hybrid harescrambler question

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I'm debating the hybrid kx/kdx, just wanted to know how much better the hybrid works as a harescrambler. I just got back into harescrambles this year on a 97 kdx 200. looking for some input from a harescrambles rider, as far as competitiveness compared to the pumpkin 200. Thanks in advance.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Well look at it this way. You already know how the kdx runs, now just toss a lighter chassis and better suspension into the picture. :pop:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Either one will be fine.

I did a CR250 hybrid and raced it for 3 years. Fine bike. I was a little faster on it than the original KDX but not light years faster. There is a point of diminishing returns

I bought an '08 200XC last year. After a lot of struggling with ergonomic and handling issues I finally got it to handle and turn well for me. I have not raced it yet but it would be fine.

The biggest difference I notice in the progression from OEM KDX to modified KDX to hybrid to the KTM 200 is that each ride required less physical exertion than the last. The KTM really lets me keep up the speed a lot longer. The seat tears my butt up.... :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I am a C rider and I have a stock 96 KDX with DRZ forks and HS it. At my level it is the right bike, but I am still tweaking the rear suspension. The tighter the trail is, the better the KDX works. At 230#, I could use more power on the steep hills, but it sticks like glue on side-hills and slick climbs compared to other bikes. I just ran a very slippery and rocky track at the GNCC at Morgantown WV on Sunday, and kept passing guys that slid off the track and were in the weeds. It takes much less effort to ride than my WR450, which has been collecting dust for some time. I don't know that a moto chassis would be that much better than what I have now. My next add on will be a steering stabilizer.

At a higher level you would want a stronger motor. I practice on a field track with my boy on a KX65, and he will walk away on the uphill turns. He can't beat me on the woods trail.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm a pretty slow senior rider, I may just refine the kdx a little more and keep trying to go faster.
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

I converted mine to a cr125 chassis.
Had it as well as my kdx220 back to back for a while. The CR conversion is hands down better for racing as is the kX conversion. I sold the 220 finally to make room for a larger bike for other purposes, still race my CR225 in harescrambles.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I race B class quite competitively on my hybrid. I picked up a lot of speed with the conversion. The 125 chassis just handles better than the KDX did for me.
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kashola »

canamfan Which series do you race? I typically run in the Forward Motion series, but have run a couple of the Hillbilly races.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: hybrid harescrambler question

Post by canamfan »

I ran forward motion this year. Went to 7 races i believe. # 1095 I ran two races last year warrensburg on my ASE camam then bought the kdx and ran chanute, i got overheated at chanute it was hot. I wanted to ride collins w/ the hillbillys this year but I got some sort of upper respitory crap that knocked me down for two weeks. I'm still kinda weak. I may try some of the hillbilly HS if the weather is not to bad.
rsr02
Supporting Member

Post by rsr02 »

forward motion here, wanted to race hill billy but never worked out
I haven't decided on if I'm running at collins yet, depends on how bad I get hurt doing the endurocross

my kdx is still stock as far as suspension, I've ridden ktm 200s and they were almost to responsive for me, kinda twitchy. Do the hybrids feel the same?
1997 220, KLX forks-pipe-reeds-trials tire
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Hybrids turn well and are stable at the same time I can pull my buddies gas gas300 in the woods everytime it just works that well.
Did I say riding?
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

mhsc and MORE here. 2nd overall in C class my first year on a hybrid. There is an older gentleman in MHSC who just walked away with the C senior with his stock dx. They are very capable. Maybe an A rider would need more?
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

I run Forward motion harescrambles vet c advanced when i can, and the occasional OCCRA race.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

If you ever make it to a MORE race look me up
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200