The longest ever hybrid build.

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The longest ever hybrid build.

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, I don't buy the whole KX rear suspension geometry is better line. The swingarms are nearly identical, the linkages are close as well as the dog bone lengths. The KX's got a beefier swingarm pivot bolt and linkage bolts, with thicker dogbones and stiffer springs for MX duties. From what I have measured and looked at, the geometry on the KDX is very close to the KX, the biggest difference in the rear is due to the shock itself. Like I've said before, engineers are lazy and when they find something that works they don't stray far from it without very good reason, which is why so many critical parts are interchangeable between KX/KDX, even placement of the swingarm pivot in the cases is close. If you can get good bushings to mate the KDX swingarm pivot bolt to the KX frame I say go for it, the swingarm (as you've noted has the same dimesnions) will not be the drawback. (Now trying to put KDX forks on a KX frame would be a drawback lol). I like the KDX swingarm better (at least the chain adjusters, I HATE the KX axle blocks arrangement) and if I were to do it again , which I may, I think I'd go the KDX swingarm route. Worst case it sucks ass and you end up drilling the case, or going back to the KDX frame.

As for the oversize tanks, I haven't fitted one, but have read that others have had better luck with IMS than with Clarke. For the riding I do the stock tank is plenty big enough for now.
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

rbates9 wrote:
CoronasAndChips wrote:Not sure exactly, I stuffed a 97' KX 250 rear shock in my 2002 KDX with KDX swingarm. 30 more mm of travel.
Could you notice any difference in the ride?
Well, The trails still have too much snow but just riding the ditches and around the woods next to the trails it seems more "twitchy"? I did go to a 19" rear rim and the 110/90/19 tire that came with the donor bike. BTW that combo almost make the sidestand useless. I have my compression set to 3 clicks out on the front and rebound to stock settings. rear sag is near perfect both static and race but the settings for both rebound and comp are both set a little soft/slow because it's gonna be a mudfest when this rain stops and the trails are rideable.

Hope that helps
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Well, this is going to really turn into the longest build ever...

I decided to check the VIN before I got too much tied up in the build and it turns out that the bike was stolen back in 2010. I thought about what to do and I figured that if it was my bike that was stolen then I would want it back, so I will have to turn it in and if the owner doesn't want it back I might be able to keep it. But if not I will at least have a feeling of doing the right thing... And learned an expensive lesson.

So I am back to the beginning. But at least I have a better idea of what I want to do.

And if any one is buying a bike with no paper work then call the local sherif and have then check the numbers before you buy.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

had a oh **** moment and called the sheriff

Im fourth owner and came from pa but was clean.

However you cannot call a vin in before you buy. Its considered personal.

You can call a vin when you 'own' it or have it in your posession. But then your telling on yourself really and unless you have bill of sale there and all the other paperwork. Copy of their license etc. You can be going to jail for recieving stolen property. Yes they take it as well. You dont get to chat with the old owner it gets impounded. You can go to court and show what you have in it and if you improved or updated maching you might get money back but not entirely.

Best bet get a cop buddy. The officer told me his friend bought a 4 wheeler for 3500 and he had to take it asked him to check it and whalla. Told me DONT buy off of craigslist unless its local and you know the person.

I actually did know his family his niece was known as weararubberweber. Long story.

Sorry about your loss man. Your a good person and it will come back to you the same.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You can have a VIN checked before you buy.(Carfax for example)

I went thru a law enforcement officer to have it checked and unless you know that it was stolen then there isn't anything that can come back on you. Yes they do impound the property, no I can't talk to the owner, but since the bike was stolen from the other side of the state it will be up to the owner to come retrieve the bike and if he declines then it can be released back to me.

Well, just have to wait and see what happens. Not counting on anything...
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

What ended up ?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.