2003 Hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

kdxtreme wrote:
Biggles wrote:
Tedh98 wrote:Please be sure to post a pic of your aluminum ring adapter for the carb. Thanks.
Hey Ted - how did the 04 RM 250 clutch cable go? Also which throttle cable did you go with KX Or DX? Cheers

I did a ktm throttle cable with a domino 1/4 turn throttle for some super smooth action. :supz: Stock clutch cable though with a housing mod to work with the pro raptor lever had to shorten housing adjuster down by clutch arm works sweet.
Cheers for that. The throttle housing is in good condition so I think I'm going to use it. Seems like everyone uses the std clutch cable but re- routed. The local K dealer knows his stuff so I'm going to see him if I can get a longer but stock K cable.

Back to work tomorrow so will get onto mounts for skid plate and water pump guard. And make the water pump guard. Only the side stand mount then can get painted and together. Woo Hoo
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2003 Hybrid

Post by kdxtreme »

nice :supz:
Did I say riding?
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Not much happening lately, only a month till baby number two and time spent appeasing the Minister of War and Finance beforehand means the project has taken the back seat. On a positive, brackets made for water pump guard just need to be welded and need to make some tabs for the skid plate mount and have welded. Picked up forks yesterday and radiator hoses turned up in mail so all that is missing is new plastics. Looks like I can get the frame two packed through work a lot cheaper than powder coating (and faster turn around). Have time off when baby arrives and inlaws are here so might have to hide in the shed and piece back together :lol:

Quick question - what radiator hoses has everyone used. i ordered a set of KDX ones and look like they will do everything but just want to check..
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I think you end up using a combo of KX and KDX. The KDX doesn't have the lower crossover tube on the KX's. At least that is what I have found so far mocking up my build.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2003 Hybrid

Post by kdxtreme »

Yep a combo though I used a gasgas hose coming back down to the head on the clutch lever side of the bike it was a little longer so routing worked better for me.
Did I say riding?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I used KX hoses. I had to cut & splice one of them to rotate one of the bends in the hose to line things up.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Just been out to the workshop. Lugs for water pump and glide plate done. Am getting painted in two pack through a contractor at work for a beer payment :lol: Getting close to re-assembly time so i guess I need to choose a colour for the plastics. :bravo:
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Frame done, paint a little lighter than expected but for a beer payment can't complain. Tabs for glide plate and water pump guard turned out ok but the only hold up now is I have stuffed my knee at soccer last week and off to surgeon tomorrow for the diag :doh:

rmz480mx

2003 Hybrid

Post by rmz480mx »

Hi, I have a 2003 KDX 220 and I want to swap out jugs and cylinders to get a 250cc. Has anyone done this? Is the jug the same (I think it is) I am concerned about the stroke.. etc any inputs are greatly appreciated
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Finally we have a start Image
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

Quick update - front and rear end in. Need to do a quick repair to the airbox but not major. Bottom end in and just waiting on head to be finished. Started looking at wiring and seems a lot so thinking about making a harness so I can mount some of it in the standard KX locations and generally tidy it up. Plastics held up on the dock and should be here next week.

Hey Ted - may have to order some kx rad hoses - don't think I can get the ex ones to fit neatly.

Only other issue is the kdx throttle cable end is to wide to fit the KX throttle housing so need to attack with grinder :)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2003 Hybrid

Post by rbates9 »

Biggles wrote:
Only other issue is the kdx throttle cable end is to wide to fit the KX throttle housing so need to attack with grinder :)
Or you could just use the KDX throttle housing.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

rbates9 wrote:
Biggles wrote:
Or you could just use the KDX throttle housing.
The donor bike had a dodge throttle housing and the KX one I managed to keep is in good condition, just didn't factor the small difference so instead of buying a new housing I will just modify the cable :grin: Given how easy the build has been, only a minor hiccup.....
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

2003 Hybrid

Post by Biggles »

At last we have progress. Just wiring and a few bolts to go and time for a test run. Was pondering at the time if I should have painted the motor but was worried about it peeling with the pressure washers. After a few rides won't know the difference. :boogie:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Looking good. may want to think about routing your front brake line to the inside of the fork leg, minimize snagging opportunities.
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

bufftester wrote:Looking good. may want to think about routing your front brake line to the inside of the fork leg, minimize snagging opportunities.
Thanks for that, turning out better than I expected. Calipers just sitting there, waiting for a braided line to turn up in the mail :wink:
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2003 Hybrid

Post by kdxtreme »

looks nice.
Did I say riding?
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

Hey guys, quick question if I'm not running lights do I need the regulator?? Following the wiring diagram the y/blk wire goes from the Cdi to the reg and earths. The brown from the reg runs the lights so I don't see where I need it for no lights. Can someone tell me otherwise??
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

No you do not need the regulator unless you are running something electrical. The ignition uses a different coil in the stator and is on different circuit.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Biggles »

doctord23 wrote:No you do not need the regulator unless you are running something electrical. The ignition uses a different coil in the stator and is on different circuit.
Sweet thanks for that - makes the wiring a lot neater.