Hybrid inquries

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Thirtytwobit

Hybrid inquries

Post by Thirtytwobit »

Hi there,

Thought I'd ask a few questions before I plan out the KX hybrid I'm thinking about. I don't have a KDX to start from.

1) Is it better to get a rolling chassis? If those can't be found easily, how much worse would I be off by building from parts entirely?
2) Is it possible to use the KDX rear fender on the KX subframe (i.e. it won't sit at a weird angle, require excessive working with a heat gun, etc)
3) What forks are the "usual recommendation" for a 150lb/70kg rider who rides "somewhat casually"?
4) I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a bare KDX engine. I'm going to assume that building one up from parts isn't worth it. What are your suggestions?
5) What gearing do y'all run on your hybrids?

Thanks!
molokaiKDX

Re: Hybrid inquries

Post by molokaiKDX »

Question is , do you have a kx to start with? Is it a 125 or a 250? Someone posted earlier about a kx/kdx hybred. Form the pictures the bike looked killer, but also looks like a lot of time and money was put into the project. Do you have the time and money to build this project? My suggestion would be to find a kdx first, than see what you want to do. If it's a good running bike than I suggest just do the basic routine maintenance. For your weight 150 the stock suspension would be fine. It's for heavier riders like me that need the suspension mods. Find a bike first than work from there.
Thirtytwobit

Hybrid inquries

Post by Thirtytwobit »

I don't have either a KX or KDX to start with.

About ten years ago I did get to ride a hybrid. I forgot what year it was (of the bike) but as time wore on I grew to love the motor.

To build it should not be too serious of a problem for me, I can fabricate and weld (I am a welder by trade). I work on my own vehicles so this stuff doesn't scare me. I have done a tonne of reading and the only things I would need someone else with a shop to work on would be a) the crankcase drilling operation, b) the modification of the swingarm with a mill, and c) the powdercoating of the frame and subframe.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You can mod the swingarm and drill the case yourself. If you are a competent welder and have a decent set of tools the actual fabrication can be done in an afternoon. Good words from molokai, just find a KDX and get riding. You may find it fits your bill. If not, its a lot nicer to have a bike to ride while building up the parts for a hybrid.
Yugmoto

Hybrid inquries

Post by Yugmoto »

I've started with two complete bikes. The KDX I got in trade for some CR500 stuff, and the 2000 KX125 I bought complete for $800, the guy also included a trailer hitch mounted carrier and a stand. I think my project will work out easy for me since I will have all the fasteners and original parts from both bikes to compare and decide which to use. I picked up the 125 pretty reasonable with little use on it and was able to sell the engine for $350. I also sold most of the KDX parts and will sell the KX front end since I plan to use an RM Showa front end that I have on hand. I think I got a little lucky and the right deals came along when I had the means to nab them, but I think it will make my project move fairly smooth, when I get time to work on it. You could piece it together, and I don't think I'll need much from the KDX, but I think a whole KX that doesn't cost much is easily obtainable with decent resale for the engine. Good luck whichever way you go.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hybrid inquries

Post by Tedh98 »

My $.02

1. A roller is ideal, but as you indicated, those aren't always easy to find. You might have to buy a complete bike and plan on selling the engine. Building a hybrid from parts would have to be painfully expensive and time consuming. You should definitely be able to find a complete bike for less.

2. No idea. Is that just to be able to use the fender bag?

3. Not sure exactly what you mean by "what forks". Usually people use the forks that came with the MX bike. Assuming you start with a 125, the springs should be close for your weight. I'm sure you would want a revalve though.

4. Similar answer to #1. Building one from parts would likely be more expensive then getting a complete KDX and selling what you don't need. Remember you also need the electronics and the wiring harness is nice to have as a starting point. From time to time an engine shows up on eBay. There is/was recently one but the buyer is asking $1500.

5. That is a detail I wouldn't worry about for a while.
Thirtytwobit

Hybrid inquries

Post by Thirtytwobit »

If I'm forced to go with a complete KDX200, how much would I be able to sell the rolling chassis for?

The rear fender is because I like the look of it better. When the MX fender + 45 degree taillight rear fender "addon" first came out I liked them because it looked different than everybody else was using but now that everybody uses them from the factory they look overused. It's an aesthetic thing.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

You would likely end up parting out the KDX. I would be surprised if there was much interest in a KDX roller. But you never know.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Depending on where you are located. There is a guy here in mid Missouri that is buying up all my left overs from Hybrid builds. Price will determine how much you can sell. I have done 3 now and if at all possible I would start with 2 bikes. There are brackets/bolts/hose clamps/etc that are just way to handy to have
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200