kids bike. I think you hit the nail on the head with having pride in something unique that you created, that is what makes me want to start a build.
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

Richkdx wrote:
I would disagree on the X-trainer being built for girls and beginners. It is a 300cc two stroke.
It says so in the brochure. :wink:

IMO do what you can afford. Remember you'll have to source a donor bike and engine then fabrication etc whereas the girls bike errrrr Beta, you can hop on it and go- no down time.

Either bike is unique and won't be seen all the time so you'll have that exclusivity wherever you go... Beta would get more notice though.

I myself am bent on doing a CR/KDX aluminum frame.[/quote]

Ha, good point nice thing is I have my KTM 150SX which I have no plans of getting rid of in the mean time. I too like the idea of a CR/KDX af I have seen a few and they look clean and seem to work well together. The CR would definitely be the cheaper route to do an af. If I stick with steel frame I can do the fab work myself the however with aluminum I dont have access to a tig and will have to outsource that work.
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

doctord23 wrote:You should just buy my hybrid #2.

Option 2 is you can buy my cherry condition 2000 kdx200 and my low hour 2003 125 and put the two together into your own build. I have thought about it, but I don't really need a third hybrid.
How far are you from Northern California?
I'm thinking that my garage is too green.

I live in North Central Idaho would be a stretch but possibly would be interested in the 2000 kdx200... I honestly am thinking of using a KX250 chassis not sure why there isnt more of them used in hybrid builds? Is there that big of a weight difference I havent really done my research on that part yet.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

I vote build a hybrid. It works for me, I like to tinker on things. This gives me the perfect excuse.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

EasyE#528 wrote:
I live in North Central Idaho would be a stretch but possibly would be interested in the 2000 kdx200... I honestly am thinking of using a KX250 chassis not sure why there isnt more of them used in hybrid builds? Is there that big of a weight difference I havent really done my research on that part yet.
I think that a 125 frame is the way to go. I believe that the 250 frame has a longer engine bay (i.e. the front down tubes are farther forward) so you would need to extend the kdx pipe inlet to reach the head.
You also save a little weight with the 125 frame. There really is no advantage to going with the 250 chassis except a slightly longer wheelbase and stiffer front forks and rear spring. Both of those should be dialed in on for the rider anyway.

You could also go with a kxf frame, but it is more work. The early ones had steel frames. The later ones are aluminum frames and I don't see any advantage of an aluminum frame in a woods bike, except that you get some updated suspension technology.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1996 Honda Magna V4
ssrlewis

Post by ssrlewis »

[quote="doctord23"]You should just buy my hybrid #2.

How much would option #1 cost me?

Steve
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

doctord23 wrote:
EasyE#528 wrote:
I think that a 125 frame is the way to go. I believe that the 250 frame has a longer engine bay (i.e. the front down tubes are farther forward) so you would need to extend the kdx pipe inlet to reach the head.
You also save a little weight with the 125 frame. There really is no advantage to going with the 250 chassis except a slightly longer wheelbase and stiffer front forks and rear spring. Both of those should be dialed in on for the rider anyway.

You could also go with a kxf frame, but it is more work. The early ones had steel frames. The later ones are aluminum frames and I don't see any advantage of an aluminum frame in a woods bike, except that you get some updated suspension technology.

Thanks, you bring up a good point I didnt think about the down tubes being that much further out. I guess part of my reason for thinking the 250 frame vs. the 125 is I like the way the stock motors sit in the frames by that I mean I actually like how they have some space around them between the cases and the frame rails seems like allot of the 125 hybrids look "stuffed" in there but I agree if it doesnt really save you any weight it might not be the way to go. It would be nice to build as light as possible. I have played around with the idea of using an aluminum frame but other than the "cool factor" I dont really see enough of an advantage for the extra work and cost either but then again I have never owned an aluminum framed bike I have had two KTM Chromoly and an 03 YZ125 with the steel frame before that.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

EasyE#528 wrote:Thanks, you bring up a good point I didnt think about the down tubes being that much further out. I guess part of my reason for thinking the 250 frame vs. the 125 is I like the way the stock motors sit in the frames by that I mean I actually like how they have some space around them between the cases and the frame rails seems like allot of the 125 hybrids look "stuffed" in there
To me the KDX engine looks more at home in the 125 frame than the 250.

I once started building a kdx 200 hybrid out of a 250. Got the new mounts welded in and stopped when I bolted in the engine. It looked so out of place with having that much extra room around the engine that I bailed on that project based on only how it looked.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

ssrlewis wrote:How much would option #1 cost me?

Steve
I'm hoping to get $2200 for it.

If you want to see some pictures. email me at (my forum user name) at msn.com
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1996 Honda Magna V4
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

Tedh98 wrote:
EasyE#528 wrote:Thanks, you bring up a good point I didnt think about the down tubes being that much further out. I guess part of my reason for thinking the 250 frame vs. the 125 is I like the way the stock motors sit in the frames by that I mean I actually like how they have some space around them between the cases and the frame rails seems like allot of the 125 hybrids look "stuffed" in there
To me the KDX engine looks more at home in the 125 frame than the 250.

I once started building a kdx 200 hybrid out of a 250. Got the new mounts welded in and stopped when I bolted in the engine. It looked so out of place with having that much extra room around the engine that I bailed on that project based on only how it looked.

Thanks for the insight ya I figured there was probably some reasons you dont see more of them out there.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

If you do decide hybrid go with the 2003-2005 chassis.
I wish Husky would offer a TE150 or 200.
I had a 2014 Husky CR125 with a 165 Big bore and it was a fun bike.
But when KTM bought them out.
So I sold it before parts got scarce and built my 04 hybrid.
EasyE#528

Post by EasyE#528 »

kx200 wrote:If you do decide hybrid go with the 2003-2005 chassis.
I wish Husky would offer a TE150 or 200.
I had a 2014 Husky CR125 with a 165 Big bore and it was a fun bike.
But when KTM bought them out.
So I sold it before parts got scarce and built my 04 hybrid.
How does your hybrid compare in handling to the Husky? I bet that big bore would be a blast I have a KTM 150sx and I love it tons of fun only thing is in real technical stuff it lacks the low end and smooth power delivery of a bigger bike. Have you ever looked at the GasGas EC 200? I see they are coming out with 2017 models I am sure they are really spendy and I looked at the specs and they are a bit on the heavy side 230 lbs sweet looking bikes though.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I committed the mortal moto sin of adding up my receipts after I built my '03 hybrid--I have since compartmentalized that information to a dead region of my brain so that I could be happy, so I can't give you the exact number. But it was somewhere over $6000.

IF you can do your own welding, you can save some coin. IF you can avoid having the suspension rebuilt and revalved and resprung, you can save some money there, too. IF you can resist powder coating your frame, adding a Scotts steering stabilizer, getting a big tank, lacing up an 18" rear wheel, putting on a side stand, getting a skid plate, rebuilding the motor twice, getting two sets of plastics, etc., then you can do it for cheaper. But once that mentality of, "well, it's apart, so why don't I do this and this and this and this and this and this" kicks in, it's best to start burning your receipts.

That said, I really do like my hybrid. However, I don't like the front end stability in really wet/slippy conditions. I find it hard to hold a line when the trail get's super greasy. I love it in dry conditions, though.
David Eckel