Hybrid.....# 2 Pic's

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
THill

Hybrid.....# 2 Pic's

Post by THill »

[imImageg][imImageg][/img]

FINALLY, got it kinda figured out how to move some pic's around and post them...So here it is..will post more later....
03 KX 125 frame
04 KX suspension
02 KDX 220 motor, pretty much stock
02 KX 125 rear swing arm
18" KDX rear wheel, brake pedal & calipers
Clarke desert gas tank
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Looks great! How does it ride?

Those kick stands are awesome. Is that one made for a KX or did you make it fit?
THill

Post by THill »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:Looks great! How does it ride?

Those kick stands are awesome. Is that one made for a KX or did you make it fit?
So far it rides great , Got Factory Connection springs on both ends just a little lighter than stock.....Kick stand is a Pro Billitt for a KX...needs about a 1/2 inch removed from it , it's a little to long.....
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
THill

Post by THill »

[imImageg] I used a longer bolt threw my fender to mount the igniter & regulator..only cutting of wires was to the rear light plugin[imgImage][/imImageg][imImageg][/imImageg][imImageg][/img]
In this pic look at the brake lever,it's a KDX, not a KX..I cut the brake mounting bracket off the frame and made one like on a KDX out of thicker metal and welded it on in it's place..now I got a folding brake to go along with the folding shifter like a KDX.........Also the foot pegs are KDX IMS models, just used a spacer and longer pins to make them work.....
Last edited by THill on 05:39 pm Jan 09 2012, edited 3 times in total.
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

My PMB for about a year now. Definitely now worries about it dropping down while riding or jumping.

I had to cut mine down some as well. I figured that was because it was meant for a YZ250. I've been too lazy to take it to the machine shop to get the foot welded back on.

It is impressive that you were able to mix all those different years of the rear suspension and get them to work.
THill

Post by THill »

I seen some postings people made saying the suspension couldn't be mixed and matched .( a 99 to 02 swingarm wouldn't work on a 03 frame )..
Well I had a couple swingarms,a 125 and 250 from 99 to 02 and compared them to a 03..Measuring from the pivot bolt to the lower link attactment , I could not find any difference, put them side by side and they looked and measured the same ,the only difference and the reason I used the 02 was because it had the smaller rear axle hole which is the same as a KDX...
NOTE.....Some of the 99/02 KX 250 swingarms are a little longer than the 125's...I got one right now I could mount and make my wheel base longer if I wanted to....

The rear wheel hub & brake caliper are KDX, backing plate, disc guard, axle are 02 KX ...One reason for trying this setup is so people might be able to save some money and use there KDX rear wheel
Last edited by THill on 08:57 pm Jan 09 2012, edited 1 time in total.
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Very nice looking ride and I'm really digging the rims.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
SAPPER

Post by SAPPER »

really sweet but i liked your first build a 100 times better but im an mx rider and tht bike looked like it belong on an mx track lol but still a really sweet ride u got there
real men measure with inches not centimeters

kx125 mine
kx250 dads
kx65 sisters
lt-z250 moms
THill

Post by THill »

>|<>QBB<
SAPPER wrote:really sweet but i liked your first build a 100 times better but im an mx rider and tht bike looked like it belong on an mx track lol but still a really sweet ride u got there
Thanks Sapper, I thought about my # 1 being more mx based and kinda took that in mind when I built this one...
I have older KX rear fender set aside just for maybe a day at a track. The rear light and the regulator just unplug inside the air box and come right off with the fender....
4 bolts up front and the head light comes off and a plate can go right on..
I also have a 02 KX 19" rear wheel that i could throw on plus I still have a stock 03 KX gas tank that came with the frame...So in about 30 minutes or so I could turn it into more of a mx base bike if needed......
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Hey THill.... CONGRATS on quality build and a KILLER bike.

I bet that dood is a blast to ride in the woods.

If you're ever too busy to take the bike out for a ride, I'mm be HAPPY to babysit :cool:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

that's the best looking bike that's had its pic posted to this site.... Well, next to mine of course!
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
THill

Post by THill »

Max, TY very much , It may look nice now but wait till I get over this surgery I had last week, it won't look that good.......

Ihatefalling......You got a good running KDX, find a 03 + KX and i'll help you build one......We need to hook up with John and his wife and ride one day..
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Very, Very, Very NICE.
Frysk

Post by Frysk »

Damn, havin' trouble keepin my hand away from my pants :rolleyes:

Looks great! Think it rides real light also ?
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

THill, looks AWESOME and I know first hand you build an awesome hybrid. We definately need to get together for a ride soon.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Bad to the bone!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SAPPER

Post by SAPPER »

>|<>QBB<
THill wrote:>|<>QBB<
SAPPER wrote:really sweet but i liked your first build a 100 times better but im an mx rider and tht bike looked like it belong on an mx track lol but still a really sweet ride u got there
Thanks Sapper, I thought about my # 1 being more mx based and kinda took that in mind when I built this one...
I have older KX rear fender set aside just for maybe a day at a track. The rear light and the regulator just unplug inside the air box and come right off with the fender....
4 bolts up front and the head light comes off and a plate can go right on..
I also have a 02 KX 19" rear wheel that i could throw on plus I still have a stock 03 KX gas tank that came with the frame...So in about 30 minutes or so I could turn it into more of a mx base bike if needed......
sounds like you got the best of both worlds haha get a vid in the woods then go out to a track and rock it :supz: lol love the ride tho :mrgreen:
real men measure with inches not centimeters

kx125 mine
kx250 dads
kx65 sisters
lt-z250 moms
hlewis
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by hlewis »

First of all the bike looks amazing. Where are you in M. Tenn? I would love to check it out sometime. Ever come east and ride at Windrock?
99 KDX200
94 KDX250 - Sold 12-17-11
86 XR200
THill

Post by THill »

>|<>QBB<
hlewis wrote:First of all the bike looks amazing. Where are you in M. Tenn? I would love to check it out sometime. Ever come east and ride at Windrock?
Yes I have been to Windrock several times but only on a atv, never had a bike on that mountain....
Im about a hour out of Nashville and 2 from Knoxville....
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
hlewis
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by hlewis »

Cool man. If you ever get this way with the bike give me a shout because I would love to check it out. I've been toying with the idea ever since I heard of the conversion and I'm partially there as I just bought my first 200 and have it completely torn down for a rebuild. I thought right now if I could find the right donor bike that this would be the time to go ahead with the conversion.

I'm actually from and work in Harriman but currently live in Knoxville.
99 KDX200
94 KDX250 - Sold 12-17-11
86 XR200