Best Hybrid---KX125 or Cr125 ???

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

KarlP: YIKES....it's been relegated to tractor duties!! Guess that reflects the fondness you have for the KTM, eh?

I wish I had started with a chassis with fewer hours on it, that is all. The bike was excellent and every bit as fast as the KTM, for sure.
The hybris chassis is just shot. 12 years of banging through the underbrush, every thing from spoke nipple holes in the rims to the bearing pockets in the linkage is just worn out. I took a ride on a buddies new GG 300 and realized I needed a newer bike. Mine just rattles and clanks. The shrouds wore a hole through the frame near the tank.......

the hybrid motor is still fine and using it for trail maintenance is not wearing it out.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

For me it came down to my physical size and what was available.
The honda cr125s are a little bigger ergonomicaly then the newer KX's.
I am 6'3" and 200lbs so the cr was my choice.

The 04 and newer kx's handle a little better i think.

Both builds require some basic ability to build and some special tools.

With The CR you really only need to have the front motor mount done and of course weld aluminium.
With the KX's you have to cut and weld in both motor mounts and cut the swingarm. however you are welding steel which is easier to come by.
The rest of the conversion is a straight trade with and edge to the KX in terms of using the pipe and radiators.
Both projects require you ream out the swing arm bolt in the cases to 17mm.

Is it worth the effort.
Yes, if you allready have a kdx and you can get a complete rolling KX or CR chassis cheap then it is for sure worth the effort. The motor chassis really inspire more confidence at speed.
If you just plan on trailing and enduros, then a fork update and some RB designs engine mods to your KDX is probably all you really need.
I just swapped out my RB designs 220 motor for an ERIC gorr 225 ported motor and my cr hybrid is now everything i hoped for. I am at the point in my life where working on the bike is as rewarding as riding. seems its easier to go to the gearge and tinker then it is to find time to ride these days. :(
hope this helps!
GS

Post by GS »

I'm going to keep searching for the right roller......and see what comes up.

I sure appreciate the thoughts from everyone, many concerns/questions were answered :wink:
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Quote-"First, there must be so much aluminum used in an aluminum frame to provide equivalent strength to a steel version, that the frame becomes very large, and the mythical weight saving is not realized. Most ally frames are actually heavier than their steel counterparts."

2005 kx125 frame,swingarm with bearings, and swingarm bolt = 38lb.
2003 cr125 frame, swingarm with bearings, and swingarm bolt = 30.8 lb.

Don't have a kx125 subframe on hand so weighed both minus the subframes.

Having said that I picked the cr125 for my next build because the 125 reviews I've read from 02-05 said the honda had the best handling, suspension, and was better suited to taller riders. And oh, the frame looks cool :mrgreen:

Really can't go wrong with either pick.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think comparing the kx and the cr frames directly is not really relevant to discussing the weight savings advantage (disadvantage) of going to ally frames. Too many other factors in play. The overall design of the bike is quite different.

For example:

1997 CR125, the last steel frame. Advertised dry weight 192.4
1998 CR125, first ally frame. Advertised dry weight 192.5

Not much difference, eh? The steel framed bike is actually a hair lighter. The reason the japs made the switch to ally was due to a shortage in quality steel, more than any "advancement". Of course we know they are experts at marketing. They can say it's the latest and greatest, and a "must have", and people will eat it up. See the 4 stroke "revolution" for evidence...

Just IMO and all that, of course...
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I think comparing the kx and the cr frames directly is not really relevant to discussing the weight savings advantage (disadvantage) of going to ally frames. Too many other factors in play. The overall design of the bike is quite different.

For example:

1997 CR125, the last steel frame. Advertised dry weight 192.4
1998 CR125, first ally frame. Advertised dry weight 192.5

Not much difference, eh? The steel framed bike is actually a hair lighter. The reason the japs made the switch to ally was due to a shortage in quality steel, more than any "advancement". Of course we know they are experts at marketing. They can say it's the latest and greatest, and a "must have", and people will eat it up. See the 4 stroke "revolution" for evidence...

Just IMO and all that, of course...
During that time, AMA rules for minimum weights for 2 strokes remained basically unchanged, so the weights of the bikes didn't change. Part of the reason for a minimum weight requirement is to keep things competitive for all makers. It helps keep all makers involved at top level racing, and protects smaller companies (like Kawasaki) from getting into technology (spending) wars with the bigger companies (Honda and Yamaha) to compete. If it weren't for the weight requirements Honda and Yamaha could easily force the smaller companies out. Look at MotoGP, its strictly a Honda/Yamaha show, Kawasaki forced out a couple of years ago and Suzuki is barely hanging in there. Honda and Yamaha are still at an advantage though. AMA rules require stock frames and swingarms be used, so they concentrate on making lighter frames and swingarms and moving more of the bikes total weight lower and more central on the bike. In theory making a more flickable/better handling bike. They're spending tons of CAD/CAM money on bike design. And bikes are getting better handling all the time. Probably the biggest reason for the birth of hybrids in the first place. A KDX engine in a modern, better handling, (and yes) "lighter" frame. Going on dry weights alone can be very misleading......IMHO of course :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yep yep. As far as i know, 194lbs is still the minimum for a 2 stroke running in the 250 class, right?

So again, how is the supposed "weight savings" from an aluminum frame any sort of benefit? pure marketing.

