Frankenstein 250

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Cr480r

Frankenstein 250

Post by Cr480r »

Thought I would share my beater. It's not a typical hybrid, but has proven to be a good bike for me. I started with a 1994 KX500 chassis I bought for the engine parts. I had a complete engine from a 3wheeler I had built years ago. The engine was a mix of KDX & KX components. The cases, trans, and electrical are from a 1991 KDX250. The crankshaft, cylinder, and piston are from a 1998 KX250. I used a 2003 Head for the rear stay and it bolted right in with 1989 mounts. The exhaust system is also 1989 KX250. The engine was fun in the 3wheeler and I was doing a lot of dune riding at the time, but I always knew the kdx gear spacing and broad powerband would be well suited for a dirtbike. The engine will pull down to nothing when I need traction... And will run with just about anything in the open areas. I recently added a 3.5 gallon IMS tank, and 46mm conventionals from a 1989 KX.. After tuning the oil level they work very well for my purposes.

Image Image
sarrant

Frankenstein 250

Post by sarrant »

Fun looking bike. Those '89 46mm conventional are supposed to be fantastic forks. Supposedly the test riders begged for them to be put on the perimeter chassis after testing them in development. But for marketing reasons, Kaw felt they needed to switch to a more modern looking fork to match their radical new chassis design.
vintagekawi

Frankenstein 250

Post by vintagekawi »

Cool projects! I love the tecate, I have wanted one for years. I also have a kdx 220 engine sitting in my basement waiting for a hybrid project.