Which side gets longer spokes?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Which side gets longer spokes?

Post by Tyl3r »

I am trying to lace my KDX rim to my 05 KX125 rear hub. The spoke kit came with half 190mm spokes, and half 192mm spokes.

Do the longer spokes go on the sprocket side or the brake side?

I was thinking that when the wheel is built, the rim favors the disc side, so the longer spokes would go on the sprocket side to help get it over that way. Is that correct? I really don't want to put this all together to go out for my first ride and find the bike makes 2 tire tracks lol

Please help! I can't seem to find an answer anywhere on the interwebs..
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Which side gets longer spokes?

Post by B737driver »

Just 9 that are longer...is that right?

That's how mine were. If I remember correctly. I spent a lot of time on the interwebs trying to figure it out myself.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/699002 ... -the-rest/
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

No, they are actually half and half. I purchased them from ProWheel. I was hoping to find something ton ton heir website, but was unsuccessful.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Now that I am looking at photos of the wheel before I took it apart, I am starting to think that the longer ones go on the disc side... the hub is fatter where the sprocket side spokes go in that it is where the disc side spokes go in:
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I would think it might be a little easier to figure out since it's half and half. Once you start lacing it up, run the nipple down the same amount on either side (same amount of threads showing) and check the amount of "play". If it's the same.....you got it right.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

The longer ones go to the inside of the hub on each side. The wheel should be center line of the hub.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

alright... I don't have anything better to do today lol going to try it with the longer spokes on the insides, makes sense...would keep the rim centered.

I think I got the front just about squared away, not too bad for my first time. I am seeing about .030" total runout in the axial and radial directions. The manual says .040" is allowed for a new wheel... spinning the wheel and looking at it, I feel like I can do better
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Try, try, and try again. Lol good luck man in still waiting on me cases to show up so I can get started. I have a garage full of parts and boxes except for the one thing I need... So goes life
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

well, nipples are too big for the rear rim and I don't have the correct sized bit to enlarge the holes to where I want them. O well, guess I'll get a bit tomorrow and try again.

I did get the front wheel to .025" total indicated runout in both directions. I think that's a good stopping point.
Ffryno13 wrote:Try, try, and try again. Lol good luck man in still waiting on me cases to show up so I can get started. I have a garage full of parts and boxes except for the one thing I need... So goes life
I hear ya, my parts are piling up as well, waiting on the motor mounts. Once I do that, I can powder coat the frame and swing arm, rebuild the top end, and I figure its mainly just a matter of putting it back together.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Yeah I'm getting anxious and can only do so much cleaning. Lol. And re organizing.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, I can confirm. Ffryno was correct, the short spokes are the outers and the long ones are the inners. I'll post a pic of the finished wheels in my build thread, they came out awesome if you ask me!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Did you happen to measure the offset of the KX wheel before you took it apart? When I was putting my 18" rim on the the hybrid, I didn't measure the offset and just assumed the rim was centered on the hub. Turns out that was a wrong assumption.

A lot of fun truing it a 2nd time to get the offset right.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, before I took the bike apart, I laid the wheel down flat on a table and measure the distance from the table up to the rim on either side. Is that enough? I'm glad that you said that because I never checked again to see if that was right after I got done.

What was the issue that caused your offset to be in the wrong direction? The location of the spokes? Or did you have to flip the rim around? I know that my rim had the serial number stuff on the sprocket side, so I at least kept that the same when I started lacing.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

I'm not 100% sure but your off set should be built in to your hub. If your spokes are equal length then they should pull the wheel at the same angle and tension causing your center line for your wheel to be center line of your hub
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tyl3r wrote:What was the issue that caused your offset to be in the wrong direction? The location of the spokes? Or did you have to flip the rim around?
Nope, just a combination of using a hub from one bike (KX), a rim from another (KDX) and aftermarket SS spokes. It wasn't off much, but enough that I had to correct it.

It is funny that on this page they mention measuring the offset, but then don't mention checking the offset again after you start lacing it up. But I may have been distracted and missed it.
http://www.warp9racing.com/how-to/how-t ... cle-wheel/