I'm not scoffing at the ally frame, many people love them. There are some benefits there. I'm just pointing out that weight savings is not one of them. The steel frame can be made just as light if not lighter. Have a peek at a KTM, lately?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Yes, KTM has had some of the lightest bikes around, but unfortunately no longer. The move to EFI and linkage has porked them right up.

KTM's PDS saved a LOT of weight. Linkage added 8 (?) pounds. I may be wrong on the exact number of pounds--might be 4. Can't remember.
David Eckel
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Just checked--linkage added 5 pounds to the 250 SX (two stroke) due to the arms, bearings, gussets on the frame and swingarm, longer shock, and beefed up upper shock mount.
David Eckel
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Yep yep. As far as i know, 194lbs is still the minimum for a 2 stroke running in the 250 class, right?

So again, how is the supposed "weight savings" from an aluminum frame any sort of benefit? pure marketing.

I'm not scoffing at the ally frame, many people love them. There are some benefits there. I'm just pointing out that weight savings is not one of them. The steel frame can be made just as light if not lighter. Have a peek at a KTM, lately?
I have seen KTM's, very nice bikes, and very light. Steel frames? Yes. But why an alloy subframe? If as you claim , they could make one just as light, cheaper and just as strong from steel? Hmmm? Steel shortage in Austria? Not that i'm aware of. Because they can't make it as strong and just as light from steel? No way you say? So it must be more marketing hype, right?

How about this? A small part of an article, but the concept has been around and evolving for years.--mass centralization

A motorcycle in motion moves in roll, yaw and pitch. Bank into a corner and the bike rolls around a roughly horizontal axis oriented from front to rear. In the corner the bike yaws, rotating left or right around a vertical axis. As the bike accelerates or decelerates there's movement in pitch around a horizontal, lateral axis. Pitch doesn't directly affect the direction of travel, but it's got to be controlled-think of the downsides of an uncontrolled wheelie.

The closer the weight is concentrated around these axes, the easier it is to rotate the motorcycle around them. In a counter-example, a man walking a high wire between two skyscrapers doesn't want to rotate around his roll axis-he doesn't want to lean too far left or right. To help slow his rotation, he carries a horizontal pole that provides a mass (on each side) that's relatively distant from his roll axis. The pole makes it easier for him to balance because it makes it harder for him to rotate around his roll axis.

As we move the mass of the motorcycle along these axes, we are moving toward the center of mass in each direction. CAD makes it relatively easy for designers to know the effect of their efforts at mass centralization, as the weight and weight distribution of each part and each assembly can be calculated by the computer.

Single-shock rear suspensions, with the damper mounted just aft of the swingarm pivot, have been an important element in mass centralization. The old dual-shock suspensions not only had the dampers and springs mounted far to the rear, but the weight of those components was far from the motorcycle's centerline. Another significant improvement in mass centralization results from putting the fuel tank behind the airbox, moving a heavy object rearward and a light object forward. The vertical stacking of transmission shafts in new engine designs is an effective mass-centralizer, moving the crankshaft rearward relative to the transmission

Now, before this is dismissed as a "marketing ploy", witch craft, or hooey. Let's exaggerate to the extreme for just a moment to prove the point. Why don't the factories mount the engine on top of the front fender? It would be out in the airflow, thus eliminating the need for a cooling system and saving weight, maintaining it would be easier, good carb access and all, and they could even gain power through the ram air available! Makes sense so why don't they do it? Because the bike would handle like crap, thats why.

KTM saw eliminating the linkage as a way to save weight and it was. But they ran into the same problems that ATK (another small company) ran into with their linkless suspension, getting consistent, smooth suspension action. Luckily having to go back to a link type system won't hurt them that much because the extra weight will be very close to the bikes center of gravity. Again....mass centralization at work.

Now, can you or I feel the difference in the new hondasaki from last year because they shaved 110 grams from their handlebar weight and moved the engine 5mm rearward? Heck no. But you can bet your butt that they've tried it out on their computer programs and then tested it with a McGrath, Carmichael, or Stewart and found out it worked or they wouldn't have done it. It may take a few years to fine tune the ideas,and for sure it's not cheap, but once the bigger companies spend the huge development money and prove that their "marketing ploys" work, eventually the smaller companies either copy them (alloy subframes for example) or fade away.

My father in law, after riding a "new" 87 yamaha of mine complained that, "the front end is too light it doesn't stick to the ground like my old Bultaco did!" My reply? "Well old man get your fat arse off the seat, stand up and PUT some weight on the front, then it'll stick better then your old Bultaco!" :mrgreen: Again.......... mass centralization at work. Just saying. Time marches on and we can't stop it.

And Julliend don't take offense, i like jousting with you :supz:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I rarely take offense to much. I like these conversations :).

You have too many points there to respond to all at once, lol. The aluminum subframe? I think it's crap. I've seen 3 of them broken. Might be for weight savings, I dunno, but it's definitely a weak point on the katooms.

As for the linkless rear, I understand KTM did that more to eliminate the maintenance of linkagae bearings than a weight decrease? Dunno for sure, good point though.

For a flat out MX bike, the stiffer aluminum frame can be an advantage. In my experience, in riding woods and trails, the small amount of flex from a steel frame is actualy quite advantagous as well. All comes down to rider prefernece, it seems to me. I never liked the feel of the early CR ally frames, but then I haven't ridden a new one in quite some time, and I understand they have made them considerably less rigid than the early alluminum frames.

My preference for a frame is steel, solely judging from my limited experience. Keep in mind I have no interest in racing MX, those days are long behind me.