2003 Hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 2003 Hybrid

Post by bufftester »

Although you may want to keep it for future use if you ever decide to put lights, or heated grips, or GPS charge plug, or...Doesn't hurt anything to keep it on, other than the hassle of finding a place for it all to live. On my Hybrid build I plan on also remaking the harness to clean things up and split the two circuits for ease of maintenance, but then we also do a bit of night riding so a tail marker lamp and headlamp are a necessity.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

We have progress. I haven't cut any wiring so if I need lights down the track it will be a quick install. Just waiting on some new bolts and the rad hoses to turn up and I can finish. A final nut/bolt/chain check etc and should be good to test ride. Photo with rad shroud but LH radiator and footpegs still to be fitted.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Only problem now is I'm thinking of another hybrid build :busted:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Lol, that's my problem now, haven't finished the current one and already planning for the next! Like the 2-tone shrouds on there, bike is looking sharp.
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kashola »

Bike looks great! Wondered how the 450 shrouds would look. Nice touch.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Yeah, those 450 shrouds look good. Did the tank bolts match up or did you need to make a bracket to get the tank bolts to match up?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

One other question - how did the '03 frame work with the '04 swingarm/linkage?

I bought a spare '03 frame when I was building my first '04 hybrid. The difference wasn't big, but at the time I didn't feel like taking a chance with it not working properly.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Tedh98 wrote:One other question - how did the '03 frame work with the '04 swingarm/linkage?

I bought a spare '03 frame when I was building my first '04 hybrid. The difference wasn't big, but at the time I didn't feel like taking a chance with it not working properly.
Mines all 03 as I picked a 03 125 with a stuffed motor. The shrouds - had to elongate the top tank mount hole a bit and then trim a little from the inside of the shroud. Made to small brackets for the bottom rad mount out of alu and had some nuts weld to the standard radiator support brackets. Will pop some pictures up soon. Pretty easy conversion, took about 3 hours all up :boogie:

Just picked up the last of the bolts for the engine and head stay (have replaced nearly all bolts with new ones) so i will attack that tonight. Now all I need is some coolant, gear box oil and two stroke oil and time to start the beast. :rock: Four weeks till first round of local mx, so me thinks some vets fun to give the bike a shake down :supz:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

That swingarm is from an '04+, that is why I was asking about mixing the two years.

The '03 used a different linkage arrangement that didn't go through the swingarm.

Thanks for the info on the shrouds, I'm wanting to do that to my bike.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Tedh98 wrote:That swingarm is from an '04+, that is why I was asking about mixing the two years.

The '03 used a different linkage arrangement that didn't go through the swingarm.

I though it was a strange question :roll: There's something weird going on then. The frame number indicates it was an early build for an 03 and the forks are bladder less (i am lead to beleive that the 04 had bladder forks) so i just assumed all was ok. When I bought it it had original plastics (all though they changed the colour in 05) and a black excel rear rim so not unless something has happened to the back end at some stage??? When we inspected the frame (I had our NDT guy to go over it after welding the mounts) there doesn't appear to be any issues with the material or welds. Maybe a case for the twilight zone :toimonster:

The shrouds we nearly as easy as the rest of the bike. I will post a step by step of how I fitted them up in the next day or two. Remember to get 06-08 450 shrouds as these are the most straight forward. I've seen others do the mod with later model or 250 shrouds and made adaptors for the tank etc. I put this in the to hard basket and went the easy route, plus I picked a NOS set up for $60NZD delivered. :drool:

PS - May have to check the frame number again :shh:
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I also think that's an '04+ swingarm. The '03 does not have the "black hole" near the front.

Here is one explanation why from dirt rider - The biggest change made to the bike for 2004, however, is the all-new UNI-TRAK rear suspension system. Unlike previous KX models in which the UNI-TRAK link was anchored to the frame, the link on the new system is anchored on the swingarm. This drastically reduces front-to-back movement of the Kayaba shock as the suspension is compressed. This is said to improve traction under acceleration. Mated to the new suspension linkage is a new Kayaba shock, while a new Kayaba 48mm inverted, semi-sealed cartridge is found up front.

What an awesome hybrid build regardless the year. Looks fantastic! :bravo:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Tedh98 wrote:That swingarm is from an '04+, that is why I was asking about mixing the two years.

