98 KX/200 KDX sprockets

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
DoubleA

98 KX/200 KDX sprockets

Post by DoubleA »

Hi Guys,

I've found a ton of use in the hybrid builds you are all doing, and I'm so pumped to be doing my own! On to my question-

I am using a 1998 KX Frame (pretty much free, I know there are easier frames to use) for my 2002 KDX engine- I know that the front head stay bolts right up to the KX frame...After I get the engine bolted in by the swingarm and the front head stay bolt, I should be able to use that position to jig and make some lower frame mount templates from right? If the engine stays in that position (defined by the swingarm mount and front head stay), I should be alright with the front sprocket alignment right? As in avoiding the chain rubbing problems?

Thanks!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: 98 KX/200 KDX sprockets

Post by KarlP »

You'll have to try it and see.
The only mounting point you HAVE to use is the swingarm through bolt. The rest of the mounting points depend on what the carb/airbox and pipe are going to force you to do. There is no sense doing a lot of modifying on a pipe just because you want to use the old front mount. There is no sense having to struggle with the air box boot connection because you don't want to cut off and re-do another mount.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy