Weighed the hybrid today

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Weighed the hybrid today

Post by Tedh98 »

I've been meaning to do this for a while, my bike came in at 231 pounds. Gas tank empty, but tranny and radiators full. Handguards, skid plate and stainless rear rotor/caliper guards included.

When manufactures list dry weight, does that mean the bike is completely empty of all fluids - suspension, coolant, trans oil, gas?

Last edited by Tedh98 on 04:05 pm Feb 21 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Dry weight is everything BUT a tank of gas. That's how most bikes are weighed. If they were weighed tank full, manufacturers would "pad" the results by fitting smaller tanks.
'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That seems a bit on the heavy side too. A stock 220R is 223lbs, and that's with the heavy as hell stock pipes.
'00 KDX 220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Add skid plate, bark busters, oversize tank, frame guards... seems about right.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Has anyone weighed their KDX to compare to it to what is listed?

The definitions I've found of dry weight say that it excludes common fluids like gas, coolant, oil, etc.

The '04 KX125 is listed as 191 dry. The '04 KX250 is listed as 214 dry. My bike with the 200 engine has to be closer to the 250 than the 125. I think my 'extras' along with fluids has to be accounting for the difference.

Over the years I've read the statements that one of the advantages of the hybrid is the weight savings over the KDX. So today I was just curious what my bike really weighs.

It would be great if someone could weigh their KDX ready to ride - minus gas - just to see how the numbers turn out.
Terrence Sprocket

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

Is that an E series motor in there? Looks like a nice hybrid. But, why no headlight?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
Terrence Sprocket wrote:Is that an E series motor in there? Looks like a nice hybrid. But, why no headlight?
H series.

No desire to ride at night.
Terrence Sprocket

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

Ok, regardless, it looks nice. What year KX chassis?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Thanks.

See signature
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If I can find a scale I will weigh my H.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:If I can find a scale I will weigh my H.
Cool, thanks
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

OK, I just weighed my 2000 KDX 200.
No gas
KX forks
Acerbis hand guards
Aluminum rear rotor guard, caliper guard, frame guards (above the foot pegs), radiator braces, and skid plate.
FMF gnarly pipe and FMF silencer
Renthol bars
All stock plastic (with lights)
All fluids full (transmission, coolant)
Still has the factory kick stand
The bike is clean, no mud
Other than listed above the bike is pretty much OEM other than some power parts. (Vforce 3, RB carb)

I used the same ultra precise bathroom scale measuring technique :wink: and got a reading of 234 Lbs.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

It looks to me that the hybrid being lighter is more of a feeling than a fact. Not that that is not important, I have rode bikes that are heavier than mine but feel much lighter.

It would be nice to have some one weigh a "stock" KX 125 to see what they really weigh ready to ride minus gas. It seems kinda odd that a KDX engine plus the minor trinkets you have added would add up to 40 lbs.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:It would be nice to have some one weigh a "stock" KX 125 to see what they really weigh ready to ride minus gas. It seems kinda odd that a KDX engine plus the minor trinkets you have added would add up to 40 lbs.
I found that info in the below link. '04 and '05 were essentially the same. DR lists the ready to ride/no gas weight of 208 lbs. So if the dry weight and their weight are accurate, fluids are ~16 lbs.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocros ... index.html

You have to scroll down and look in a text box for that info.

Thanks again for weighing your bike so quickly. I agree with a heavier bike feeling lighter. COG has a lot to do with it.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

16 Lbs seems like a lot for 2 quarts of coolant and a quart of transmission oil. :wink:
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I'll do a weigh-in between my E series hybrid and an E series. And for giggles, I'll weigh the C series, too. But I'll do it in the spring because I have a few pounds worth of studs in my hybrid's tires. :)
David Eckel
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I think that where the weight is carried has more to do with it than the actual weight. With my hybrid the weight is carried much lower in the chassis. That makes it easier to throw around in the tighter woods.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:16 Lbs seems like a lot for 2 quarts of coolant and a quart of transmission oil. :wink:
Those liquids must have a high lead content. :grin:

I'm thinking those manufacturers specs are just a little understated.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:I think that where the weight is carried has more to do with it than the actual weight. With my hybrid the weight is carried much lower in the chassis. That makes it easier to throw around in the tighter woods.
I agree.

It would be nice to get the weights of a few more hybrids and KDXs for comparison, but I'm thinking that actual significant weight reductions isn't a reason for doing a hybrid.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:I think that where the weight is carried has more to do with it than the actual weight. With my hybrid the weight is carried much lower in the chassis. That makes it easier to throw around in the tighter woods.
I agree.

It would be nice to get the weights of a few more hybrids and KDXs for comparison, but I'm thinking that actual significant weight reductions isn't a reason for doing a hybrid.
For me it has been all about handling. My KX chassis handles so much better that the KDX did. the KDX seemed very top heavy and tippy.

I will try to weigh mine. I have a lot of armor on mine so the weight is prob pretty high by comparison.