Hey Ted and B737, you got me thinking so I ran the Vin number through Kawasaki's database and yes your on the money, its an 04 model. I just took it from a reply on another forum (and the owner who said it was a 03) that i had to look at a different sequence number and so thought it was an 03. I had been looking for nearly 2 years to find one minus motor and so didn't really matter at the time as long as it was the new shape.

The Kawasaki site goes by the 10th digit - go figure.....

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things, not to me but now its a 2004 Hybrid and at least I won't confuse those that know :lol: Still can't wait to ride it, will go and get oil, coolant etc tonight and hopefully fire it up this week :supz:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Too often it goes the other way and someone winds up with a bike older than what they thought it was.

Not too many differences between '03 and '04 +. You would have figured it out when it came time to get a part for the shock or maybe the linkage bearings.

A tip on the '04 swingarm. Those little plastic plugs don't always do such a great job of keeping water out. I had bought an '04 KX125 several years ago. When I went to take it all apart to clean & grease everything up, I got a bad surprise when I popped those plugs off. Water dripped out from behind them. Needless to say the nut was rusted onto the bolt in there and it was a total pain to get off.

Since that experience, I've been putting some waterproof grease around the plastic plug and then popping it in - kinda acting like a sealer. That has kept the water out so far.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2004 Hybrid - Finished

Post by Biggles »

Yah :lol: Had an hour or two spare last night and apart from the water pump guard we have finished (bar a test ride). Pretty stoked with the finished product and I must say this site has made the build easy as. :supz:

Now for the downer - no ride for at least a month, this weekends out, next weekend Speedway GP in Auckland etc but at least its finished :pop:

PS - yes the bars do need rolling back, haven't even sat on it yet :hmm:
Last edited by Biggles on 02:58 pm Mar 13 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Looks awesome. That is going to be tough not riding that for a month.
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

2003 Hybrid

Post by kashola »

VERY Nice!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2003 Hybrid

Post by Tedh98 »

What are you using for your pipe/silencer coupler? It doesn't look like the typical blue/black rubber piece.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Tedh98 wrote:What are you using for your pipe/silencer coupler? It doesn't look like the typical blue/black rubber piece.
Aluminum sleeve with a small step on the inside to extend the meeting point between the silencer and pipe. We then heated it, put in place and when it cooled we have a tight as fit. Muffler slides on and off just like the original design :hmm:

Little big larger than I would have liked but it certainly isn't going to break and was a lot easier than trying to weld an extension. My theme for the bike was to try and keep it close to factory or off the shelf parts as possible and although this strayed a little I avoided needing a rubber price and clamps :boogie:

Having access to the machine shop has been helpful and seeing the way this ended up the door has been opened to a AF Hybrid. Have already contemplated it - 09 or later 250f with a last of the 200 motors or if I can source the NOS parts a new motor. If I can source a 250f less motor for my hybrid plus cash my way it would make me contemplate the scenario. :please:
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Tedh98 wrote:Too often it goes the other way and someone winds up with a bike older than what they thought it was.

Not too many differences between '03 and '04 +. You would have figured it out when it came time to get a part for the shock or maybe the linkage bearings.

A tip on the '04 swingarm. Those little plastic plugs don't always do such a great job of keeping water out. I had bought an '04 KX125 several years ago. When I went to take it all apart to clean & grease everything up, I got a bad surprise when I popped those plugs off. Water dripped out from behind them. Needless to say the nut was rusted onto the bolt in there and it was a total pain to get off.

Since that experience, I've been putting some waterproof grease around the plastic plug and then popping it in - kinda acting like a sealer. That has kept the water out so far.
Thanks for the tip, pulled them out last night, added wp grease and put back in....
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

It goes :lol: 8 month project and three or four kicks and it fired up. Had first ride just up the road and apart from back brakes not working all good. Need to pull rear master cylinder down as am not getting any fluid from bleed nipple.

Bit concerned about the gearing, have a 48 rear and doesn't come on pipe like I would prefer. Was about to shorten chain but think I will wait for first ride in forest as I'm thinking maybe a 50 rear maybe the go. Any thoughts peoples????

Can't wait to get into forest this weekend - oh yeah :supz:
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2003 Hybrid

Post by kdxtreme »

I'm running a 49/13 combo on mine seems to work great I ride some pretty technical stuff around here.
Did I say riding?