winter project - hybrid #2 2003 cr125/E-series

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

winter project - hybrid #2 2003 cr125/E-series

Post by marrk_us »

Ok, I finally had time to get back in the garage and start putting on the Decal Works graphics that we worked out for the bike. The guys there emailed and called me a couple of times to make absolutely sure we were on the same page and they came up with a couple of tweeks on the design. I can't tell everyone how easy they are to work with and how helpful they were.

But first I went through my pics of the pipe build since there were some questions on it. I used my E-series engine because I really like the earlier engines. I think if i'd used the later engine the pipe wouldn't have needed so many cuts, but it really wasn't that bad. I used mostly an E-series FMF pipe, the end of a cr125 pipe to connect to the silencer, and I bought a u shaped piece from a exhaust shop and cut the angles from it to connect the front half to the cr125 end piece. Here are the pics from front to rear.
I added about 2 1/2" from a kdx pipe to the end to be able to reach the cylinder
I cut the pipe here at the factory weld, rotated it to clear under the right side radiator.
Cut the mount off the kdx pipe and relocated it to mount to the CR frame mount
Made another cut, again at the factory weld and rotated to clear the kips and point to where it needed to go inside the frame.
2 pieces cut more or less like this from the u shaped pipe to angle toward the silencer.
And the last 2 pieces to go inside the frame to connect to the front section of the pipe. The last piece is from the FMF pipe, cut so the kdx mount tab will line up with the CR mount. And that's it easy peasy right?
And finally...maybe a little drum roll..the (almost completed) graphics. I still have 2 pieces on the side of the rear fender and the fork guards to put on, but after spending most the day installing the graphics I'd reached the end of my patience and thought it'd be better to quit for the day then risk messing up any of the one-off pieces because I was getting tired. The last piece I did was the head light shell, you can't see it but it curves top to bottom AND from the center out,causing all 4 corners to want to ripple and overlap. More than once I thought I'd never get all the bubbles out and almost tossed the piece but a lot of work with the heat gun and I finally got it on with no bubbles, whew! So here she is

Th-th-th-tha-tha-tha-that's all, folks! :lol:

Again Decal Works are great to deal with http://www.decalmx.com
Last edited by marrk_us on 07:55 am Jul 11 2014, edited 3 times in total.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Re: winter project - hybrid #2 2003 cr125/E-series

Post by ICRage42 »

wow that turned out great man congrats!
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
DesertRat!

Post by DesertRat! »

Bravo Sir! outstanding.
elusive
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by elusive »

Awesome!
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

A right side view with the radiator shroud off would be a very good thing.
reviving old war-horse.