1996 kx125?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'd keep your pristine e-bike that way. Keep your eye out for a super low-buck motor...Maybe a $300 air cooled KDXer.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Might do that. What I may do also is go ahead with the hybrid, and keep all my E series bits (except the yz front). Ride the hybrid a while, keeping my eye out for another KDX motor to put in the hybrid, at which point I can get the 89 back up. Eh... I dunno.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

wait and see, maybe an engine will fall in your lap.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I had a running '95 I took the forks off and put on my '03 220. I put the KDX forks on the KX and used it for a buddy bike. I think the '95 KX frame would have made a good hybrid, just not the one I had. It was pretty ragged out.

I'd get the chassis now and wait for a motor or preferably a donor motor still in a bike. No need to mess up your current bike.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think I can swap the motor over without messing anything up. It's all speculation until I see what kinda shape this thing is in anyway...
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Still have to drill cases. No going back after that. Can't imagine why you would but if you wanted to...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

ah, true that....

One question I have on the hybrid, seems most people weld an extension into the head tube of the pipe. I once ran a torque ring, that's what.. 10mm? It really seemed to kill the top end on the bike. Wouldn't this extension to the head tube have a pretty dramatic effect?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Yeah it does but the new found torque is not a bad thing at all. U may have to re adjust your riding style a bit and lug it more
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Pick it up yet?
Fletch
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Tomorrow morning :)

Leaving early to go pick that thing up, then hitting some single track with my neighbor and another buddy tomorrow afternoon.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

At first glance, I figured I managed to pick up the biggest POS in all the land. After a little closer inspection, not quite so bad. All the bearings seem good. No play in the swingarm, linkage, or wheel bearings. Steering head bearings appear to be smooth. Everything will get torn down and inspected. As you can see in the 2nd pic, the cases are scrap. Cylinder is re-platable, and the head is ok. Had an FMF pipe and silencer on it that I should be able to sell. Not bad for free, I reckon. Forks need a rebuild, and the shock definitely will also. It's all spring, no damping. Probably start tearing it apart during the week...

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Hey that's ok! Good score.
Fletch
kawie

Post by kawie »

good score,cant beat free.
kawie
2004 kx125
2001 kdx220
2000 kx250
1996 kx250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm pretty happy with it, overall. I have never rebuilt a shock before, so I'm debating on whether to attempt it myself, or send it off. The fork rebuild will be no issue, I've done enough of them now to be perfectly comfortable changing out the seals and bushings. Will know more when I start taking it apart. :mrgreen:

So in my googling, I have found several builds using 94-98 kx125's. However, I have yet to find a picture showing how the swingarm was cut. It appears to differ from the later models, in that the inside portion of the swingarm where it mounts to the KX cases are not equal in size. The RH size is almost flush, there's not much that could be cut from there...

Dunno if anyone here has experience with the 94-98 swingarm, but if you do, please chime in! I will get some pics of it later. I figure I'll just have to line up the kdx engine in there and see which way it needs to go....
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Looks like a great start.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There's an image of the swingarm type I am dealing with. The photo is a 94, but you see what I mean. Different dimensions on the inner portion of the swingarm mount.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

well the pics I've seen of the later models the machining goes down to about where the rh side is now. Is it just the kx engine case that determined that offset casting on the swingarm?
Fletch
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I suppose so. That's what the swingarm on my KX looks like though.

Oh, and the position of the shock, as well. Not much clearance round the rear shock in one way or the other...
Last edited by Julien D on 06:26 pm Sep 26 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Just checked the VIN, actually a 1994. I suppose it doesn't matter, seems most bits are the same from 94 - 98...

Looks like the swingarm wouldn't actually be that bad. Rough measurements, maybe about 2 or 3mm out of the chain side of the swingarm in order to keep the sprockets lined up. Seems there's enough meat there to get that easily. The rest, maybe 12 or 14mm, would have to come from the brake side, and it looks like there is enough there as well. Just rough measurements using a tape and an eyeball while the bikes are still together.

Still undecided as to what will happen to the 125. Checking into shock rebuild and fork rebuild pieces first. I have this spare set of cases that need a bit of repair. Perhaps I could piece an H/E hybrid motor together for the kx/kdx hybrid, lol.....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

shocks are not that much harder to rebuild than the forks. The only thing I couldn't do myself was the N2 refill, but any good shop should have that on hand for pretty cheap.
There was a tutorial for shock rebuild somewhere on the site I think.
good luck.

The KX doesn't look in bad shape at all :supz: