Hybrid Part 2

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
doctord23
Supporting Member

Hybrid Part 2

Post by doctord23 »

I put together my second hydrid this weekend.
I built my first one last year by building a 220 motor from pieces and gathered other pieces and parts and installed it all in a nice 2002 KX125.
I spent about a month putting it together and loved it when I was done.
This time, I bought a cherry 2000 KDX200 and a clean 2001 KX125.
It was much easier the second time knowing what I needed before I started.
Having a complete bike to pull parts from helped a lot. It was tough to part out a super clean KDX but I had to sacrifice it for the project.
I spent the better part of this weekend dismantling both bikes and installing the 200 in the 125 chassis. About 12 hours build time start to finish, including installing new rings.

Here are some before and after pics. I still have some polishing to do, but it survived the first ride.
I have been tracking the parts and expenses from both builds and will follow up with a breakdown in another post later.

2001 KX125 Starting Point

KX-KDX200 Hybrid

My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Hybrid Part 2

Post by chkdx »

Nice! Just thinkin' out loud here, but being that fast at building it, you could probably make some money building these things for people who don't want to do it themselves...............
doctord23
Supporting Member

Hybrid Part 2

Post by doctord23 »

chkdx wrote:Nice! Just thinkin' out loud here, but being that fast at building it, you could probably make some money building these things for people who don't want to do it themselves...............
Nice thought, but I have a day job and my hands are pretty beat up and sore today. The point is that it is easier the second time because you know what you are going to run into.
I may strip it back down and powder coat the frame, but the goal of the weekend was to get it fabricated and running.

As I promised, here is my parts list and costs (with shipping) for parts that I acquired to do the two builds.
I went with a few cosmetic upgrades on the first one, but liked the graphics that hybrid 2 already had.
The good news is that both hybrids interchange completely.
Some parts were bought new and others were used from ebay and a local part-out that I ran across.
I included some future costs on hybrid 2 that I will be adding in the future.
As for the parts I sold or will sell, I used 75% of what I think they will sell for to cover what ebay and paypal take. Your mileage may vary.
Hopefully, this will help others know what they need to do their own project.
The time consuming parts of the build are the mounts, pipe fitment, and gas tank mods because they are trial and error.

My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
factoryX

Hybrid Part 2

Post by factoryX »

You only ended up spending $760? :rock:
cowgoround

Hybrid Part 2

Post by cowgoround »

Did you need to do any welding to the frame in order for the conversion to work?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Hybrid Part 2

Post by Julien D »

cowgoround wrote:Did you need to do any welding to the frame in order for the conversion to work?
Yes, new motor mounts need to be welded in. See the stickies above for details, or search this forum. You will find loads of info.

And, welcome to KDXRider!
TrophyHunter
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hybrid Part 2

Post by TrophyHunter »

Very helpful of you to post up the list and final $$$. I've always had a hard time morphing bikes - especially if you start with a nice example on either of 'em. Nicely done.