Mountian GOAT

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
JTSDAD

Mountian GOAT

Post by JTSDAD »

Well it does not look like any hybrids have been done here in a while so I will evntually build mine here. I am going to make some good pictures with it so you can watch along.
I want to use a 2003 KX250 and a 1991-1995 KDX250 engine. I like the 2003 and 2004 kx chassis and I think it will make a great combination. I have had a 2004 KX250 and I loved it but in tight single track mountian woods it was a hand full. I done a few mods to it but it just didnt make a fun ride in the tight stuff. I have had a 1994 KDX250 and loved it but I wanted something lighter and more ballanced. So I built two hybrids over time one using a 1997 KX250 chassis and a 1993 KDX250. It had KDX suspension and did okay but I wanted more so the second I built was with a 2002 KX250 roller and it was a great bike but I liked the ergo's of my 2004. I ended up buying a 2006 Honda CRF450X and over time sold all of the Kawi's off. Now I want another so I will build a better version than my previous one. If you made it this far reading I welcome you to follow along but it will take time to complete. I am going to start with a blank sheet and build it piece by piece.

To be continued....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Mountian GOAT

Post by Julien D »

Awesome, looking forward to your project!
Biggles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mountian GOAT

Post by Biggles »

Sweet, look forward to seeing this project. I started with a blank canvas and have built mine to suit me and my budget. I haven't seen to many 250's in Australia or NZ.
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

Well it has been some time since I updated this post. I now have a2003 KX250 frame and a 1992 KDX250 engine. I am still tracking down parts and fitting what I have bought. I will try to get some pictures on here. On a seperate note there is a member here that bought a special step drill that was 17mm to15mm from me on ebay a few years back. If anyone knows him can you send him my way. I would like to buy,borrow or rent the drill from him. I am not working in the shop where I had them made and so far can't find anyone to make a new one.
zz3gmc

Mountian GOAT

Post by zz3gmc »

How do the motor mounts line up? Are they close?
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

The mounts are a direct bolt in for the tabs that are welded to the frame.I am working on something for the top head stay.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am interested to see how your hybrid goes.

Thanks for mentioning that the frame mounts were in the same places. It is interesting to hear that for a newer than an "L" model.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
tlevta
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Mountian GOAT

Post by tlevta »

I'm in the middle of tearing down the motor on the '91 250 I just bought. While I'm doing that, I've been shopping eBay for a KX frame. Can I use the stock swingarm and shock/linkage?
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

tlevta, are you wanting to use the kdx swingarm and linkage on a kx frame? On the first hybrid that I done I used a 2000 kx250 frame with the front and rear kdx250 suspension. I used a 1994 kdx for the donor. on the front all I had to do was get a triple clamp from a 1995 kx250 since the fork tube diameters were the same. On the rear I made some bushings for the frame that adapted the 17mm frame hole to the 15mm kdx swingarm bolt. The rest of it bolted right in. That was the easy way to do it because you didn't have to machine the swingarm or the cases. I have a picture of it somewhere. I think that I still have a couple of sets of the bushings too,I think?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Mountian GOAT

Post by rbates9 »

I'm not sure what swing arm is wanted but I have a 2000 KX 250 swing arm and linkage if it is needed by someone. Just pay shipping.
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

Also on a update on the goat, As I said earlier the frame tabs line up perfect. I got my upper head stay brackets for the 2003 kx250 today so I can update my latest finding on my conversion. As you know the 2003-2004 were the last years of the old style motor and the first years of the frame. kawasaki changed the head stay from the front of the head to the rear. As you also know the kdx250 uses a head stay on the front. I have been trying to keep my project as much bolt in as possible and through my research I found that a head from a 1988-1989 kx250 will bolt on the kdx motor and it has a rear head stay along with a single coolant outlet simular to the kdx and later kx. I have my motor mocked up and the 1989 kx head on it. When I got the 2003 kx head stay today I tried it out and with minor slotting of one hole it will bolt right up. The hole that needs slotting only needs about 1/8" removed. So there you have it, if you want to use a 2003-2004 frame just get the 1988-1989 kx250 head and the motor is a bolt in using the factory mounts. Now I will have to tackle the swingarm mounts.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Mountian GOAT

Post by KDXGarage »

I had e-mails with a guy who did a conversion, using a 2001 KX259, I think it was. He mentioned the head brace having one hold elongated.

Are the 2003 - 2004 models using a different head stay system?
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

Yes the headstay on the 2003-2004 was moved to the rear of the head and the frame mount side of it offset to one side. Whom was the person that you were referring to? Was it cruel2bu?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, that was him.
tlevta
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tlevta »

JTSDAD wrote:tlevta, are you wanting to use the kdx swingarm and linkage on a kx frame?
Originally, yes. But since rbates9 has a KX swingarm, I'd like to use his. Today I bought a 2000 KX frame. That year is green sticker legal here in CA, so I went that route.

JTSDAD wrote:all I had to do was get a triple clamp from a 1995 kx250 since the fork tube diameters were the same.
So the stem lengths on the triple clamp are different? No big deal if they're 2 piece. I'll just switch them out with a press, right?

JTSDAD wrote:On the rear I made some bushings for the frame that adapted the 17mm frame hole to the 15mm kdx swingarm bolt. The rest of it bolted right in. That was the easy way to do it because you didn't have to machine the swingarm or the cases. I have a picture of it somewhere. I think that I still have a couple of sets of the bushings too,I think?
I'd be interested in those bushings if you can dig them up, please. A photo would be great as well.
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

Jason wrote:Yes, that was him.
That was me.And I think this was the bike that I had built when talking to you.
JTSDAD

Post by JTSDAD »

tlevta wrote:
JTSDAD wrote:tlevta, are you wanting to use the kdx swingarm and linkage on a kx frame?
Originally, yes. But since rbates9 has a KX swingarm, I'd like to use his. Today I bought a 2000 KX frame. That year is green sticker legal here in CA, so I went that route.

JTSDAD wrote:all I had to do was get a triple clamp from a 1995 kx250 since the fork tube diameters were the same.
So the stem lengths on the triple clamp are different? No big deal if they're 2 piece. I'll just switch them out with a press, right?

JTSDAD wrote:On the rear I made some bushings for the frame that adapted the 17mm frame hole to the 15mm kdx swingarm bolt. The rest of it bolted right in. That was the easy way to do it because you didn't have to machine the swingarm or the cases. I have a picture of it somewhere. I think that I still have a couple of sets of the bushings too,I think?
I'd be interested in those bushings if you can dig them up, please. A photo would be great as well.
I will see if I can find the spacers. The stem on the triple clamp is not the same but the clamp sizes are up to 97 I think.
Here is a pic of the one that I used the KDX suspension on.
tlevta
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tlevta »

Nice looking bike. I'd be glad to pay you for those spacers when you find them.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Mountian GOAT

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Hi there. It is good to hear from you again.
JTSDAD

Mountian GOAT

Post by JTSDAD »

Jason wrote:WOW! Hi there. It is good to hear from you again.
Yeah Man it's good to hear from you too. I have been taking it easy on the motorcycle thing since my son was born but now he is big enough to ride so I am going to build another hybrid for me. The CRF450X that I have had for the last 5 years just ain't fun like the two strokes.