Hybrid Plunge

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

I want to do a KX for my next one!
market

Post by market »

another question......did ypu change the radiators too??

are the stock cr125 radiators too small for a 220 hybrid?

thanks!!! :partyman:
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

>|<>QBB<
market wrote:another question......did ypu change the radiators too??

are the stock cr125 radiators too small for a 220 hybrid?

thanks!!! :partyman:
No I used the 125 radiators. They are bigger then the 200 but the hose routing is different.
I had to use a mix of kdx, cr2125, and cr250 hoses and a cr250T.
I had to use a Dr-D radiator lowering kit in reverse to rais the radiators to clear the engine powervalve cover.

If i was to do it again i would just have the rads modded to match the KDX hose and flow pattern.
market

Post by market »

thank you!!!!! so if i use the stock radiators with the ''reverse'' lowering kit that would be all?

do you think that using a cr125 pipe for the first months (just to save some money, after some time i would pick a kdx pipe) could be ok?

probably the stock cr pipe is more small than the kdx stock so i could have some more bottom than top...am i right?

sorry for too much answers...

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I bet the CR125 pipe would be O.K. to start with. You'll have to modify it to fit the KDX cylinder. The usual way to do that is to cut the end off the KDX pipe that goes to the KDX cylinder and weld it to the CR pipe. At that time you'll be doing pipe fitment and probably adding some straight length to the CR pipe.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I bet the CR125 pipe would be O.K. to start with. You'll have to modify it to fit the KDX cylinder. The usual way to do that is to cut the end off the KDX pipe that goes to the KDX cylinder and weld it to the CR pipe. At that time you'll be doing pipe fitment and probably adding some straight length to the CR pipe.
no you cannot use the 125 pipe. the bike will not run well, and the exhaust outlet is too small, you will over heat the engine.
if anything just cut the stock pipe to fit, it is not that hard really, only two cuts or try to find a cr250 pipe.
you can weld the exhaust outlet from the kdx to the cr 250 pipe.
The revs will be off, but the bike will have lots of low end and will not overheat.
market

Post by market »

ok, but if i have to find another pipe probably a kdx pipe will be better.....a cr250 pipe isn't too big, so the bike will rev more??
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

>|<>QBB<
market wrote:ok, but if i have to find another pipe probably a kdx pipe will be better.....a cr250 pipe isn't too big, so the bike will rev more??
the best thing is a kdx pipe!
market

Post by market »

perfect, picked up on ebay a 97 kdx 220 motor.....one month and i will start my project!

the kickstart lever you used was from a ''specific'' bike or custom made?

the kips valve cover is stock or you made a ''bigger one'' like boyesen does to increase the volume for gaining low end power?

thank you so much, sorry for breaking your balls with too much questions :oops:
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

>|<>QBB<
market wrote:perfect, picked up on ebay a 97 kdx 220 motor.....one month and i will start my project!

the kickstart lever you used was from a ''specific'' bike or custom made?

the kips valve cover is stock or you made a ''bigger one'' like boyesen does to increase the volume for gaining low end power?

thank you so much, sorry for breaking your balls with too much questions :oops:
I used the stock kdx kick lever and the kips cover is stock. the cover is just painted with brake caliper paint to look trick
market

Post by market »

Thank you so much.......your bike is really the best cr/kdx hybrid i've ever seen :shock:

Again about the radiators, i don't get a thing.....you used the stock cr125 ones with cr 250 hoses and cfr 250 reverse lowering kit (which year?)...but what are the TEEs?? (sorry but i'm italian)

and what do you mean with ''rads modded to match the KDX hose and flow pattern''?

thank you again and again

:wink: :wink: :wink:
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

>|<>QBB<
market wrote:Thank you so much.......your bike is really the best cr/kdx hybrid i've ever seen :shock:

Again about the radiators, i don't get a thing.....you used the stock cr125 ones with cr 250 hoses and cfr 250 reverse lowering kit (which year?)...but what are the TEEs?? (sorry but i'm italian)

and what do you mean with ''rads modded to match the KDX hose and flow pattern''?

thank you again and again

:wink: :wink: :wink:
thanks
just raced my first scramble this weekend and the bike is better then i hoped it would be.

