RM 125 good candidate?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

RM 125 good candidate?

Post by KarlP »

I rode a guys RM 125 this weekend. Really liked it, even though it was pretty beat up. '05 I think...

Has anybody done a hybrid with one of these?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: RM 125 good candidate?

Post by Julien D »

Haven't seen anyone actually tackle it yet, although there's been a few discussions started about it over the years. The RM/KX 125's have always been fairly similar machines. I wouldn't expect many issues that aren't already covered in the kx/kdx hybrids. Of course, I'm just talkin' out my ass because I haven't seen it done yet, but I would LOVE to see a finished RM KDX.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Pretty unrelated. All the RMZ250 and RM125 have in common is the color....

:mrgreen:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, the Z thread isn't really applicable. The RM125 and the KX are kissing cousins, so a lot of the fab work will be similar. I have seen one done on another site somewhere, just can't remember where right now. For the most part, all the 125 2Ts from 97-06 were similar, biggest difference was Honda and their aluminum frame, and there have been plenty of hybrids built from CRs. Even saw a KDX/WR one recently. Really comes down to how much work you want to put into it. I know on my hybrid, that was the part I enjoyed the most, all the tinkering and fitting...now I need another project
cole454

Post by cole454 »

Any 2 stroke chassis is going to be less work than I had to do with my RMZ/KXF. I completed mine in 2 weeks and raced it two days after it was completed :supz: I'd say I had 40hrs in my build, just plan ahead and everything will come together smoothly. Oh and I don't think I mentioned it but I'm only 20 years old and I did all the fab work on the bike myself. Yes, I'm only a few weeks away from having my A&P license and have more mechanical ability than most but don't be scared to tackle a Hybrid project the results are AWESOME!!!! Start a thread on here and update it as the build advances and if you run into any problems everybody on here will help you out. The RMZ between 2004-2006 was actually made by Kawasaki, my RMZ said Kawasaki manufacturing by the Vin. The end result was so worth it that when we get more time between me racing quads and breaking race bikes :neutral: we plan on building my dads 220 into a hybrid for a back up race bike for my dad. And I'm going to use another 250f chassis because I'm a little big for a 125 chassis lol.