new to the forum - like what I am reading

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
volkoff
Supporting Member

Post by volkoff »

Hello,
I just want to say hi. I am an XR400 lover but have been thinking about a KTM 200 or 300. I do not what to be that guy. I just bought my wife a basically brand new KLX140L and found your forum. Well I think the KDX200 or 220 in a KX125 roller is the best thing I have heard in a long time. I love my XR as a "dual sport" but it beats the crap out of me on the tight rocky stuff. I want a lighter woods bike to rip around our 10 acres of woods. What motor 200 or 220. I want the more low end tractor motor. Is there a year to look for in motors, and in the KX roller, what is the best combo to do? Thank you all in advance. Also is anybody willing to sell a hybrid? I live in PA.
Nick
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome to the site!

A 220 will give better bottom end and a 200 has more top end with respectable bottom end power. Both (95+) 200 and 220's are the same engine other then the cylinder and related parts so if you find one and decide you wanted the other down the road it is an easy swap.

I would say to go with a 95-06 engine for no reason other then parts availability and the KIPS problems with the 89-94.

I think the general thought is a 99-01 KX is the easiest swap to make. But anything is doable.

Good luck!
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

I'm new to the forum as well, just got a 2000 kx and a 03 kdx 200 to start my hybrid. Kinda wanted a suzuki, but the kaw is too clean and cheap. There is a hybrid for sale here in the Phoenix Az area for $1600. It is on CL, not sure about condition or anything and shipping might be an issue. Might be worth looking into though.
Last edited by Yugmoto on 05:52 am Sep 12 2013, edited 1 time in total.
xlsbronco

Re: new to the forum - like what I am reading

Post by xlsbronco »

I never search Craigslist out of my i'm willing to travel too area just hate teasing myself.Lately i have been looking for a kx250 to expand my options on trail days.

I have a 220 and love the how it handles the rocks.The bike right from the start begs to be challenged in the woods rocks,roots,rutted rocky hill climbs a absolute blast.

Only recently i have felt the need to start jumping more and so my search begins for a cheap kx 250.
volkoff
Supporting Member

Post by volkoff »

So, I am $$$ a little closer to a hybrid. I am working on getting an 01 KX. I am working with the current owner who lives in OHIO trying to get his title changed from ORV to MC. This way I can bring it into PA and get a plate for it. I will need to get lighting but not a big deal. Are there any know issues with this 01 year KX and fitment issues? I really don't mind cutting and relocating tabs, just do not want to be putting dents in header pipes to make them fit. I will be using an over sized IMS tank for a little longer ride time. Also I want to build either 200 or 220 motor whatever comes my way at the best price. I will be rebuilding either, so any suggestions on what to change once the motor is open would be great. Is a flywheel weight a good idea and which one. I am really looking for a tractor in this motor not a race bike. What is the best exhaust setup for low end woods riding? I will keep poking around this site for ideas, thanks.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Mines a 05 and it was super easy with no exhaust mods just relocated the hangers on the frame and subframe engine tab relocation head stay modified and swingarm cut. No tank mods either.
Did I say riding?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Lots of good info in the hybrids section. The most common combos are h-model 200 or 220 motor in a 99-05 KX125 frame. As with any hybrid, everyone is a little different, but all easily done with a modest workshop and set of tools. For tractor go with the 220 motor. Biggest concern item is the stock piston. Really no need for a flywheel weight, and if you're going street legal rewind the lighting stator for more juice.
volkoff
Supporting Member

Post by volkoff »

Just a quick update. I just bought an 03 KX125 frame with an MC title. Will be here on Monday. Now I just need to find a nice KX to pull the motor and sell and get all the other stuff for the plated frame. My plan is to get another KX swingarm and fab two frames and swingarms. The non titled frame will have new motor mounts for a 200 or 220 also I will do the swingarm cuts. I don't want to do any exhaust mounts on the extra frame, I will leave that to the new owner. I figure by selling the KX motor and the mostly finished hybrid frame and swingarm, my complete rolling KX is basiacally free. So I am also looking for my donor KDX220. I may just buy a 200 and get a 220 jug and crap. In the meantime I also added 07 RMZ 250 USD forks to my XR400. It is going to be a great season. Suggestions please.