KDX250af

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX250af

Post by SS109 »

Yes, you read that right! I may be on my way to doing a KDX250af conversion. I'm going to check out a clear titled '06 KX250f roller this weekend. Possibly working out a trade for one of my toys that go bang. I should know by Sunday night. I wouldn't start work on it for a while as I still have my '90 to finish up but I would start as soon as it is done.

I figure this would be a major upgrade from the '94 chassis in many ways...

204 lbs vs 236 lbs dry
226 lbs (234 with the same amount of fuel as KDX) vs 273 lbs wet
Showa suspension front (47mm) and rear with hi/low speed dampening
Better ergos
Uber cool, trick, latest rage, nothing better than, aluminum perimeter frame (I threw that last one in there for you juliend! :mrgreen: )

I figure losing roughly 30-40 lbs should make for better acceleration, handling. braking, and overall less fatigue from a days riding. Plus, I love the cool aluminum frame and I haven't ever of anyone doing an AF conversion for the 250. :boogie:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol, thanks for puttin that bit in there.

Seriously, I've been dying for someone to do this. I'm figuring this sort of swap is going to become more common too, as so many of these blown up 250f's would cost way more than they're worth to fix.

Pics as soon as possible, please :)
chopper

Post by chopper »

Most difficult task on this conversion will be raising the Y at the downtube/ cradle junction. This is a problem that the CR500AF builders encounter when converting a CRF 4T frame or also a CR250 2T frame because of the exhaust port location.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:lol, thanks for puttin that bit in there.

Seriously, I've been dying for someone to do this. I'm figuring this sort of swap is going to become more common too, as so many of these blown up 250f's would cost way more than they're worth to fix.

Pics as soon as possible, please :)
Yeah, I thought you would like that! If I get it I'll post up a pic. BTW, I didn't care if I found a KX250 or a KX250F roller. This just happens to be the one guy willing to do a trade.

>|<>QBB<
chopper wrote:Most difficult task on this conversion will be raising the Y at the downtube/ cradle junction. This is a problem that the CR500AF builders encounter when converting a CRF 4T frame or also a CR250 2T frame because of the exhaust port location.
I'm aware of it. Just some cutting and TIG welding to get the engine in there. I have a great local radiator shop that can do the radiator mods I need. It really isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be.
'11 GasGas EC250R
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

It's all just cutting and welding.

I have wondered about the need to heat treat following welding. On a bicycle frame it MUST be heat treated or the frame will fail at the area around the weld. No one ever mentions this when dealing with Moto frames. I assume it is a different grade of aluminum?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm thinking with the jug being smaller on the 250 than the 500, perhaps you won't have a problem with the downtube? Not sure, but it would be cool to find out!
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I think heat treating is still necessary with these AF conversions. At least I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

NOT and expert, though.
David Eckel
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Sounds cool. Looking forward to the build :)
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
chopper

Post by chopper »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I'm thinking with the jug being smaller on the 250 than the 500, perhaps you won't have a problem with the downtube? Not sure, but it would be cool to find out!
On most 4 stroke frames the Y is located very low, near the bottom of the cylinder. I'm certain that is the design of the KXF frame and relocation of the Y will be necessary.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
chopper wrote:>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I'm thinking with the jug being smaller on the 250 than the 500, perhaps you won't have a problem with the downtube? Not sure, but it would be cool to find out!
On most 4 stroke frames the Y is located very low, near the bottom of the cylinder. I'm certain that is the design of the KXF frame and relocation of the Y will be necessary.
Yes, cutting and relocating the Y portion of the frame will still be necessary. As far as heat treating goes, the guys over at KXrider.com seem to think it is not necessary. Most of them are doing KX500 conversions and riding everything from desert to MX with no problems. So, I won't be heat treating it if I do this project.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ugh. That sucks. Guess it'll still be worth it :).
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Hope you get it! Take lots of pics and post often if you do. It was always a shame Kawasaki put such a nice engine with a wide ratio trans in such a heavy lump of a steel frame. (Hi Juliend) Remember reading this a while back http://twostrokemotocross.com/wp-conten ... -Build.pdf. If you get the roller maybe this will give you some ideas.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, I made the deal! :supz: Looks like it is going to be one fun conversion. I'll try to post up a pic later today.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
marrk_us wrote:Hope you get it! Take lots of pics and post often if you do. It was always a shame Kawasaki put such a nice engine with a wide ratio trans in such a heavy lump of a steel frame. (Hi Juliend) Remember reading this a while back http://twostrokemotocross.com/wp-conten ... -Build.pdf. If you get the roller maybe this will give you some ideas.
:bravo:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Here is a crappy cell phone pic. I'll start disassembling and cleaning everything soon.

'11 GasGas EC250R
SAPPER

Post by SAPPER »

whoo first ever kxf/kdx hybrid here we go boys! :partyman: :supz:
real men measure with inches not centimeters

kx125 mine
kx250 dads
kx65 sisters
lt-z250 moms
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm already planning for how it will be built and for how it will look.

The engine will get a new FMF pipe and silencer (beat up PC currently). New pistons/rings and maybe a re-plate if needed. Probably have RB cut the carb slide from a #5 to a #6. That is all I have planned for the engine.

Looks wise I'm already trying to pic between the current black/green Kaw look or to do a modernized version of '90 white/blue KDX200. Yeah, I know, I have a thing for that look! :mrgreen: So, what do you guys think, green/black or white/blue/black?
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I love the white and blue look.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Green / black!

I'm gonna be down in Marana over the holidays, (Dec 22-Jan 2) we should meet up for a beer!
'00 KDX 220R