2003 Hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Just thought I would chime in on the hybrid builds. Have just pulled mine down for powder coating. I started with a 96 200 motor and an 03 125 frame. Starting at the front here's a list of what I've done -
1. Revolved fronts forks with heavier springs
2. 03 KDX 200 FMF Gnarly pipe - no mods needed
3. 03-05 KX 250 FMF Powercore muffler - nearly a straight fit. Note to any potential builders - I started with a KDX 200 FMF muffler and when we tried to heat and bend it kinked so had to sell it and got the KX one
4. Cut and rewelded engine mounts and muffler mounts so I can use standard KX 125 rubber muffler mounts. No issues with tank clearance and have had the front head stay mount milled off. Machined swing arm to fit. Cut and shut standard 125 head stay to fit.
5. Have a Boyseen rad valve and have a aluminum ring made and loctited to the carb to use the standard 125 air box boot
6. 08 KXF450 radiator shrouds with slight mods to radiator support brackets
7. Revalved rear shock with heavier spring
8. Replaced all bearings, chain, sprockets etc

Will post some pics shortly. This project is on another site. Has been a really straight forward job to date, apart from the muffler f@&k up no other issues. Total cost is 3K NZD so a bit over 2K USD. Max fun factor for a cheap outlay. :supz: :supz:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2003 Hybrid

Post by Julien D »

Sounds sweet! Pics are a must. Welcome to KDXRIDER, btw!

Jason
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

Sounds good to me too. I can't wait to see it.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Julien D wrote:Sounds sweet! Pics are a must. Welcome to KDXRIDER, btw!

Jason
Cheers for the welcome Jason - as I'm only new I figure I'm allowed one dumb question. Tried to post some pics of the build but can't figure out how to do and can't find any FAQ's on how to - please help
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I can't wait to get it together as I've had it to the motor, swing arm, pipe air box stage. Am just trying to decide on color and graphics. Don't want the advertisers dream of a energy drink sticker kit and am still trying to decide if I will leave a headlight and taillight on or go straight mx style :rolleyes: I have a starting point of standard silver frame and green top black bottom 450 radiator shrouds. Needed all new plastics when I bought it so have a blank canvas. Thinking of all green plastics with a black rear guard and close to standardize graphics :shock:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Easiest way to post pics is to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Upload the pics there, and then copy the image URL to your post here using the IMG button above the post window. We do have some features here for supporting members that will allow you to upload photo's to a gallery, which you can then link to or use pics from the gallery in your posts.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Please be sure to post a pic of your aluminum ring adapter for the carb. Thanks.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Tedh98 wrote:Please be sure to post a pic of your aluminum ring adapter for the carb. Thanks.
And some specs for it too. :supz:
Did I say riding?
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Test photo upload of frame
Last edited by Biggles on 03:45 am Dec 28 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Frame 1 Image
Frame 2 Image
Tank Clearance Image
Pipe 1 Image
Coil/Pipe Mount Image
Mock up Image
Last edited by Biggles on 02:42 am Dec 29 2012, edited 2 times in total.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Tedh98 wrote:Please be sure to post a pic of your aluminum ring adapter for the carb. Thanks.
The guys machined the rear lip off the carb, then machined a 1.5mm x 11mm aluminium ring - inside dia is 57.75mm (KDX - .25) and outside dia is 61mm (Std 125) with a .5mm lip at the rear like original one on the carb. The guys then heated the aluminium ring and placed over carb inlet hard up against front lip and cooled. Puposely made ring .25mm to small to seal tightly on carb. This way I get o use the std KDX carb and standard KX airboot and have no worries about air leaks or modifying the KX airbox. Say other methods including the KDX airboot/KX airbox and thought this was the best approach. Could be argued the extra ring could make more turbulence blah blah but don't think it will hinder my riding ability :kick:

Last edited by Biggles on 02:34 am Dec 29 2012, edited 2 times in total.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Julien D wrote:Easiest way to post pics is to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Upload the pics there, and then copy the image URL to your post here using the IMG button above the post window. We do have some features here for supporting members that will allow you to upload photo's to a gallery, which you can then link to or use pics from the gallery in your posts.
Tried this Jason but am getting the red cross with image, link seems to work but have I done this right????
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

2003 Hybrid

Post by kashola »

Can't see pics. Who made your carb adapter ring? Would they be willing to make more? Not a huge market, but potential to make some money there.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

kashola wrote:Can't see pics. Who made your carb adapter ring? Would they be willing to make more? Not a huge market, but potential to make some money there.
Just need to work on the photos, tried to upload as Jason told and they haven't worked :roll: The ring was a favor from the guys in the workshop. I will ask if they can run me a few more off.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Ha Hah - fixed the image links.
Last edited by Biggles on 02:41 am Dec 29 2012, edited 1 time in total.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2003 Hybrid

Post by kdxtreme »

I would take a ring if you got more for sure. Your going to love your bike. :supz:
Did I say riding?
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Biggles wrote:Ha Hah - fixed the image links.
Images fixed, slight change to plan. Am going to weld a side stand mount to the frame before paint. Have a friend with a KTM so will borrow his side stand and get one made so it tucks right up to the subframe out of the way. :wink:
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Hey Ted - how did the 04 RM 250 clutch cable go? Also which throttle cable did you go with KX Or DX? Cheers

PS photo of carb ring now up
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Biggles wrote:
Hey Ted - how did the 04 RM 250 clutch cable go? Also which throttle cable did you go with KX Or DX? Cheers

PS photo of carb ring now up
I just so happened to snap my clutch cable riding around the house today. The one on the bike was a KDX. I think length was the only issue with the KDX clutch cable, I guess I found a different way to route it to make it work. I don't remember why the RM didn't work.

I used the KX throttle.

Thanks for the pictures of the carb adapter.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Biggles wrote:

I did a ktm throttle cable with a domino 1/4 turn throttle for some super smooth action. :supz: Stock clutch cable though with a housing mod to work with the pro raptor lever had to shorten housing adjuster down by clutch arm works sweet.
Did I say riding?