2003 Hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

kdxtreme wrote:I'm running a 49/13 combo on mine seems to work great I ride some pretty technical stuff around here.
I've taken a punt and put 13/48 on but I'm on the heavier side so I think maybe a 13/50 :kick: Or I could just give up the pies and beer but what fun would that be :partyman:
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid - First Ride

Post by Biggles »

Finally, first ride on weekend - YAH!!! Excitement short lived as still no back brakes so need to get that fixed this week. Made for an interesting first few turns. Don't know why I wasted my time with the new fangled four strokes as this thing was fun in the forest. Gearing is not an issue, feels light and tractors through almost anything. Did I say this was fun to ride, can't wait to get the brakes sorted and the kick start fixed and go for another blast. Don't need to think about another build (unless I can source a KXF frame at the right price) as for $2,500 all up this thing is a major fun factor whilst keeping the MoWaF happy :lol:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 2003 Hybrid

Post by bufftester »

I'm running stock 13/47 on my hybrid, and I'm 230lb (104Kg) in gear. Ride a lot of technical woods (roots/mud/rock gardens) and it tractors through all of it. Very occasionally I will grunt it way low where maybe a 13/50 would work better. As for the AF hybrid, I am still keeping an eye out for a late model KXF roller, and an air cooled KDX motor, that would be a cool ride
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Bufftester - nearly bought an 83 175 if my memory serves me right the other day as there is a few vintage enduro rides starting to happen, ah the old days of IT's, PE's and KDX's is coming back..... :drinkers:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Those were interesting days for sure. Rode a Honda MR175 before my first KDX, and a Suzuki TS185 before that...they don't make them like that anymore...bulletproof and cheap. Would love to see the looks at one of my local races if I showed up with an air cooled engine in a new gen frame...I can hear it now "Hey, you know you're radiators fell off?" :lol:
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

bufftester wrote:Those were interesting days for sure. Rode a Honda MR175 before my first KDX, and a Suzuki TS185 before that...they don't make them like that anymore...bulletproof and cheap. Would love to see the looks at one of my local races if I showed up with an air cooled engine in a new gen frame...I can hear it now "Hey, you know you're radiators fell off?" :lol:
Air cooled WR500 Yamaha motor in a new gen YZF frame??? Now that would be interesting and easy given the number of major fail gearboxes in tha latest Yamies :blink: MMmmmm
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I know this is an old thread, but I am still commenting on it lol. The bike turned out awesome! I love the look of those newer shrouds. I was thinking about buying a set and trying to make them work, now I see it is possible!

Bump to the top for future reference I suppose
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tyl3r wrote:I was thinking about buying a set and trying to make them work, now I see it is possible!
It isn't that bad, just several brackets. KXF shrouds on a KX

There is a very long thread on TT about the conversion with lots of pictures.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Tedh98 wrote:
Tyl3r wrote:I was thinking about buying a set and trying to make them work, now I see it is possible!
It isn't that bad, just several brackets. KXF shrouds on a KX

There is a very long thread on TT about the conversion with lots of pictures.
Nice, thanks for sharing! I like how you made some new aluminum bracketry. I hope you don't mind, but I plan to copy a lot of things off of you when I finally get my build started lol Its awesome how you do all of those write ups. If I ever saw you out someplace, I would certainly buy you a beer :supz:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Thanks, but I was just copying what others did with those KXF shrouds. I think my only original contribution was the elongated washers that fit the recess of two of the bolt mounting holes.