Hyde skid plate on a hybrid?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
FRECNDY

Hyde skid plate on a hybrid?

Post by FRECNDY »

Found some threads about the Hyde skid plates on KDXs elsewhere on the site, but nothing in this forum about them. Is anybody using one on their hybrid? Does the KX skid plate fit the water pump, etc. of the KDX motor, or does the KDX skid plate adapt to the KX frame? Or neither?

I see it seems like most guys just add the frame loops like the KDX has stock, but that doesn't really do anything to prevent beating the heck out of the frame tubes on rocks. Not really something I want to do after investing to build a hybrid.

I could see it would be hard for Hyde to develop a skidplate just for hybrids, as in spite of the popularity, the actual volume is low, and there are so many different combinations of frame and engine. And until someone starts banging out standardized kits, the mounting and thus case position is likely to be a little different on all of them, at least the ones that don't just fix the engine position by recycling the stock head stays on a '99-02 frame.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you get an aluminum plate for a KDX, you should be able to bend it to fit the KX frame. But if you get a plastic/polymer/carbon fiber plate, then I'm not sure how well you'll be able to get it to fit.

Since you've made a custom bike, you mine as well build a custom plate to get it to fit and protect exactly how you want. If you search around here, you can find some examples of plates that others have made. THIS is the plate I made.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:
Since you've made a custom bike, you mine as well build a custom plate to get it to fit and protect exactly how you want. If you search around here, you can find some examples of plates that others have made. THIS is the plate I made.
+1
THill

Post by THill »

Frank thats going to be a nice strong plate , good work....

I just finshed up today making a 03 KX plate from Moose fit my # 2 bike.
ALOT of cutting, bending , beating , heating , test fitting then do it all over again...FINALLY got it fitting like I wanted..no easy way making one fit..
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..