DR D makes cfr radiator lowering kits for crf's. they are all the same i think. Bought a set for an 05 off ebay.
Then instead of lowering the rads I raised them, just install upside down.

KDX flow is out cylinder head to bottom of left rad, up through left rad, out top of left rad and across to right rad, down right rad and into motor.
very simple.
Honda is 2 out the 125 head to the top of both rads. Then two cross overs and out the bottom right to the motor.
cr250 is the one out the head to a plastic "T" note the shape of the letter "T" because it is just that.
look at a parts manual on line for an 01 or newer cr250 and you will see what i mean.
The T splits the line into two lines one to the top of each rad like the 125.
Then you kind of have to mix match the cr and KDX hoses to make it work.
The best thing to do would be to go to a radiator shop and with the KDX rads and the CR rads and tell the shop to make the CR rads like the KDX rads and then just use the KDX houses.
At least thats what i would do next time. Cost more but way less hassel.
market

Post by market »

Thank you so much for the detailed answer....putting a pair of kdx rads will be a lot of trouble in your opinion?

what about the motor mounts that connects the cylinder head to the frame? did you use the cr-ones or the kdx-ones? probably they will have to be bended....

Thank you again! :grin:

p.s. for the silencer i was thinkin about a kx250 one.....do you know if the 03-07 models could match the kdx pipe (just for the pipe diameter of the silencer inlet and pipe outlet...)?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
market wrote: p.s. for the silencer i was thinkin about a kx250 one.....do you know if the 03-07 models could match the kdx pipe (just for the pipe diameter of the silencer inlet and pipe outlet...)?
Yep, those will match up fine with the KDX pipe. I've used a stock '04 KX250 silencer and a PC 296 s/a with the PC Plat II pipe.
market

Post by market »

Thank You Ted!!!!!......probably i will use the same combo.....i was just undecided about the pipe..... (pro circuit platinum 2 or FMF gnarly woods....) but i will ask on the forum!

:wink:
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

>|<>QBB<
market wrote:Thank You Ted!!!!!......probably i will use the same combo.....i was just undecided about the pipe..... (pro circuit platinum 2 or FMF gnarly woods....) but i will ask on the forum!

:wink:
you don't really want to use the woods pipe with the 220, especially if the terain is open. I use the gnarly desert on mine, have a bills for my kdx i have not tried yet and would like to know how the pc pipe works. I used the kdx silencer on mine but any 250 silencer seams to work well.
FRECNDY

Post by FRECNDY »

DR D makes cfr radiator lowering kits for crf's. they are all the same i think. Bought a set for an 05 off ebay.
Then instead of lowering the rads I raised them, just install upside down.

KDX flow is out cylinder head to bottom of left rad, up through left rad, out top of left rad and across to right rad, down right rad and into motor.
very simple.
Honda is 2 out the 125 head to the top of both rads. Then two cross overs and out the bottom right to the motor.
cr250 is the one out the head to a plastic "T" note the shape of the letter "T" because it is just that.
look at a parts manual on line for an 01 or newer cr250 and you will see what i mean.
The T splits the line into two lines one to the top of each rad like the 125.
Then you kind of have to mix match the cr and KDX hoses to make it work.
The best thing to do would be to go to a radiator shop and with the KDX rads and the CR rads and tell the shop to make the CR rads like the KDX rads and then just use the KDX houses.
At least thats what i would do next time. Cost more but way less hassel.
Seems like it'd be pretty clean to do it YZ250-style. One from the head to top of left radiator, two crossovers, and out the bottom of the right radiator to the water pump. The inlet at the top of the right radiator could either be capped or welded. Less pressure loss for a given flow rate than the KDX routing, and should be equal flow through left and right radiators, unlike the Honda which seems like it would favor the right radiator.
sixstringsteve

Post by sixstringsteve »

I just gotta say, I love this build. I'll be building one just like it soon.