2001 CR 125 swap {pics}

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
kawabunga

2001 CR 125 swap {pics}

Post by kawabunga »

Well here ya go. Since I've been boring the s##t outa everybody, by being the invisable man with no pictures, I decided to get with the program and learn how.
Since my prior go-round with the KDX 25 years ago was positive, I thought I could get lucky, and get by cheap. Wrong. There seems to be a rule in life that says you can get away with things when you are young and naive. But, you are supposed to learn when you get older.and when you don't, it's karma payback time. What I didn't do was follow some advice , written long ago by John Ruskin {1819-1900} about being unwise to spend too little, and not getting what you really wanted, or needed. Therfore by spending too much, Hopefully I'll get- blah,blah, blah.
Enter Brunhilda, A wore out too the max. 92' KDX. I got 20 minutes riImageding on her, before she grenaded.
She told me before I took her home-that she didn't need much, and would be happy to get a sprocket with teeth. What she needed ,was everything. The cost of everything, just didn't add up.
I was ready to throw in the towel when I found Susan on Craigslist.

Susan, a 2001 CR 125 {Roller ,with title,-$300} Is a slightly past-her-prime hardbody with nice legs, and a good figure. She made me agree, that I'd buy her new things, on a regular basis. Her old man tore her heart out for a shifter kart.
So, heres wheres I'm at.
The only issue I've yet to resolve, is the pipe. I've purchased an H200KDX unit to hack on. It is the gd@#n fugliest pipe I've ever seen.
Susans not happy. So somebody {Markus} get on the stick and help me figure something out. It looks like, an{E} pipe would also be good fodder,
since cutting and welding is necessary.
reviving old war-horse.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I wonder what you could do with a KTM200 pipe?

On another note, any clearance issues with the exhaust outlet or forward portion of the cylinder and the frame? How was the swingarm to mount? Cutting, reaming?

Looks good so far!
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

Heres my thoughts on the pipe thus far:
Have cut out the baffle and the header ring. This is what it looks like:Image
When I say this pipe is fugly, I'm talking more about ease of modification, rather than appearance. Kawasakis methods to facilitate mass production have created some odd cross-sections to cut and weld! Unfortunately, I'm a half-assed welder. That why my first attempt will be on this fugly thing.

A second option is this:
A KDX-E Pro-Circuit off of Brunhilda. By re-angling the header pipe it is possible to run this one low, late model style. It looks more amenable to
modification than the stocker. I'm not ready to butcher this one yet.

Cutting the swingarm:
I had 4mm removed from the left bushing, and 8mm from the right for chain alignment. Then 5mm miled off the right-side swingarm, and hand -filed a smaal amount off the left. 5mm, on the right, is just enough to align the chain, and retain enough room for the inside grease-seal on the swingarm.
Note: It is very important thet the inner bushing protrude from the inner side of the swingarm. If not, the swingarm will bind when tightened down.
I had a local,semi-retired machinist do this work for only $40, and its all square, and right on the gnats ass. He cut the bushings in a lathe, with a carbide cutter. They are very,very hard.
You probably noticed my clearancing on the swingarm. While mentioned before by others, I have done a couple extra things:
1st the grinding on the right front of the swingarm can be reduced by SLIGHTLY removing some case material at the cover joint and a screw boss.
2nd.ly- The inside -front corners of the swingarm need to be radiused to clear the cases. Do this in a few minutes with a file.
3rd.-I used a .004 feeler guage to check clearances while moing the installed swingarm up and down.
Lastly, While this took a good bit of time to do the first time, It is a fairly simple operation, and I would encourage anybody contemplating this swap to not be put-off by the swingarm cut.
reviving old war-horse.
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 2001 CR 125 swap {pics}

Post by marrk_us »

So, heres wheres I'm at.
The only issue I've yet to resolve, is the pipe. I've purchased an H200KDX unit to hack on. It is the gd@#n fugliest pipe I've ever seen.
Susans not happy. So somebody {Markus} get on the stick and help me figure something out. It looks like, an{E} pipe would also be good fodder,
since cutting and welding is necessary.[/quote]

Wish I could help ya. Been spending a lot of extra hours at work, and some others are taking vacation time in the next few weeks so I haven't been near the garage :mad:

I tried my modded e series pipe from my first build but as others have found out it interferes with the r/s radiator big time. Planning on ordering a new h series fmf and cutting it as necessary. Just a matter of having no time for playing right now. Looks like the klx will be seeing a lot of riding time the first month or so this year.
sea426

Post by sea426 »

I used a 2001 CR250 pipe on my 2001 CR125 hybrid. I cut the part of the KDX expansion pipe that goes into the motor and welded it to the CR pipe. My motor was a 1991 E series. Used the stock 125 frame exhaust mounts with KDX vibration mounts/isolators.