To all CR Hybrid builders

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
smokehouseman

Re: To all CR Hybrid builders

Post by smokehouseman »

I've read in other posts on CR builds that the radiators have to moved up and the hoses routed different. Has anyone tried using the KDX radiators for the build or will they not work.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

dan_b

I can't tell you on your particular frame. My '99 250 frame did not have a problem. The motor is rotated forward to the point the you can't get at the screws that hold the KIPS cover on above the exhaust port.
I used the CR radiator and hoses from the local auto parts store. The guy let me look at the racks of hoses and I bought what I thought I could use to cut the right bends out of.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
hybridracing65

To all CR Hybrid builders

Post by hybridracing65 »

dan_b wrote:Karl,

The issue with the pipe is not as simple as to just extend the pipe. if the motor is not rotated forward enough there is not room for the pipe to have a path to the cylinder thru the very top of the wishbone. I did see another build with a newer chassis I think 03 and no notching of the frame was needed. Can anyone shed light on this?

dan_b
With the 03 frame you have clearance for the pipe but if yu blink yu will not see it. its that tight. Pipe modification really was just cutting the pipe welds and rotation of the center section and reweld. With the 03 frame the swingarm and lower motor mount line up perfectly. Yes you will need to rasie the radiators if you use stock cr rads. however if you were to modify the radiators to the KDX hose routing then you may not need to raise them. In other words move the spiggots and do some welding to the rads.
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

The first thing that needs to get established is whether your using a E or an H motor.
An H motor offers easier pipe routing.
I had no problem with header clearance on my 2001/E bike. Only needed to extend it a little at the port.
Hey hybridracing-how bout a few pics?
reviving old war-horse.