How's it feel?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

How's it feel?

Post by rbates9 »

I have been reading the hybrid post and I can see the reasoning but just don't get it. Will the KDX engine feel snappier in a 125 chassis? I personally don't like the feel of a MX chassis so I have been very hesitant to even look into it that deep. What has been the biggest improvement from the KDX frame?

I'm not looking for any BS. To each their own, I'm just trying to get a better idea of the reasoning. I would like to hear both sides if possible. Thanks
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

I have had my hybrid together now for six months, I have done two 60 mile desert harescrambles 3 enduros and four regular hare scrambles the last one on fathers day,it dumped, in my class only 7 finished out of 16,a lot of mud, so far the hybrid has done better in everthing tight woods, open desert, deep mud, or cornering the thing loves to carve the corners, moto track or tight woods, and the motor does seem more responsive whethere from lack of weight or the better ergos and handeling,all in all I am a lot faster and smother. One thing that I have not been able to do as well is get the holeshot at the races I have attended on my old bike I would get a better start just not quite getting the traction to the ground :supz:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Pros:

Lighter weight
Better ergos (for some)
More modern suspension components front and rear
Better suspension geometry front and rear

Cons:

Not a cheap swap if you can't do all the work yourself.
Uncomfortable modern ergos (for some)
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
THill

Post by THill »

To me....
PRO'S
Lighter weight, almost 20 pounds..( depending on what all mods you add or don't add ).....
Lower center of gavity...
Lower seat height..
One of the best motors ever in a light weight frame...

CON"S
Time and money if you can't do the work yourself...
Air box is alittle more prone to get water in it .....
Finding a good KX that you don't have to rebuild or replace everthing on it...

Honestly, if your happy with your KDX and it does everthing you want it to do I wouldn't do it..The KX/KDX combo is just a next step up of what some of us feel Kawasaki should have built in the KDX line..The options are pretty slim and VERY costly when looking at new 2 stroke mountain bike....
Last edited by THill on 04:52 pm Jul 04 2011, edited 1 time in total.
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Thanks for the real responses! Keep em coming!

I am looking for ways to get the most out of my KDX, But I'm not sure the KX swap could give me the easy ride back after a long day on the trail.

What is the most comfortable KX year? Not necessarily best handling but the "plushest"
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There's really nothing else to add. The KDX is a great bike, but remained completely unchanged other than BNG since 1995. If you want the same power in a modern chassis that's the only way to get it.

Any KX will be fine, there isn't really a "most comfortable". It's all in how you set up the suspension. For woods riding, the kx suspenders will need a revalve anyway. Just something else to think about. If you were shopping, I'd say look for the newest model you can afford to start with.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I briefly rode a kdx before building my hybrid. The biggest difference to me in comfort between the two was the seat (assuming you get the kx suspension set up for the woods). The kdx seat has a lot more padding! I do most of my riding standing up, so the low padding kx seat doesn't bother me.
sixstringsteve

Re: How's it feel?

Post by sixstringsteve »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I have been reading the hybrid post and I can see the reasoning but just don't get it. Will the KDX engine feel snappier in a 125 chassis?
Yes, definitely. My KDX engine is just a plain old KDX with a gnarly woods pipe. No RB mods (yet). And it is definitely snappier in the CR frame.

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote: I personally don't like the feel of a MX chassis so I have been very hesitant to even look into it that deep. What has been the biggest improvement from the KDX frame?
If you don't like the feel of an MX chassis, then it's not for you. If you just want a quicker KDX, do the RB mods and love your bike the way it is. To me, the biggest improvement is the suspension, ergos, and handling. My hybrid is a blast to ride. While I can still putt around like before, I can now take trails at almost twice the speed, with more control than ever before. The bike just eats bumps up, and it feels like it's part of my body. Almost like it can anticipate what I'm about to do with it. My hybrid also feels substantially lighter. It's a lot more nimble. The KDX chassis was fun, but it was definitely holding me back, and I found myself struggling to keep up with my friends in the technical stuff. Not the case with the hybrid at all. It's the MX geometry and feel that makes me love this bike. Even though I trail ride and NEVER see the track, I like the MX geometry and suspension, so I won't be changing a thing. I can push the bike a lot harder and it just gives me more and more. But I realize a hybrid is not for everyone. Hope that helps.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

I like the shortness of the kx chassis. Doesn't feel as top heavy. Me being a shorter rider this means alot to me. Feels like it turns tighter or not as "fall over" if this makes any sense. Maybe it was just hopefulness, but yes it feels lots snappier in the kx chassis. I personally wouldn't trade my bike for anything out there.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I also have a motocross bike, and I prefer the KDX in the woods-by a mile. It's shorter, quicker turning and softer. Everything I want in a woods bike. I don't like it on the motocross track, though.
Ontario, Canada
onionjello

Post by onionjello »

I have owned two KDX 220's
One was stock except for a FMF gnarly pipe. I found it to be a decent and comfortable trail bike but it was horrible on the track compared with my 05 KX125 and my 06 CRF250.
The other KDX220 had the front forks from a 98 KX250, FMF Gnarly pipe, head mod, carb mod, and V-Force reeds. It handled better than the stock bike, turned better, and was more powerful.
I just recently finished building my first hybrid (05 KX with 03 KDX220 motor) and it is the best combination of a light and nimble chassis with the low end torque KDX motor. Works on the track and the trails.
The KDX chassis doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the KX does.
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

The KDX is prone to wheelies because of the short swingarm, stands up in berms, and the suspension is limiting on a track.
putting the motor in a kx or cr chassis fixes these problems and for the most part it remains a good trail bike.
I have both, i still like my modded kdx for trails and fun rides with friends or family. My hybrid i love for racing hare scrambles.