not sure if you call it a hybrid or not.

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
bansheedave

Post by bansheedave »

Hello. I have some questions for everyone. But before I begin, I need to tell you about my bike. I have a 96 kx frame with a 94 kx motor and suspension bolted on. I modified the frame to run an IMS desert tank from a 99-01 bike along with with the seat, airbox, subframe and plastics. I installed a tusk dualsport kit and made it street legal. In the process of it, I took a yamaha blaster keyed switch, added two more wires. That eliminated the kx kill switch and also turns the tusk kit on and off. The bike can't start without the key now. I also am running a 94 kdx 250 stator, flywheel and all electrical system. That runs the bike and the tusk headlight. Both high beam and low beam. I also added a rectifier to run with the tusk kit so I can keep the on board battery charged. Everything seems to work ok I guess. I still need to build some 17 inch supermoto wheels. That will come soon.

My question is this. Even though the bike starts and runs, it starts a bit harder than the stock digital ignition the kx was equipped with. Is that normal? And, though the timing mark on the kdx flywheel lines up in the exact same place as the kx flywheel, I am in sure of the stator plate timing marks. The kx has a timing boss in a certain place to time the kx stator, but is the 94 kdx case have the pointer cast in its case in the same place as the kx? If not, can I get a picture of the kdx pointer so I can rotate my stator correctly?

Thanks , Dave
bansheedave

Post by bansheedave »

Can I get this moved to general questions? Maybe I can find my answer there. I did a search and didn't come up with any answers. :sad: